Hello From The UK

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, the Percys? Great period. It's one of those 'what if' periods, isn't it? What if Anne Boleyn had been allowed to marry young Percy a few years earlier, etc., etc?

Sounds fascinating - best of luck with it!

Thanks!
I have an imaginary noble family based in the Dales, but they're related to the Percys.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
I would say, wait until you think you've taken your work as far as you can yourself, maybe get a beta-reader or two if possible, and then see what you think about attending an event.

That's my thinking as well. These events do look like I could learn a lot from them, but first I need to see if there is a cheaper way to learn this stuff! Same with paid critiques - if I can't get to grips with improving my novel based on my own critical faculties and what a bunch of beta readers say, then I would probably find it worth investing the money in it, but I suspect at this stage there is probably stuff to be said that is basic enough that it doesn't need a professional to pick up on it.

etcetc

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

Yeah I think that's fair - always best to ensure that you've got all the free advice you can first, to make sure you're not paying for stuff you already know...

They're interesting though - I think perhaps it's something I'd try if I started submitting to agents and was getting rejected - sort of a mid-point thing. They do look like a pretty professional outfit though.

Johny Moir

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a bit further north in not so sunny Dundee, potential city of culture don't you know!

I'm attempting to write a YA science fiction novel, and would love to know some other people up here that also have an interest in writing, but local searches are not turning up very much! Apparently plenty of "getting pished" clubs for people my age though!

ClareDugmore

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm another UKer, from the West Midlands; just outside of Dudley. I'd love to chat to some other writers from the West Mids. :D

CyanideBreakfast

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm still trying to find my way around this place but figured I'd come and say hi to people who live erm 'nearby'.

I'm from a wee village near the town of Paisley, in Scotland. (In other words I'm a 20-30 minute drive from Glasgow).

Any other Scots around? =D

Slamhamster

Registered
Reaction score
The sunny climes of Barnsley, South Yorkshire. No
Nice to see a thread if UKers! I'm Sara, very newly joined, although been lurking for a while, I'm from Leeds, Yorkshire.

Anyone else from the northern wastelands?!

I am indeed, currently residing in the balmy climes of Barnsley but with Hull roots.

And hello to Kahless, whom I suspect may be the Kahless from the SFX forum.

Elmvine

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone from... well pretty much any part of London Borough.

millymollymo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.millymollymo.com
Thats one heck of a commute you have laurajs.

I'm new here, and exploring the many forums, sub forums, threads and cross threads. Having lost myself at the last signpost, I figured I should say hi to the locals ;)

"HI"

If you had to put a pin in the map you'd be near enough my place by sticking it in Hull.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I'm from a wee village near the town of Paisley, in Scotland. (In other words I'm a 20-30 minute drive from Glasgow).

Any other Scots around? =D

Yes. Lurking very close. ;)

I used to come here, and then I stopped, but now I'm back. Hurrah! I'm sure everyone's thrilled.

laurajs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.laurashepperson.com
Hi, Lady Silver - it's actually okay (although I'd rather not have to leave the house at all!) 30 mins into King's Cross. The difficult bit is getting from King's Cross to work - London Underground is never as efficient as it promises!
I've never actually been to Hull - do you recommend it?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really rather near Crowthorne too (ignore the London listing)

hologram

I'm broken I need repaired!
Registered
Reaction score
I am no longer in East Midlands in England, I'm in the Highlands of Scotland. :)

millymollymo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.millymollymo.com
Hi, Lady Silver - it's actually okay (although I'd rather not have to leave the house at all!) 30 mins into King's Cross. The difficult bit is getting from King's Cross to work - London Underground is never as efficient as it promises!
I've never actually been to Hull - do you recommend it?

30 minute commute - and then crossing city to work. Not for me! I don't know how you southerners put up with all that hubbub. ;)
Hull has it's good parts, the Fruit Market is just swimming with possibilities at the minute. Like any city, it has it's ups and downs though.