AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 35 12345671126 ... LastLast

Thread: [Agency] Dystel, Goderich & Bourret, LLC (formerly Dystel & Goderich Lit. Mgmt.)

mirror it on every tear SindbadtheSailor's Avatar

Question [Agency] Dystel, Goderich & Bourret, LLC (formerly Dystel & Goderich Lit. Mgmt.)

Hi all!

I am new to the forum. This is my first post. Having been cheated once by an agency, I would like to tread the future cautiously. I have just got to know about the Jane Dystel Literary Management. They seem alright. But I want to be sure about it. Please tell me if this agency is trustworthy. Unlike before, I've become wary of all agencies.

Sindbad.

practical experience, FTW J. Y. Moore's Avatar
    For what it's worth, I received a boiler-plate reject from one of the other agents in the firm.
    J. Y. (Jean) Moore
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Gone
    Sinbad, if you go to the Index (sticky'd to the top of the page), you'll find a bunch of threads on the safest and best ways to conduct an agent search, as well as links to Writer Beware and Preditors and Editors and other useful sites.

I write stuff and break boards. dragonjax's Avatar
    Very legit. One of Jane's clients lavishes huge praise upon her, and how she negotiated a terrific deal for him.

And it's Dystel & Goderich, by the way...
    Last edited by dragonjax; 09-16-2005 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something
    "Undying Love," a short story by Jackie Kessler in FANTASY FOR GOOD - a charity anthology to help fight colon cancer

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    I'm not even gonna try to pronounce that...

http://www.dystel.com/
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin PurpleLady's Avatar

Dystel & Goderich

Michael Bourett will be at the Maryland Writers Assoc. writers conference (May 6 - Baltimore). I signed up for a 15 minute interview with him. Will post a summary of my impressions after the conference.
    The sky's the limit.

Dave Diamantes
    A top notch agency.

Absolutely Fazed
    Quote Originally Posted by the1dsquared
    A top notch agency.
    With a quick turnaround, at least for me. They sent me a rejection only a day after I queried (form, but at least they didn't drag their feet).

I write stuff and break boards. dragonjax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleLady
    Michael Bourett will be at the Maryland Writers Assoc. writers conference (May 6 - Baltimore). I signed up for a 15 minute interview with him. Will post a summary of my impressions after the conference.
    My crit partner is one of Michael's clients, and she ADORES him. He scored her a very nice two-book sale, pretty quickly as these things go.
    "Undying Love," a short story by Jackie Kessler in FANTASY FOR GOOD - a charity anthology to help fight colon cancer

Got the hang of it, here Absolute Sage jchines's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux
    Their site includes a client list, and that client list includes many, many books sold to major publishers.

Ie, they're legit.
    "A good library is both church and armory..."
    -from LIBRIOMANCER

Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by jchines
    Their site includes a client list, and that client list includes many, many books sold to major publishers.

Ie, they're legit.
    Remember, though, friends: check those credits and clients on agents' lists. Trust, but verify.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

practical experience, FTW Provrb1810meggy's Avatar
    A question about Michael Bourret, is it common for him to request the full manuscript after initial contact, not a sample? In his response to my email, he said, "Please send your novel." I thought this seemed weird.

Oh well, I'm still excited, since according to everyone, it's a legitimate agency.

figuring it all out
    My agent requested a full without first asking for a partial. I think it means the agent really liked the query. RC
    Last edited by rchastain; 07-26-2006 at 06:32 PM.

carlywrites
    Michael Bourret read my novel but passed. The experience was good - he even let me call him and talk about what wasn't working. You can't go wrong with this agency.

Proverb, it isn't unusual if the agent really liked your query, especially if you write in a shorter genre (early reader, YA, category romance.)

I think you write YA (or my memory could just be swiss cheese.)

Good luck. This is a very good agency.
    <clickety to see my books

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think Iím disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

Well, I was boneheaded and didn't put a SASE in, so I wonder if that means he won't reply...hmm.... It was my pre-rewrite manuscript anyway, so I don't think it was as good as my rewrite, so I guess I know it would be a rejection....
    Come check out my blog: http://meganetcetera.blogspot.com

I'm happy to report that I had them on my list to query but didn't! (Happy because I still have some top-notch agents left to query). Will definitely query them when the time comes.

One Hit Wonder? Kasey Mackenzie's Avatar
    Jim McCarthy at Dystel & Goderich liked my query and first chapter enough to request the full right away. He reviewed the full pretty quickly (within a couple of weeks) and really liked the premise and certain aspects of the manuscript, but ultimately passed. He had some great constructive comments, however, and invited me to re-submit when I revised or if I had another project. I've heard good things about his ability to sell in my genre so I'm excited about that.

As far as what I'm writing, I would consider them among the top-notch agencies. Maybe not one of the hugest, but very good nonetheless.
    Good things come to those who wait...and work their tails off!!!

Coming Soon on Kindle: Reborn in Fire

Well, I followed up with Michael and he says he didn't get my full. He was very apologetic and told me to just send it through email, and I got to send him the much better, rewritten, version. Wish me luck!

Working In A Coal Mine... Sonarbabe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Provrb1810meggy
    Well, I followed up with Michael and he says he didn't get my full. He was very apologetic and told me to just send it through email, and I got to send him the much better, rewritten, version. Wish me luck!
    What a wonderful stroke of luck!!! I wish you the best and all fingers that I don't have crossed for my own partials that I have out are crossed for you.
    The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it. ~ Leo Rosten

2009 Acceptance Pledge 0/2
    2009 Rejection Pledge 0/10

Current WIP 46,492/65,000

Oooh! I have a website.

Thank you! I'm crossing my fingers too and I'll cross my fingers for you.

Sharman
    I queried Lauren Abramo (junior agent) there via email & got a reject back the same day. Not what I wanted to hear but at least a response.

Trident Media Group vs. Dystel & Goderich: Round One!

Jim McCarthy just requested my full, a paranormal romance that is also under consideration at Trident. I snail mailed him a query per the agency's Web site last Saturday and he emailed requesting the full on Wednesday. Must have read the query the day he received it. Wow!

I'll update more when I have news.

Soldier, Storyteller Linda Adams's Avatar
    I believe the agency also has a blog (go to the Ask the Agent section--think it's listed there). You can read the blog to learn more about them.
    Soldier, Storyteller | AW Library: Short Fiction

"The Sea Listens" in Enchanted Spark

Author Waiting in the Wings Maprilynne's Avatar
    And the blog is quite interesting.

Maprilynne
    Wings: the first of four from Harper Teen debuting May 5th, 2009.

You can Pre-Order my book from Amazon!
    (Come on, you know you want to.)

Page 1 of 35 12345671126 ... LastLast