Korean cultural and familial customs (modern)

yungchic

Kid trapped in an adult's body.
Registered
Reaction score
I recently completed a manuscript but after posting Chapter 1 on this forum, I've realized that it is riddled with inconsistencies. I am now seeking any information that any member may have on familial interactions within Korean families. Any sites which offer this in detail that you can recommend will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
not sure how much is individual and how much is culture

One of my Sisters in law is from Korea. She's reluctant to explain customs to westerners and seems to want it to be a trial by error, but what I've gathered from my brother, and seen for myself, there seem to be several subcultures within all that is Korean. I don't know if the subcultures split among family lines or regional or religious. The only one that I noticed was urban vs rural. The main one that seems to unify them is dislike of Japan (due to what happened in WW2) Things that I I've done that apparently offended her...
My house is too big.
I live on a farm. (Geese walk on the driveway, and tend to poop when they walk)
I served too much meat at one meal. (It wasn't that there weren't enough vegetables. She's not a vegetarian. It was that meat was free choice for those eating, as much as they wanted)
I raised, butchered and cooked the pig I served. (She was of the opinion that one person shouldn't do all those things, that I should have hired people to do that. In my religion you should at least once in a while partake of all the chores involved in your meal. So it's a religion clash, but I just don't get her point of view, that it's somehow wrong)
I wear shoes in my house.
The guest room bed was too high. She pulled the mattress off the frame so as to sleep on the floor.
I am allergic to fish. (She was offended when I couldn't eat her california rolls, but OTOH was pleased that I wanted to learn how to make them and even left me a jar of wasabi and a jar of pickled ginger.)

All that said, since she speaks so little English, and the only Korean I recognize is "Yobo", what she calls my brother and "Hajima" which seems to mean the same as the Jaffa word, "Kree," it could be simply that my brother is mistranslating stuff, and he's just enough of a joker that he might be doing that deliberately.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I don't have any sites to recommend, but I attended a Korean church for several years. (I went to the English service.) I got to know a lot of the families well and might be able to answer any specific questions you might have if you're talking about Korean-Americans. If it's Koreans in Korea, I'm probably useless. :)

yungchic

Kid trapped in an adult's body.
Registered
Reaction score
thanks for the help you guys. my storyis based in america so the customs of korean americans would come in, though some of the characters are also native koreans, which I would also need guidance on.