Hello From The UK

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I have relatives in England. Mum's side of the family. They mostly live in Hereford and Derby. My brother is currently over there living about an hour away from Hereford, though I can't remember the town name...

Anyone been to these sleepy little places?

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Last edited:

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Now I feel guilty for slagging Slough - who apparently have good curry.

and friendly bombs.

I have relatives in England. Mum's side of the family. They mostly live in Hereford and Derby.

Anyone been to these sleepy little places?

Derby's not sleepy. It's a quite big, grim "are you looking at my pint, you big southern jessie?" sort of place. Great countryside, though. I've not been to Hereford, though it does sound sleepy. It's home to a very small football club where, according to legend, the SAS (based "somewhere near Wales") once turned up in the home end in order to give the visiting Wolverhampton fans an etiquette lesson.

hammers

Registered
Reaction score
I am also in the UK, from Essex although some people call the area I live greater London

Blue Istari

Registered
Reaction score
Website
amysanderson.wordpress.com
Never mind.
Come to EasterCon in Birmingham next year, it'll be a better con, and sign up for the writing workshop

Tempting, very tempting! Will have to see how the money situation is in a few months (it's got to be better than it is now, at any rate).

Derby's not sleepy. It's a quite big, grim "are you looking at my pint, you big southern jessie?" sort of place.

Hah! Best description of Derby I've ever read! :D

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
This does not compute.

Put it like this. When confronted with cider that is twice the strength of the stuff you usually drink, you should consider that you'll get rat-arsed substantially quicker. At least I provided some amusement...

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Put it like this. When confronted with cider that is twice the strength of the stuff you usually drink, you should consider that you'll get rat-arsed substantially quicker. At least I provided some amusement...

Isn't that like the whole point? :D

But I jest. I don't actually like to get rat-arsed.

I'm a bad viking, I know. I blame that on my french genes.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I've only been to Hereford - never made it to Derby. My grandad always describes Derby as "the small little town where I grew up." Of course, that was before WW2, so... I guess it's expanded?

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I'll vouch for that
It was a vouchworthy evening? I told Dave he was cute and cuddly, and that's true...Other occurrences may have..occured.

Isn't that like the whole point? :D

But I jest. I don't actually like to get rat-arsed.

I'm a bad viking, I know. I blame that on my french genes.

YOU'RE FRENCH!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
My grandad barracks for Derby County FC, but they always seem to lose.

If you ever attend a game where Derby is playing, please, by all means, yell out to the players, "You're disappointing an old man in Australia!!!" They'll be so confused, they'll give away a penalty to the team you're actually there to see play. :D

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
My grandad barracks for Derby County FC, but they always seem to lose.

If you ever attend a game where Derby is playing, please, by all means, yell out to the players, "You're disappointing an old man in Australia!!!" They'll be so confused, they'll give away a penalty to the team you're actually there to see play. :D

I believe Sheepshaggers is the correct form of abuse for Derby fans. Or bleating come on Derby, maaaaaaaaaa in your best sheep voice.

I don't know whether it's true that they walk a ram around their pitch before kick-off, but I like to think so.

jlasserton

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
HI! I'm not from the UK. But I'm hoping to travel there in the next couple of months. I will be staying in London mostly. Could anyone recommend some "must-sees" aside from the well-known ones?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Must see: the bottom of a pint of Guinness.

:D

Where's Stonehenge in relation to London? When I went to England at 12 years old, I missed out on seeing Stonehenge by insisting we went to the Lego factory instead. Yeah. Culture. I has it.

But if I ever make it back to England, Stonehenge is on my list. :)

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Stonehenge is a Grade A disappointment. It's spoiled by noise, near a main road, has a shitty gift shop and a grim tunnel to access the site (which is roped off, so don't go expecting to actually touch a stone or anything).

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
HI! I'm not from the UK. But I'm hoping to travel there in the next couple of months. I will be staying in London mostly. Could anyone recommend some "must-sees" aside from the well-known ones?

London is a HUGE city, it will all depend on when you're arriving and what you're looking to do. You can do touristy things for a week and still not have done half of it.

Must see: the bottom of a pint of Guinness.

:D

Where's Stonehenge in relation to London? When I went to England at 12 years old, I missed out on seeing Stonehenge by insisting we went to the Lego factory instead. Yeah. Culture. I has it.

But if I ever make it back to England, Stonehenge is on my list. :)

What? Go to England and drink Irish beer? Newcastle Brown Ale should be a suitable substitute, I suppose.

Like was said before, Stonehenge is a great disappointment.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. I'd heard that Stonehenge was roped off. But I'd still like to see it, just like I'd like to see the pyramids and the sphinx. It's all pretty much boring - I mean, you just stand there, look at something, then go on your way. But still... it'd be something to do if I ever had too much cash I didn't know what to do with (yeah, like that'll ever happen...).

:)

hammers

Registered
Reaction score

Covent garden and south bank are quite good they are usually full of street entertainers. You could also go see a football match if you like football, and even if you dont it can be quite an experience.

Have fun.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Stonehenge is about 60 miles SW of London and requires a train ride followed by a bus ride to get there.
If you're staying any length of time in London go to this site http://www.tfl.gov.uk/ and sort out a visitor's travel pass. Paying for tube/bus rides one at a time is expensive.
The museums are good. Hampton Court Palace is on the edge of London and well worth a visit.
There's plenty of good beer brewed in London (e.g. Fullers) that you don't have to drink that northern filth

hammers

Registered
Reaction score
I think that stonehenge is a lot further than 60 miles from London, I could be wrong though.