-- UK is a selfish hedonistic wasteland, says Senior Catholic

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
A leading adviser to the Archbishop of Westminster has blamed abortion and gay rights for turning Britain into a "selfish, hedonistic wasteland" which has become "the geopolitical epicentre of the culture of death".

Edmund Adamus, director of pastoral affairs at the diocese of Westminster and an adviser to Archbishop Vincent Nichols, said Parliament had turned Britain into a country which is more culturally anti-Catholic than nations where Christians are violently persecuted such as Saudi Arabia, China and Pakistan.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-moral-wasteland-on-equal-rights-2067112.html

Wow.

I really can't think of anything else to say than that.

Wow.

Last edited:

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Hasn't the Catholic church disliked Britain for like hundreds of years? You know, the whole protestant revolution and all that. So this guy is probably saying the same stuff that his ancestors have.

R.M. Watts

dead account
Registered
Reaction score
"hedonistic wasteland"? Where do I sign up?

...I like you. :D

I don't really have much to say beyond that. Religion is always a touchy subject to bring up, but to say the UK is, "the geopolitical epicentre of the culture of death," is a bit much to me. ;)

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
I don't really have much to say beyond that. Religion is always a touchy subject to bring up, but to say the UK is, "the geopolitical epicentre of the culture of death," is a bit much to me. ;)

Why should it be touchy if he actually said that? Unless his words are perceived to be some anti-catholic plot.

And I'm pretty speechless about it still. I mean, culture of death is pretty loaded. And claiming that the UK is worse against catholics than countries where catholics are physically persecuted.

And for what? For equal rights for gay people and for abortion rights.

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
"hedonistic wasteland?"

With cameras on every corner, plastic beer mugs, blokes who come round and check your bins to be sure you sorted your trash properly, and jail time for those screaming too enthusiastically while being rogered? Not by my definition. :D

R.M. Watts

dead account
Registered
Reaction score
Why should it be touchy if he actually said that? Unless his words are perceived to be some anti-catholic plot.

Point taken.

And you are right. How you can say gay rights and abortion is so wrong when your comrades are being persecuted is beyond me.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
but to say the UK is, "the geopolitical epicentre of the culture of death," is a bit much to me.

Hmm, he's a good member of the Holy Father's church. Send his butt to Mexico to do some outreach work. He might just rethink his position.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
We have a town in the USA where they will feel right at home:
Westboro.

Wow, googling that brings up THAT website with THAT url as the very first hit...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
No, that was the Archbishop of Canterbury, the head of the Anglican church. This is a Catholic.

Not. The Anglican Church is not Roman Catholic. It is the Church of England, established by Henry VIII when he split from the Papacy over the issue of his desire to divorce. The Archbishop of Canterbury is its titular head, essentially the Anglican Pope.

Not that it makes much difference to the philosophy involved.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Not. The Anglican Church is not Roman Catholic. It is the Church of England, established by Henry VIII when he split from the Papacy over the issue of his desire to divorce. The Archbishop of Canterbury is its titular head, essentially the Anglican Pope.

Not that it makes much difference to the philosophy involved.
Max was replying to PD. The chap talking about Sharia law was the Anglican, the chap this thread is about is the Catholic. Two people.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Well, speaking as an atheist from a English Catholic background, I'd have to say the UK does suffer from residual an anti-Catholicism which has precisely nothing to do with gay rights or abortion. It's been fading for roughly the last fifty years, thankfully, though it hasn't reached certain sectarian parts of the country.

The geopolitical epicentre of the culture of death is a great phrase, though to be honest it sounds more like Mordor than Ilkeston or Barnstaple. Selfish and hedonistic is about right, though probably not a wasteland (unless we're talking about Middlesbrough.)

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Well, speaking as an atheist from a English Catholic background, I'd have to say the UK does suffer from residual an anti-Catholicism which has precisely nothing to do with gay rights or abortion. It's been fading for roughly the last fifty years, thankfully, though it hasn't reached certain sectarian parts of the country.

The geopolitical epicentre of the culture of death is a great phrase, though to be honest it sounds more like Mordor than Ilkeston or Barnstaple. Selfish and hedonistic is about right, though probably not a wasteland (unless we're talking about Middlesbrough.)

he he. what about Luton?

Nothing new here, but unusual before the pope's visit. As for attitudes towrds Catholics - amongst the upper echelons there has always been a positive att towards Catholicism - derived pretty much from snobbery - ie, Catholic were the old religion, before 'Henry got Horny' sort of thing. Amongst the Cromwell-loving types, a very diff story (though not til way after his death). Course the amount of persecution laws from 1534 onwards made Catholicism pretty unfashionable...
Yet in current day UK, there is still a residue of respect for the Catholic thing for powerful individuals(Tony Blair, princess whatsherface, prince Charles' godson etc)

Last edited:

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing new here, but unusual before the pope's visit. As for attitudes towrds Catholics - amongst the upper echelons there has always been a positive att towards Catholicism - derived pretty much from snobbery - ie, Catholic were the old religion, before 'Henry got Horny' sort of thing. Amongst the Cromwell-loving types, a very diff story (though not til way after his death). Course the amount of persecution laws from 1534 onwards made Catholicism pretty unfashionable...

Ah well, there were always two types of Catholics. The descendents of the (I'm making a stab here) three or four aristocrats who didn't take Henry's shilling are one thing. The vast majority, though, were of Irish descent, clustered in Lancashire, Geordieland, parts of London and, most of all, the west of Scotland. Sectarianism lives on in some of those areas, and if Catholicism is no longer the threat it was once supposed to be, you suspect that's because there are now other, more visible, minorities to be feared and mistrusted.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Like I really care what they think.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
A selfish hedonistic wasteland and we rather like it that way.
Better than a guilt-ridden theocracy any day of the week

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A selfish hedonistic wasteland and we rather like it that way.
Better than a guilt-ridden theocracy any day of the week

See, we found a way to do both across the pond. You guys should work on it.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Ah well, there were always two types of Catholics. The descendents of the (I'm making a stab here) three or four aristocrats who didn't take Henry's shilling are one thing. The vast majority, though, were of Irish descent, clustered in Lancashire, Geordieland, parts of London and, most of all, the west of Scotland. Sectarianism lives on in some of those areas, and if Catholicism is no longer the threat it was once supposed to be, you suspect that's because there are now other, more visible, minorities to be feared and mistrusted.

Ah yes. Irish and Catholic is an entirely different beastie... :D