September 2010 JHS

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Okay people, I'm posting this now to invite you all to share your JHS for September. Everyone's been a.w.o.l. and I miss you guys! lol So, I'm starting the party by saying that I'm interning with WOW-womenonwriting.com and will be blogging for them on The Muffin blog. :D That and getting back on track with my writing after having a very flaky, stressed out summer due to my dayjob. So, I'm reorganizing and writing as much as possible. Get-back-to-school time is get-back-to-writing time! lol
Who's next!?

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Heeeyyyy!!!! Where IS everyone!? Guess I'll be reporting. lol I posted on both The Freshman Writer and my portfolio about self-doubt this week, am organizing my writing life a bit so I can start fresh again after several months of not writing at all. I'm also going to focus again on magazine writing so I can make some extra money. Because I soo need it. My dayjob's not giving me a raise this year or next and I really need it. So I'll give it to myself with writing. The writing gig has been going very well and will keep on going. Other than that, nothing much to report. lol

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
I'm LATE!
I'M LATE!!

Okay. :: phew :: Here I am. :: gasps :: Let me catch my breath. Here goes!!!

September goals:
  1. Blog for Suite101.com daily.
  2. Blog on my website daily.
  3. At least one Suite101.com: Mixed-Media Arts article per week
  4. Make my income goal for DemandStudios.com (it's high, so I'm going to need a LOT of support here ... I have GOT TO do this.)
  5. At least two articles for BrightHub.com per week.
  6. Finish the next book in my journal & writing prompt series.
  7. At least 10 articles for InternetBrands.com
  8. At least one article for Maine Education Examiner per day (if not more)
  9. Pitch more art classes to local adult and community education programs.
I'm sure I'll edit this to add more goals, as well as more details to the ones I've already got on here. I hope to see more familiar faces!

Last edited:

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
Whew! I'm here, too. I went into hiding in August to get away from the black cloud over my head. *peeks out* Looks like it's clear now, though.

Heiddi--That's so exciting about WOW and the Muffin blog. I'd love to hear more about it!

Jenn, you'll knock out that to-do list. You're super organized and dedicated. (And these days I wish I was close enough to get eggs from you!)

I'm renewing my efforts on an extensive project and I need to get some income sources going since August picked my pockets. Cheerleaders are welcome. Large inheritances are encouraged.

Here's to a better September!

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
How's the book coming, Amy? Jenn, I missed your lists!!! Happy to see them (and you)! Raven, love your motivation! You'll do it!

Okay, I'm not sure what's on tap for September since I haven't gotten all my assignments yet.

So far, it's basically just the regular gigs:

5 posts per week at www.creditshout.com
2 posts per week at my new Examiner site, Long Island Baby & Toddler Gear
1 post per week at www.longislandexchange.com
5 posts per week for ghostwriting gig

I'm also pitching a new column idea to www.omtimes.com and will keep everyone posted. :)

I'm finishing an eBook (ghostwritten) and right now, I have:

1 magazine feature due mid-September
10 500-word articles due Monday
20 blog posts due Monday

So yes, I have a busy weekend ahead of me, but really it's down to 8 500-word articles and if I get off this forum and get done it will be 5 by tomorrow.

I'm really visualizing getting at least 2 more magazine features, and another call for pitches from one of my favorite editors. Fingers crossed.

My financial goal for September is $10K and if the stars align and I keep all my regular stuff plus land a few magazine assignments, it could happen.

If nothing comes over the transom, I'll start working on my own e-courses and website. :)

Dawn

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone - it's been ages! Just back from a lovely 3-week vacation; wrote fiction the entire time (well, when I had a spare moment). Hope everyone had a fantastic summer as well.

But now back to money-making stuff:

1. Complete and submit 1200 word article for magazine #1
2. Research and outline 1800 word article for magazine #2
3. Complete and submit query #1
4. Submit old query to new market.
5. 18 DS articles.

It's kind of a lot for me since DH is traveling for most of this month and I'm on my own with the little ones, but I'm gonna try....

