Boy gets in school suspension for long hair

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
It's a video story.

12-year old boy gets in school detention until he cuts his hair. He hasn't cut his hair for about 2 years.

I think the school is going a little overboard. But the video didn't say if it was a private school or a public school. The code of conduct does say that boys cannot have hair below their collar. His hair is about shoulder length.

Your thoughts?

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My guess is it's a private school. If it is they can enforce whatever dresscode they want, even if it's a stupid one.

I went through the public system the only think I can remember was no short skirts, low cut tops, shirts or anything advertising alcohol, or anything deemed offensive like a shift with Fuck You, written on it.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am not sure it is the schools job to enforce conservative gender norms. Dress codes to exclude near nudity or gang colors are fine, but this is silly. Of course if it is a private school perhaps enforcing conservative gender norms is part of the package.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Huh? When I was in public school in the 90s and early 00s, long hair on males was universally disallowed. As were tattoos, piercings, certain types of clothing, shorts, unnatural hair dyes, certain hair styles, facial hair, and just about whatever else you care to think of that a Baby Boomer social conservative might brand "edgy" or "liberal" or "counterculture".

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, memories.

First protest movement, first time I got kicked out of school, first time I met someone from the ACLU, first time I got to know a real lawyer, first time I met the school board, last time I saw a school board cower from the threat of an ACLU lawsuit, the end of the dress code. The foundation of my belief that you can change the world if you try.

Those were the good old days. :)

Icedevimon

Queen of Darkness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.palaceofroleplay.sp-website.net
This is just sad. I really wish him the best of luck. It isn't even that long yet <.< If it is private school, maybe he could go to public school. If it's public school, I can't really see the policy holding up in court...

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
School rule needs to be changed. Until it is, children and their parents should follow the rules.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Looks like the mother is setting him up for a life of misery.

Cut the darned hair - it'll grow back during the summer and he'll survive.

Considering he was *already* suspended at the end of last year's school session it seems the mother is bound and determined to make a mountain out of a molehill for her own personal reasons.

Violating his rights? Really? This is the mountain you want to fight a civil rights suit on? Get on the school board, mom, and change the policy. Sending your kid to school and having him suspended on the first day is *so* going to help his education.

What a joke.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa, I was able to hit page up and down and DL and SP's posts changed, but their avatars stayed in the exact same position. That was trippy.

Oh. Right. My friend, Jay, had to deal with this shit growing up too.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like the mother is setting him up for a life of misery.

Cut the darned hair - it'll grow back during the summer and he'll survive.

Considering he was *already* suspended at the end of last year's school session it seems the mother is bound and determined to make a mountain out of a molehill for her own personal reasons.

Violating his rights? Really? This is the mountain you want to fight a civil rights suit on? Get on the school board, mom, and change the policy. Sending your kid to school and having him suspended on the first day is *so* going to help his education.

What a joke.
Really? I kind of admire that she's letting him stand up against a blatantly sexist rule. If the school said my middle school daughter had to wear dresses, there is no way I'd make her. For crying out loud, it's a public school. What business to they have enforcing a sexist hair code?

Where is the harm in long hair?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
meh. i got kicked out of 2 schools back in the 80s. because of hair/dress. there was no media ripple.

the kid should NOT cut his hair to get back into school...that would be atrocious. he should find another school or fight for the right to keep his hair. it's so ludicrous. sexist hair codes are so infuckingfuriating.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Really? I kind of admire that she's letting him stand up against a blatantly sexist rule. If the school said my middle school daughter had to wear dresses, there is no way I'd make her. For crying out loud, it's a public school. What business to they have enforcing a sexist hair code?

Where is the harm in long hair?
I'll quote a statement by a wise man that I saw in another thread. ;)
Devil Ledbetter said:
They make these demands for the exact same reason I make my dog lie on the floor and wait until I say "yes" before he can approach his food dish - they're reinforcing who's in charge.

Fullback

Banned
Reaction score
I was the first person in my high school to be kicked out for having long hair in 1968. I lost that battle and am surprised that the battle has to be waged anymore.

Now, I'm losing the battle against losing my hair.