Hello From The UK

milkymoon

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings from ridiculously sunny England. Can't believe how wonderful the weather has been for the last two weeks.

I'm from Brighton and it's another glorious day here.

x

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Always good to have more Brits on board

Saffron

Registered
Reaction score
Hi to my fellow UKers. I'm in gorgeous Devon, originally from Nottingham with Brighton thrown in along the way.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Huh...we have a UK thread...lol

Well hullo from us slow 'n's in Staffordshire.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in East Anglia. It's nice to find others from the UK too :) You understand my phrasing hehe

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
On July 19th 18.30-20.30, the T-Party Writers Group is running a 'Meet the Agent' event with literary agent Meg Davis at The George, Strand (opposite the Law Courts). We are throwing this open to AWers though we will charge £5 towards the cost of the room

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Hello to all you newbies from the depths of the Devon countryside! Oh and hi to Saffron, fellow Devonian - get on you janner and all that (yes, I'm from Plymouth, and no, I don't know any more Devonian slang ;) ) xx

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
Lol, the UK. I'm an immigrant from Australia - wtf am I doing here?? First thing I'm usually asked after intros.

I love the rain, the cold, autumns - my English wife, and the English people most of all... well usually, but meh no one's perfect.

So hello UK everyone great to see you're here!!!

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm... beautiful, sunny Brighton, Devon, East Anglia, etc? Harumph!!

Hello from the Grim North! No, I'm not a real Geordie, but it seems to be my current occupation!

envision

novice novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm... beautiful, sunny Brighton, Devon, East Anglia, etc? Harumph!!

Hello from the Grim North! No, I'm not a real Geordie, but it seems to be my current occupation!

What part of the North? I went to school in Sunderland and I adopted a guest family near Durham :). I'm not originally from northern England, but it seemed quite friendly when I was living there.

P.S. I don't think I would ever be able to understand the Geordie dialect. I tried asking a Geordie store clerk if they had pans and the only word I could understand was "no".

caspermac

Registered
Reaction score
I'm from Highlands of Scotland and it's true about the weather, we have 25*C at the moment. Mind you at the beginning of April we had sun, rain and hailstones in the space of two hours.

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
What part of the North? I went to school in Sunderland and I adopted a guest family near Durham :). I'm not originally from northern England, but it seemed quite friendly when I was living there.

P.S. I don't think I would ever be able to understand the Geordie dialect. I tried asking a Geordie store clerk if they had pans and the only word I could understand was "no".

Hi envision. I'm in Northumberland. Lived in Newcastle upon Tyne for a while but have moved even norther (Yes, it's a word! Believe it! Love it!).

I see that you were once a Maccam, which means that officially I have to hate you. Sorry. Never been to Sunderland, but I love Durham!

The Geordie accent: After over five years here, I can only understand about every ten words my father-in-law says! When I first arrived I thought everyone was speaking Dutch! Of course, I'm particularly challenged, being American and all. Yes, I admit it! :D

Which part are you from? Of the southerly bits, I've visited Norwich, Bath, London, Devon and Cornwall. Loved them all!

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Devon's been dreary for weeks, but now finally it's sunny and boiling hot. Good news for the holidaymakers, who are piling into nearby Salcombe, but bad news for us yokels who live here, stuck in traffic behind lots of shiny 4x4s and about 500 caravans in a row!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Hi envision. I'm in Northumberland. Lived in Newcastle upon Tyne for a while but have moved even norther (Yes, it's a word! Believe it! Love it!).

Where are you?
My writing group (with 4/5 AWers) is doing a writing week up that way at the end of August

JenniferB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingcocoon.blogspot.com
Hi everyone - American here, crashing the thread, but I am a UK resident. I live near Leeds and it was the same temperature (23), all day long, two days in a row. And it wasn't windy. Almost makes me forget last winter.

I thought North Yorkshire accent took getting used to, then I worked with a Geordie, and I didn't understand a word. Thought it was my American ears, but none of my English co-workers could understand him, either. So bizarre to know you're hearing your mother tongue, but still find it incomprehensible. That was rough. Nice kid, though. I think.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Hello to all UK newbies! I live in Eastbourne, soon to be moving to High Wycombe (Buckinghamshire) and Germany.... figure that one out, if you can!

Today nice and sunny, and it's off to the beach with a book for me.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
My shell was born and lives in Chicago. My heart was born in Cornwall. I get across the Pond as often as I can. I won't be coming "home" again until '14, when we attend the WorldCon in the newly rebuilt Docklands area. Friends in Watford, Exmouth and points further north.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Californian who stupidly fled the sunshine and moved to Aberdeen, Scotland. My husband's Aberdonian. I'm feeling particularly homesick this 'summer'.