The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Cat 5 Music Publishing

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Cat 5 Music Publishing

Anybody with experience in the music industry? Are these guys roughly the equivalent of a vanity publisher for writers? Are they legit? Anything you can tell me would be wonderful!

Thanks,

Eraye

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Looks like it evolved from a university graduate program.

http://www.cat5music.com/profile.html

Like poetry, music is traditionally self-published. Also like poetry, the music industry is notoriously predatory on hopefuls lookin’ for fame. Make sure you get what you pay for.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Thanks.

I gave my friends a "be careful" speech and listed off the red flags. They decided to pass on whatever it is the company does. If/when they're discovered, it'll be by someone who wants to promote them and tells them how, not someone delivering vague ideas and an incomplete website.

Empirical Storm Trooper MadScientistMatt's Avatar
    Yog's Law does not apply the same way to the music industry as it does to book and magazine publishing. Many major labels, while they pay advances, then take so many fees out of the advances that they are essentially pay-to-publish contracts. In fact, seeing CD's from a label in music stores is no sign that they don't screw over their musicians with their contracts.

The music industry is very different from the book industry. A lot of musicians earn most of their money from live performances. This isn't just true for barroom bands, as many nationally known acts do this too. Not only that, but you can sell a lot more CD's at live performances than your average self-published author can sell from the trunk of his car. CD's can be as much a tool for exposure to promote your concerts as a way to make money.

ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Updating link, again: http://www.cat5music.com/wp/
    ICAO
    ---------