• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Dystel, Goderich & Bourret, LLC (formerly Dystel & Goderich Lit. Mgmt.)

AuntB

Registered
Reaction score
A suggestion if you are torn between Jim and Michael. Jim seems to respond very quickly (whereas it's been a month since I queried Michael with no response)

Thank you! I took your advice and queried Jim on Monday night, and got a full request the next day!

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
I know I shouldn't be impatient but....anyone know how long it usually takes Jim to read a full?

Okay I'm going now :p

AuntB

Registered
Reaction score
I know I shouldn't be impatient but....anyone know how long it usually takes Jim to read a full?

Okay I'm going now :p

Got a somewhat personalized r on my full today.... So for me.... A day and a half?

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Huh? I uh...got a request for the full on Monday Feb 1st and no response. I didn't know he was that fast.

Should...I be worried or should I just be patient? I know three months is the norm, but I'm actually a little scared he didn't get it.

You see, I didn't actually reply his email for the full request. I wrote a new email and put: requested material in the subject line. I included the original query in the subject body of course, and wrote a little note thanking him for his request, but should I have replied his email itself?

...help?

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Found an interview of Jim McCarthy of my RWA magazine the RWR. For everyone's information, Jim's response time on queries, partials, and fulls is 2-4 weeks, with a faster response time when communicating by e-mail.

Hope this is helpful!

Oh okay I just read this upthread.

So I guess I'll follow up sometime in March.

*sigh* the wait is the hardest part :(

aestaeben

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm a new member. I was wondering if I could get some advice from people who have e-queried Jim McCarthy before.

The submission requirements on D&G's website say that snail mail should have the query letter, a synopsis, and a chapter, but the instructions for email queries are very vague. It looks as though some people on this thread have submitted a synopsis and a sample chapter with their e-query, but on agentquery.com it says to only submit the query letter itself via email. http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=80

Do you know what I should include in my e-query and what should be in an attachment vs. the body of the email?

Thank you so much to anyone who answers!

Last edited:

Brenda Hill

Diva in Training
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendahill.com
After reading their guidelines several times, I snail-queried Ms. Dystel 2/12 and so far, haven't heard. Then I read this thread about fast email responses and wish I'd emailed them. Darn.

Mardi

Midwestern Mindset
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mardilink.com
I just signed with Jane Dystel yesterday and am about bustin' with shock, awe, and more than a little glee. The process involved an email query, a request an hour later from her for a proposal and a sample, then three days later an email back from her with an invitation to phone her and discuss representation. We talked for about a half hour - I was doing research so was in my car, parked, on my cell -- and she was bright, energetic, encouraging and patient. I accepted the next day and have great hopes for working with her.

thmafi

wobbly...
Registered
Reaction score
congrats Mardi, that's fantastic news!!!! :D

Mardi

Midwestern Mindset
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mardilink.com
I thought it was fast, too. I'm horrible at waiting, so it was a blessing. Now the real work begins: crafting the proposal from the excerpt she liked. Love to research and write books; proposal writing? Not so much.

Mardi

Midwestern Mindset
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mardilink.com
I have two wip that are both non-fiction. A true crime book for which I sent her a finished proposal, and a memoir excerpt which won a literary contest but for which I didn't have a proposal. She expressed interest in both, and now I'm going to have to write a proposal for the memoir, which I have never done before. Any thoughts? Or perhaps that question is not for this thread? Memoir proposals seem to be a hybrid animal.