The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Agents and Publishing and such

I are angry Bengal. Project nachonaco's Avatar

Agents and Publishing and such

I am unfamiliar with the process, still. LOL.

Will I get to pick my publisher after I get an agent, if a ton of them offer?

Ooo! Shiny new cover! Absolute Sage Cathy C's Avatar
    If a ton of them offer ( ) at approximately the same time, then yes, you will probably get your pick. If there is high interest from multiple parties, the agent SHOULD initiate an "auction" where each publisher submits sealed bids and then the agent will try to up the ante with each of them to find you the best overall deal (not just necessarily the best money, but the best terms overall.)

However, what often happens is that one or two will offer right away, and others will be slower. That has happened to us. We got just one offer on the initial round and took it. Right about the time it hit the shelf the following year, another publisher FINALLY got around to reading it and wanted to deal, then just this past week a third publisher called our agent and wanted it (it's now been on the shelf for nearly A YEAR!) With any luck, we can sell the other two publishers something else, since they liked the first one.

But yes, it can happen, and I hope it does for you.
    Want FREE reads? Click here!

Smiles!
    Cathy Clamp
    USA Today bestselling author
    ILLICIT, coming 7/16!
    My Website
    Follow me: Twitter
    Now on Facebook! Come friend me!

"An entertaining (and occasionally very dark) mystery." -- Locus

"[Shapeshifter] fans are about to hit the jackpot as Clamp returns to re-energize this amazing series. Searching for layered plotlines and complex characters? Look no further, as Clamp truly delivers!" -- RT BookReviews

"Cathy Clamp is a visionary author, creating new worlds that are both strong and vividly drawn. Adventure and excitement at its best." -- Yasmine Galenorn, New York Times Bestselling Author

"A struggling community under attack, compelling action, characters struggling with dark secrets ... FORBIDDEN hit all my favorite notes, and I love the rich world of the Sazi!" - Rachel Caine, New York Times Bestselling Author

Preditors & Editors Requiescat In Pace DaveKuzminski's Avatar
    I can echo Cathy's remarks about one publisher wanting a book after another has already accepted. Had it happen to one of mine, too.
    When it comes to PA, the royalty check and the reality check arrive in the same envelope.

Remember to be kind to writers who step in PA. They really don't know how bad it smells.

The difference between PA and WLA? None. Both have the stench of dead and dying books emanating from their doorways.