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
Eeek, it's September already!
Sky, so glad to hear about the new gig--the news about the Muffin is tops! (hee hee)

Jenn, I get tired just reading your list.

Amy, get to work! Now! Write! Hyah!

Cat, you go, girl! Wow. Sounds like you've really got it going on!

Cleopatra, good luck with the queries! I've noticed DS has some good titles lately, hope you get the ones you like.

Here's my list, although if there's a typo, pardon me, because I'm not going to read this list back or the length of it will scare me into inaction. Deer in headlights.

Send out next round of queries for WZ book.
Research more agents.
Update WZ proposal.
Promote Zombie Week coming up on the WZ site. (There's a zombie horoscope contest, interviews with Stacey Graham and Lyle Perez, and a copy of 'Hungry For Your Love to be won!)
Continue working on my platform (extend beta-testing of my WZ random horoscope app for Android, plot out newsletters, think up services, make StumbleUpon my new BFF)
Do interviews, research and photo gathering for three travel articles, one due this month, other two due beg. of October
Fit in as many DS articles as I can
Plot out a novel outline so I can rough draft it in Nov for NaNoWriMo
...and there's more that I *should* be doing, but my brain starts to leak when I think about it, LOL.

Oh, and cheer Amy on. Yay Doodle! Go Doodle! Quit Doodling and get back to writing! :)

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Amy - Thanks so much. I'm interning with WOW and the blogging will be part of my role there. :)
Cat - Thanks for the support mama. I'm trying really hard to hold on to my motivation and positive thoughts. Your goals sound great! You can do it mama!
Jenn - welcome back doll. I missed your list. lol
Cleo - glad to hear about the magazine querying. I'm working on that as well. :)
Plaid - thanks mama. I'm so excited for you about zombie week and all things related to zombies. Lol way to go!
Well, I didn't schedule my posts yet, was lazy this weekend. I'm also reorganizing and moving from one bedroom to the master bedroom. Little by little decluttering, recycling and throwing stuff out. I found one of my stories that's mostly done, just need to format it and send it to the market I matched to it. If it weren't for my self-doubt, I'd polish it up and send it out to them. We'll see.

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Amy - Rah, rah, sis boom bah! Write! Write! Write! (Is that good cheerleading - unfortunately, I don't have an inheritance to give you).
Cat - That's a really sweet financial goal. I hope you meet it!
Jenn- Whew! That's a lot of work - good luck!
Sky- good to be in contact again! Looks like you're back on track with the writing. Hope all goes well!
Plaid - good plan, but I'm curious - what's WZ?

As for me, I forgot that I want to update my Expat Freelancer and International Mama blogs at least once per week. And also, I should have been more explicit - these aren't magazine queries I'm working on - they're features for two national niche magazines - one of which I've been wanting to write for for ages! I'm excited since if all goes well, it'll give me a nice travel clip from a print magazine.

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Okay so I checked up on that market and found the guidelines updated. They're no longer accepted unsolicited fiction manuscripts so I posted a new thread looking for an appropriate market. I also did a search for markets to see if it would be a good fit anywhere else. We'll see.

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys! So ... I got a job in the "real world" over the weekend, which means my writing is probably going to go downhill for a bit while I adjust and figure out how to juggle them both.

Goals for the month:
Figure out how to juggle both carrers
Send out five queries
Work on article for trade mag

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Raven!!!! So happy to hear from you and congrats on the job mama! You can do it babe! :)

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
BTW - Got a paycheck for my post at Flaimahmy.com (Flymommy.com) and a second paycheck for my tweeting efforts for Momslikeme! Woohoo!!!!

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
Sorry for being MIA! I hardly get on this board anymore compared to the "good ol days!" I'm having a hard time keeping up with my goals this month because my entire house has been sharing a cold that just won't go away. Plus, there's been a plethora of personal issues attacking my mind, which is proving difficult to focus on anything else. However, I received a small paycheck today from InternetBrands.com as a gentle reminder that - even though I'm not doing much, I'm still doing SOMETHING. I'll continue plugging along on this, as well as my college efforts, as best as I can. :)

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Hang in there, Jenn! You can do it. And you continue to be an inspiration to us all!

