• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Dystel, Goderich & Bourret, LLC (formerly Dystel & Goderich Lit. Mgmt.)

SeymourPats

Registered
Reaction score
Would appreciate any insight on this situation.

A year ago Iwas referred to a top YA agent who after a few months said she would rep my book if I did some rewriting. After getting notes, I would rewrite within 2 weeks and then wait 3 to 4 months for a response but she was "the best" so I kept going until after almost a year she was happy and sent it on submission. She sent me the rejections, nine in all over the course of many months.. A few didn't like it, a few raved about the writing but it wasn't what they were looking for, a few more loved it but had a similar subject in the past that stiffed or it was too close to something coming out. My agent told me to keep the faith.

So, I decided to send her the first 100 pages of the new book I was working on. She told me that it didn't grab her and that I needed an agent who could give me more time than she could right now and to call her in a month to see if she had anyone she could refer me to.

My question is: Is my first book now tainted, having been repped by her and rejected. I was thinking of querying Michael Bourret on the first book because I read he was interested in a ya novel with humor but when do I tell him that my book has been repped and rejected?

Ouch! I'm so sorry! That is a real nightmare. I'm honestly not sure what you should do. Maybe continue your work on the new manuscript and query that one? Maybe look at the publisher rejections you received and revise your existing manuscript?

I've heard it's a tougher sell once an agent has marketed a book and failed. I'd guess that she tried the really big presses already (which probably means that a different agent will be less interested because the big money places are off the table). But you can submit to a lot of smaller presses on your own.

Sorry to not have something more cheerful.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
You need to get from your previous agent a list of all the editors it was subbed to. Any agent considering taking the book on will need this

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
You need to get from your previous agent a list of all the editors it was subbed to. Any agent considering taking the book on will need this

Good luck with that. Too many agents are reluctant to release editor information once the opportunity for the "quick sale" has passed. I know of several AW writers who experienced this, unfortunately.

lisa17

Registered
Reaction score

Thanks. I already have that. Also the rejections except for 2 cases paise the writing.

MDavis

The Brunette She-Ra
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just got a full request from Jim McCarthy. Yay, celebrating :e2bouncey

It's for a YA fantasy, so I'll let you all know how that goes. Judging by what everyone else has said here, he'll either respond quickly, or there will have been a problem with the email and I may have to SQ in a few months.

Who else is still waiting to hear back?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I already have that. Also the rejections except for 2 cases paise the writing.

You might want to drop over to the Ask the Agent thread where Michael Carr of the Veritas Agency hangs out and run it by him

Sleigh88

;)
Registered
Reaction score
I have a super-silly question about querying Jim McCarthy, but I can't seem to find a definite answer anywhere--should I included a synopsis with my query? The website says to include a cover letter (which I assume is the query), an outline or synopsis, and sample pages, but I haven't seen anyone who's actually queried him mention the synopsis.

I know some other agencies specify synopses, as well, but some individual agents at those agencies say that they DON'T want to see a synopsis, so I just thought I'd double check.

Yeah, totally dumb question. But, like I say, if anyone has some insight, that would be great! :)

Anyway, good luck to everyone!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
His Agent Query page also says to include a sample chapter and a synopsis, so I'd put it in. If he doesn't want to read it, he won't, easy as that. And you won't get counted off for following guidelines. Good luck.

SeymourPats

Registered
Reaction score
Sleigh and Kaitie: The chapter and synopsis are for snail mail queries. For an equery, his website says to send just the query letter.

I sent an equery and received a full request.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Sleigh and Kaitie: The chapter and synopsis are for snail mail queries. For an equery, his website says to send just the query letter.

Same here--he's a fast reader (responder) too!

miamyselfandi

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score

How did I miss that? I hope people don't get counted off for sending the whole package.

C.T. Richmond

Sloths are awesome
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carolinetrichmond.com
Sleigh,

I have a super-silly question about querying Jim McCarthy, but I can't seem to find a definite answer anywhere--should I included a synopsis with my query?

Jim is my agent so I thought I'd chime in. :) When I queried him, I emailed my query and five sample pages (pasted below the query). Best of luck!

Sleigh88

;)
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! :)

I couldn't decipher whether or not the synopsis was only for snail mail or not; you are all clearly smart and awesome. Yay!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
How did I miss that? I hope people don't get counted off for sending the whole package.

You know, I just checked what I actually sent instead of just looking up the guidelines, and what I sent was a query and five pages, so I guess that's why.

In any case, I doubt you'll get counted off for that. Like I said, if it's in their guidelines somewhere, I think they'll understand. Besides, he seems like a very nice and understanding guy. To me it seems obvious that you're trying to follow the guidelines.

Sorry for the mistake.

MDavis

The Brunette She-Ra
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well drat. Jim sent a very nice rejection today on my full. Oh well :) Query on!

Has anybody else had better luck?

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the R MDavis. :(

I sent Jim McCarthy a query and 5 sample pages on 1/2/11.
Received a request for a full today. *fingers crossed*

SeymourPats

Registered
Reaction score
Well drat. Jim sent a very nice rejection today on my full. Oh well :) Query on!

Has anybody else had better luck?

Not here! Sorry to hear about your rejection, I got one today too. Very nicely worded, but a form rejection none-the-less.

"Dear Me:

Thanks much for sending TITLE, which I read with great interest. Unfortunately, I’m going to be passing at this time.

Fiction, as I’m sure you know, is just about the toughest thing to sell in the current marketplace. I need to really fall in love with something before I can even think of taking it on. Though there is much to appreciate here, I’m afraid that I ultimately didn’t believe I would be its best advocate.

Thank you again, sincerely, for the chance to take a look. I wish you all the best of luck placing this successfully."

lisa17

Registered
Reaction score
Bourret and Email queries

Michael Bourret says he just accepts Email queries. Does one just put "Query" in subject line or more detail?

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Michael Bourret says he just accepts Email queries. Does one just put "Query" in subject line or more detail?

Lisa, when I send a query, I usually just put "query: TITLE" in the subject line unless an agent specifies something else.

Good luck!

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Joining the Jim McCarthy full request club. :D EQ'd him 01/24, got a full request this morning, 01/28. Giving the ol' MS a once-over before sending.

Jim is one of my dream agents, so I'm pumped. Even if he ultimately rejects, I'm feeling confident I'm hitting the right notes now. Woot.