• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Dystel, Goderich & Bourret, LLC (formerly Dystel & Goderich Lit. Mgmt.)

tresshort

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Carrie.
If they don't filter out everything not containing Query in the title, they're doomed.

Maui Author

Halfway between here and there
Registered
Reaction score
They also say at that link that if you haven't received a response in 6-8 weeks that it's probably because they didn't get it

I sent a query to Miriam over 8 weeks ago and haven't heard anything. But I also think Jim McCarthy would be better for my piece of work.

They say they don't like it when you query more than one of their agents - but since I can assume they never got it in the first place, can I send a query to Jim now?

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
Just got a partial request from Jim McCarthy! Sent an e-query on 05/16 and received the request on 05/19. Fast response! Crossing my fingers on this one.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Just got a full request from Michael Bourret... A whopping 3 minutes after I hit the send button. lol.

marie2

slowly but surely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolemariemessina.tumblr.com
I am a bit confused. I got into their website and also AQ. I want to query Michael Bourret. It says that they only accept snail mail queries but by reading this thread, I’ve noticed that many of you have sent e-queries. Should I do the same or just play safe with the snail query?

P.S. I am addicted to this forum :)

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
I don't know about the other agents, but I do know both Jim McCarthy and Michael Bourret accept email queries.

Maui Author

Halfway between here and there
Registered
Reaction score
I am a bit confused. I got into their website and also AQ. I want to query Michael Bourret. It says that they only accept snail mail queries but by reading this thread, I’ve noticed that many of you have sent e-queries. Should I do the same or just play safe with the snail query?

They take e-queries. From their website: E-mail queries are fine, but keep them brief and make sure your cover letter is in the body of the e-mail. We won't open attachments if they come with a blank e-mail. Please be sure to query only one agent at this agency. We will not review queries sent to more than one of us.

malone

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Michael. Sent the query at 3am, and when I woke up the next afternoon, I had an email from Jim letting me know that Michael had sent my query to him. Jim asked for the full manuscript, which I sent him this afternoon. After reading this thread, I really, really hope he likes my work (although what I write seems dramatically different from the general paranormal romances you guys have mentioned), as he sounds like a great agent. Crossing my fingers.

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
Did you email it? Did you receive any confirmation he received it? Inquiring minds want to know.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I know that Jim had to fish my query out of his spam filter about a month after I sent it. He asked for a full and got back to me within 9 days. It was a pass, but he had some really awesome things to say and I would highly recommend him.

walker206

Registered
Reaction score
Jim seems to be reading a lot of fulls lately.

He also pulled my query out of his spam folder and requested a full. Sent me the standard "You're a gifted storyteller, but..." form rejection a few days later. Whatever.

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
I asked Michael how long it would take him to review my MS. He said a month.
*goes into a corner to cry*
I HATE waiting.

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I just sent an email query to Jim along with my synopsis and first chapter. It'll be interesting to see if he wants more. So far, I've sent a partial and 2 fulls to other agents. One agent who read the full declined, but she said she was sure another agent might bite.

My story is a YA Paranormal, and there is not a lot of agents looking for this kind of story. However, my YA is told from a boy's point of view.

So, I wait ---

ILSinTexas

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
My story is a YA Paranormal, and there is not a lot of agents looking for this kind of story. However, my YA is told from a boy's point of view.

Uhhh, everything I've read indicates that YA urban fantasy and paranormal is red hot right now, not to mention that agents and editors are looking for more boy-centric YA. So don't think I'd agree that there aren't a lot of agents looking for that kind of story!

That said, Jim was great to deal with when he requested my full. He ultimately passed, but invited me to re-submit and was very professional. He would definitely be a great agent to snag!

Inkspill

Registered
Reaction score
Michael Bourret has had my partial for a week over two months now. Does anyone know how he feels about nudging?
Thanks!

--Inkspill

ETA: It's been two months and one week since he confirmed that he received the email I sent him.

FionnJameson

Fionn: 0/Year: 24
Registered
Reaction score
Sent an e-query to Lauren Abramo and recieved a pass 4 hours later.

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
Inkspill, I'd status query if I were you. Michael requested a full from me and said he'd get back to me in a month (though he hasn't, big surprise, lol. Agents are so bad at keeping deadlines. :p)

Viking

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.levraphael.com
He responded in less than 48 hours to my email query, asking for the full, to be informed who might offer, and giving me his schedule so I'd know when to expect to hear from him. Very responsible.