Status
Not open for further replies.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
But the Emperor can't do anything beyond help map out star travel, AFAIK. How does his existence not make a central government possible?
Well, right. He can't really do much aside from aiding astronavigation, and that's the problem. The fluff isn't even clear on whether the guy's still alive in any meaningful sense. Without the Emperor, there's no single person in the Imperium who's clearly in charge. Various factions therefore have roughly equivalent authority, and they often have conflicting priorities. Worst of all, there doesn't seem to be any form of arbitration between these factions. It's a damn mess.

And that's part of what makes it so fun.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Yep.
Warhammer, and its literature, thrive because of how they're so unrepentantly dark, but still so fun. "Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!" I'd put that in my sig if I wasn't afraid that it's a bit too dark for the boards :S
For me, the epitome of Warhammer, especially in Warhammer Fantasy, can be seen in the Malus Darkblade series. Those books are just flat-out dark in their content, immoral in scope with amoral characters (or at least their morals aren't ours). Yet it's just so cool and so fun to read. It also has some of the best dark humor I've ever had the pleasure of reading and puts it in in such a way that it doesn't disturb the mood of the story at all. Gotrek and Felix are my seconds, they're cool, but just not so wickedly awesome as Malus and Tz'arkan.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
The setting has always been one of my favorites for space opera. Dark and gothic, full of menace at every turn. Lovely.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Wrote a short review of Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War. It can be found here. I'll be posting other reviews of games, books and movies here. It's nothing really noticeable, just something I'm putting up as an example of my writing outside of fiction. I intend to put up my own reviews of each of the first Dawn of War game series. If anyone is interested I'd appreciate it if you could look over the review and see if it seems at least in the ballpark.

Status
Not open for further replies.