Status
Not open for further replies.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Hey~ Not sure if this is the place for this, but anywho.

Do you ever get this? You're editing, slaving over sentences, trying to make your work good, ect. Then you get to a line, or something a character says, or a plot point, and even if the rest of it was crap, you suddenly think:

I/my characters/my plot/my setting/my climax/my turning point/my prose

is damn brilliant.

I think it's possibly the only thing that keeps me from fading into my cup of coffee when I'm line editing.

Just wondered if anyone else got that :) If so, what was it that made you go: If I was an agent/publisher ect, I would option out movie rights on that "thing" alone.

For me, it's my characters, and one paragraph of prose. That's it - the rest needs a hell of a lot of work.

But that stuff makes it worthwhile:)

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
Yes! This happens to me and it's a great feeling. It's typically just one line of brilliance.. but maybe one day it'll be a whole paragraph or chapter, lol.

Stunted

Ich heiße Superphantastisch!
Registered
Reaction score
Ug. This hasn't happened to me in ages. Time to start a new project.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I was so happy when I edited Hero/Villain, and still loved it. Sure there were scenes I was less excited about, but I just kept getting lost in the story or finding brilliant lines or loving my characters, even the 2nd or 3rd time through.

lvae

oh so shiny
Registered
Reaction score
I think it is a writing thing, what makes me come back and back again, because I love the feeling when everything just comes together and starts making amazing and beautiful sense (to me).

I will say though, that sometimes those happy special feelings are a bit off kilter. I used to be obsessed... really obsessed... with the whole private school secret society thing. I thought it was the coolest and most original thing ever. Of course, once I finished writing that book and the sparkliness of actually finishing died, I suddenly realised that there were a whole lot of books that explored that exact plot. :p

I think the thing I like best about my writing is plotting. Very often, the separate ideas have been in my head for ages, and then somehow one day, I link ideas together and then voila, it somehow forms a story. It is the nuances that are hard to pin down, and the characters, and consistency...

Mercurio Cavaldi

A shrubbery!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denizkuypers.com
Most of the time I hate what I have written. My wife often asks me why I write when I hate it so much. But what she doesn't understand is that I don't hate writing -- I LOVE it when everything comes together and works out beautifully, but it's a hard, long, painful journey to get there.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, every so often specific sentences make my heart flutter and/or pound really hard as I write them. So thrilling every time.

BradleyWilliams

New kid, no need to be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I love the voice in my head. I love the way it sounds to me. However, what I really love is when someone else reads what I have written and they hear the voice in my head the same way I hear it.

That's what keeps me going.

Danthia

Totally. And those lines are almost always ones that get edited out later :) Either I decide they don't work, or my editor kills them.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one that read the title and thought it was dirty? lol.

I'm bipolar toward my writing. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it. C'est la vie.

hammers

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to yo yo, one day I think that my work is brilliant, then the next day I tend to think it's terrible and that no agent will ever take me on. It's only because I love the actual story and characters and that I want other people to be able to read it that I keep going.

*Starry eyed* x

Dot Hutchison

Falling through Clockwork
Registered
Reaction score
Usually it's character pieces for me. There'll be this moment, either tender or ridiculous, and it either makes me melt or cracks me up because it just feels perfect.

And half of them don't make the final cut. Usually the funny ones. As entertaining as they are, they usually detract rather than add, usually a rhythm thing. It makes me sad to see them go, but I have my original draft with them in there, so I can go back and reminisce, and still feel like I've made progress as a writer.

HayleytheScribbler

will write for cake
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hayleyvornholt.com
I love moments like that, when something just seems so perfect. There's always the "Wait a minute, did I really write that??!" and you get to be all giddy and happy for a moment until you read the next sentence, which most of the time ends up being complete crap (especially after the brilliance you just read). Oh well, more editing!

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
I'm bloody brilliant all the time. When I decide to query, agents will bow to my superior awesomeness.

....Delusional? What is this delisional that you speak of?

Luke King

Registered
Reaction score
The bits you like the best are the bits you later regret. When I get that, "Oh, this is brilliant feeling," I think twice, and long, and hopefully end up convincing myself to take whatever it is out. If I don't, I know I'm going to hate myself later. The feeling that tells you something is good is the "this seems okay, that works, I think that says what I mean" feeling.

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Depends what you mean by brilliant I think. Yes - a lot of sentences and prose I like gets the cut. But to me the things that are brilliant are the ones that do their job with as much powerful as possible - thus giving meaning and dragging the reader head first into the book. Often for me, they take a lot of work and a lot of drafts to actually get any in the first place. So if you like, the pretty ones are at the start, and they give you the moral booster to keep going. Then you go and hack and cut and sweat, and the occasional brilliant, succinct sentence that does its job excellently without jumping up and down is your reward at the end.
I don't know. They both keep me going. And it's not just prose - I don't know many writers who would go back to their story day in day out if they didn't adore their characters, or at least find in interesting to see what they would do if tortured constantly by the plot.
So I think both types are good - their place in a published work takes more thinking on, however

OpheliaRevived

Real Men Have Gills
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My current WIP is BRILLIANT - well, the second half. LOL I HATE the first ten chapters, but they get me to the AMAZING Chapters 11-21. :roll: Unfortunately, if I ever want to get an agent I need to make the first half shiny.

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sometimes I will be reading my work, and a very warm, calm feeling will come over me. It's not: "I'm brilliant!" It's more: "Yes. This is exactly how I want it to read."

Even better than that, I think, is when you give it to other people (alphas, betas ect) and they agree. :)

(Although sometimes the information ect that they get from you writing is actually not what you meant - but better. That's quite weird for me. Because technically you've failed, but you've come up with a better interpretation.)

BlackBriar

Bricoleur
Registered
Reaction score
ers/my plot/my setting/my climax/my turning point/my prose

is damn brilliant.

This is EXACTLY how I feel, except that I experience the EXACT opposite!!! ;)

Or maybe not. I have been a bit more confident lately about my writing, but its brilliance is still for an agent/editor to decide in the near to not so near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.