As for my September status?

5 posts per week at www.creditshout.com - Done, and a week ahead. Please check out the blog and leave a comment if you'd like. I love this website!

2 posts per week at my new Examiner site, Long Island Baby & Toddler Gear -
Well, Examiner hasn't posted my first article yet, so I refuse to write more until they do.

1 post per week at www.longislandexchange.com - My editor only wants one every 2 weeks, got the interview done for next week.

5 posts per week for ghostwriting gig - Done AND ahead by a week... :)

I'm also pitching a new column idea to www.omtimes.com and will keep everyone posted. :) - Decided to hold off on this because of new projects coming in.

1 magazine feature due mid-September - Done, 4,000 words and the editor loved it. Too bad it's not pay by the word, I would have cleaned up. LOL

10 500-word articles due Monday - Got this done with flying colors... by Tuesday. But that was okay.

20 blog posts due Monday - Finished these over the weekend before they were due.

EBook is also DONE, along with the marketing copy! It was kind of anti-climactic, I don't know if I was expecting streamers and balloons to fall from the sky or band music to play, but it was like, "Okay, I wrote a book. It's about FREAKIN' Time. Next project..."

I have to add to my list, all due in the next 2 weeks: I got a copywriting assignment for a 20-page website, 6 more 750-word articles, and 6 more short articles.

Plus a newsletter (print), which is in the works, and a press release, which I knocked out in two hours.

I'm getting started on another eBook assignment after the weekend, and a trade magazine feature.

Back to work...

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Jenn - hang in there mama and if you need to talk, please pm me. :) Way to go on still getting writing done! lol
Cat - okay you must be doing writing for the two of us! lol I'm so overwhelmed I haven't done much of anything. I did start writing my blogpost for The Muffin (WOW-women on writing). It's due next week so I'm trying to get my thoughts down before editing. I'll be working more on it tomorrow so I can process it all and polish it up. Still doing momslikeme. Got two paychecks this week - one for a blogpost and another for tweeting. Easy as pie! lol

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Cat. Was very exciting. Too bad I have bills to pay that I can't treat myself with it. lol

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
LOL I hear ya. Whenever I get a big assignment I think it'll be money I can "treat myself" with, but something always seems to come up. Lately it's business expenses related to the new thing -- and maternity savings.

Update - the website copy is going REALLY well. It was just a matter of getting started.

Doesn't look like I'll make my $10K goal for September, but it's been another good month for sure.

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Way to go Cat! At least you're hitting something. I've been hitting the bed because I've been exhausted from work. Though I wake up frequently due to dreams and nightmares. Anyway, I haven't been doing much writing because I've been reading a lot. So unmotivated. Blech, disgusted with myself right now.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
JI did start writing my blogpost for The Muffin (WOW-women on writing). It's due next week so I'm trying to get my thoughts down before editing. I'll be working more on it tomorrow so I can process it all and polish it up. Still doing momslikeme. Got two paychecks this week - one for a blogpost and another for tweeting. Easy as pie! lol

Just sneaking in here to comment that I love the WOW site. Jammed full of good info. I often thought about freelancing because I write so much anyway. So I'm wandering your threads to get the skinny. :D

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
History - thanks so much! I love it too. :) Get all the skinny there as well as on the threads here too. So much great info out there. Good luck and I look forward to seeing you in print! :)

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Thanks! I did mean I was snooping the threads here too. :D AW is so awesome that there is so much info on what the good paying markets are. I was reading quite a bit in the freelance forums last night. Lots to learn.

Right now I mostly do non-fic (I'm a historian) So our office has a quarterly, but thats part of my job writing for that, so nothing extra there. And I'm working ona mystery. But was thinking I could try some articles here and there. So I was checking out the links you all provided for places to write for, and how its done.

Last edited:

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Cool! Glad to help history. :) Maybe you can share your tips on writing about history? ;) All the nuances and details. :)