• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Dystel, Goderich & Bourret, LLC (formerly Dystel & Goderich Lit. Mgmt.)

DennyCrane

Dude. Seriously.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkrock.com
Signed with Mr. Rudolph . A week out of the gate and he has in-depth and insightful edits in my hands with email notices of the submission list he's building. One of his common phrases: "Don't want to lose any time." To say he is aggressive and on top of his game is an understatement.

Highly recommended.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I was waiting until I knew exactly what was going on to come back and give my stats. I sent my revisions mid-December, and then last week heard back from Jim McCarthy with an offer of representation. After the typical waiting to hear back on fulls and thinking on which agent was best, etc. I've accepted the offer.

It was about two months to hear back on my revision, which I just wanted to say is not usual for him. He said on his blog that he'd decided to go through and reread a few, and I think I was one of those. He got back the first time around after about eleven days, which is closer to his average.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Congrats, Kaitie! That's awesome!

Edited to Add: Oh! Denny! congrats to you too!

Last edited:

miamyselfandi

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I was waiting until I knew exactly what was going on to come back and give my stats. I sent my revisions mid-December, and then last week heard back from Jim McCarthy with an offer of representation. After the typical waiting to hear back on fulls and thinking on which agent was best, etc. I've accepted the offer.

It was about two months to hear back on my revision, which I just wanted to say is not usual for him. He said on his blog that he'd decided to go through and reread a few, and I think I was one of those. He got back the first time around after about eleven days, which is closer to his average.

Kaitie, that is the most awesome news! From everything I've seen, you are now part of a fabulous team with a truly fabulous agent. May you have great success together!

Does Jim have a blog other than his posts on the agency blog? I'm now rereading his recent entries, examining them like tea leaves, LOL!

Oh, I missed DennyCrane. Congrats to you, as well! This is a great week for this thread!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Kaitie, that is the most awesome news! From everything I've seen, you are now part of a fabulous team with a truly fabulous agent. May you have great success together!

Does Jim have a blog other than his posts on the agency blog? I'm now rereading his recent entries, examining them like tea leaves, LOL!

Oh, I missed DennyCrane. Congrats to you, as well! This is a great week for this thread!

Well, agency blog, but it was his post. It was the same day I spoke to him, so I was like, "oooh, that explains it." Funny thing is because it had been so long, I was 100% sure it was going to be a rejection. ;)

miamyselfandi

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
Well, agency blog, but it was his post. It was the same day I spoke to him, so I was like, "oooh, that explains it." Funny thing is because it had been so long, I was 100% sure it was going to be a rejection. ;)

I feel dense. When I read that the first two times, I interpreted it as he took a break and read some (published) novels to clear his mind, and then went back to it. Reading comprehension certainly isn't my strong suit!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
Denny how wonderful! and already some updates from him!
How long was the wait when you initially queried him?

I never got a auto reply and wondering if I should have...?

Last edited:

DennyCrane

Dude. Seriously.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkrock.com
No problem, herenow: I think I queried him at the end of September and he got back to me about two weeks later with a request for a full (which I sent immediately) and then another two weeks with a reply. It was an offer to let me revise and resubmit. He gave a few suggestions, not more than two paragraphs, on what he thought needed improving.

I took about two months to do the revisions and then sent in the MS at the beginning of December. He got back exactly two months later with an offer!

As for the autoreply, I think that is something he used in the very beginning while he was easing into the agent pool. Don't know for certain, though.

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
:) Thank you. I think you got a great agent!

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
Signed with Mr. Rudolph . A week out of the gate and he has in-depth and insightful edits in my hands with email notices of the submission list he's building. One of his common phrases: "Don't want to lose any time." To say he is aggressive and on top of his game is an understatement.

Highly recommended.

Congrats!

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
A little late to the party, but wanted to add my CONGRATS to kaitie and Denny!! :).

K.L Hallam

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karenleehallamwrites.blogspot.com
Hello--I am trying to find more information on John Rudolph @ Dystel Agency. I queried him on 1/25/11. He does mention in a blog post it may tale 6-8 weeks until he responds. I didn't get any email confirmation when sending and today is exactly 8 weeks.... So i guess i better send again.??