• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Dystel, Goderich & Bourret, LLC (formerly Dystel & Goderich Lit. Mgmt.)

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
rosepddle, good luck querying Michael Bourret. FYI I queried him over 6 weeks ago and have had no response.

I have a similar experience with Michael: 4 weeks, no reply. I wonder if he always takes longer to respond?

sunnywave

Registered
Reaction score
just curious...a while back it seemed like lots of people had fulls out to michael bourret--anyone ever hear back? I did a polite f/u and he says he's still considering it--so am stoked, but am curious about time frame from request to either accept or rejection. he's had it for a long time...like many months... still it's not a no, so i can be happy, right? :)

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
Since he has not yet responded to me, I wouldn't know about fulls, but I would certainly agree that it is not yet a "no" sunnywave, so let's keep hoping! :)

I suppose since he's got so many fulls to read, he has less time to consider new queries.

Geosteph

Registered
Reaction score
Alexandra Brown?

Does anyone here have any information or experience with Alexandra Brown at Dystel & Goderich Literary Management? I was looking at their website and saw that she is looking for scifi/fantasy, but could not find any other information on her anywhere.

Just curious if anyone had queried her or worked with her. Thanks so much.

Steph

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, has anyone heard anything from Jim? Call it jitters, but I haven't heard anything from him in about five weeks, and I'm wondering if anyone else has, or if he dropped off the face of the planet.

Leanan-Sidhe

leaving trails of fairy dust
Registered
Reaction score
Poppy, he responded to my query two days ago, if that's any help.

Last edited:

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
That's a big help. Thank you. I think it's about time that I emailed him asking if he got my manuscript. Something tells me it wound up in his junk folder by accident.

Leanan-Sidhe

Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck, Poppy. I've got a full with him too, so fingers crossed for everyone.

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
I just queried with a resubmission myself so I'll let you know if I hear anything.

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. :) I'm going to email him tomorrow on the whereabouts of my manuscript. I'll keep you guys posted as well.

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Poppy, you should hear back right away. I got a reply this morning and have already sent my full out again. Good luck!

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I just sent out my inquiry, so let's hope that he got my manuscript, otherwise the last six weeks of anxiety have been for naught. :Shrug:

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
...And apparently they have. :cry:I just sent out my full again this morning. Damn junk folders. Damn them to hell.

Leanan-Sidhe

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Poppy, that's awful. :Hug2: But he's got it now, which is the important thing. Here's hoping he loves it!

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, now we're both waiting to hear back. Keep me updated!

Leanan-Sidhe

Registered
Reaction score
*hugs Poppy*
Not much I can say, but treat yourself to some chocolate and send out more queries.

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Poppy. I can't believe you heard back so fast! Did you get any feedback at all to help you revise?

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
No! And I think that's what bothers me the most. I don't feel like my book got any attention at all. It felt like he sent me a form letter, which was horribly disappointing. Nothing to work off of, just "Not his thing." I think that was the most disheartening part of it all.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
No! And I think that's what bothers me the most. I don't feel like my book got any attention at all. It felt like he sent me a form letter, which was horribly disappointing. Nothing to work off of, just "Not his thing." I think that was the most disheartening part of it all.
Sorry about R, but I'm sure he did read it or most of it, and it got attention despite the turnaround. JM reads fulls fast. He's read/rejected 3 of mine, on average 4-5 days. But one of those did not have the form R, and basically indicated he wavered for a couple days before making up his mind, then explained why he said no. So yeah, he apparently does give them attention; he's just really that fast. It still sucks though.

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
My last R&R from him took 2 1/2 weeks. So I'm not checking my e-mail all the time anymore.

I agree with Ink that I'm sure he read it, but likely decided he couldn't be excited about it. And I think that's important to keep in mind. We need advocates, people who really LOVE our story. So keep searching until you find an agent that falls in love...

Leanan-Sidhe

Registered
Reaction score
JJ, I'm glad you mentioned he can take up to 2 1/2 weeks. He's had mine for a week now, and with all the talk of super-fast response times, I was starting to wonder if the spam filters had claimed another victim.

It's silly, b/c we all know a week is nothing in this game. I keep telling myself to stay patient. If it weren't for AW, I'd probably be going crazy ;).

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
JJ, I'm glad you mentioned he can take up to 2 1/2 weeks. He's had mine for a week now, and with all the talk of super-fast response times, I was starting to wonder if the spam filters had claimed another victim.

It's silly, b/c we all know a week is nothing in this game. I keep telling myself to stay patient. If it weren't for AW, I'd probably be going crazy ;).

Leanan: Jim was actually very thorough in his reading and I received a lengthy e-mail about what he liked and didn't like. So hopefully the longer times is a good note because that means he's taking time to enjoy your story!
Since it doesn't sound like he's busy with conferences/fairs/etc., you'll likely hear from him soon.
Keep us updated!

BrigidMary23

Paranormal YA Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brigidkemmerer.blogspot.com
Has anyone heard anything from Lauren Abramo? She had a full of mine a year ago, and I remember her being relatively quick. I queried her about a month ago with my current project, and I haven't heard anything.