Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I thought about choosing Coffee and my Laptop as luxuries, but they are pretty much necessities to my writing.

Luxuries would be the internet, chocolate, fun notebooks and pens, post-its, a personal massage therapist....

Mistress Elysia

Overwriters Anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep (believe me, with a toddler in the house, sleep is definitely a luxury!). Assam tea (not that cheap muck). Good olives (stones in, preferably) marinated in garlic, chilli and a decent oil. Bristol Board paper (so smooth...). A good selection of biros - blue for preference, and a nice spiral bound pad to complement them. Jaffa Cakes.

With all of these things, life is indeed sweet... :)

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Coffee.

I have a secret blend of Kenyan that I get made for me at a shop in town. And I just ordered a brand new fancy ass coffee machine for the library/study so I won't even have to go downstairs to make one.

Everything else I can cope without. But I need my coffee.

JemmaP

Registered
Reaction score
My main luxury is a 10-15 minute powernap-slash-stare at the ceiling and think about my story time before I get up, make a cup of tea or coffee, and start writing. My job sort of turns my brain into pudding and if I don't take a little time to get myself into 'writer mode' I sit and struggle and fail to produce. It's amazing what a little rest and meditation does, though.

The hot beverage is awfully nice too. Don't know why it helps so much, but it does.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
A wireless mouse makes all the difference to me.

S.J.

Addict? I can quit whenever I want!
Registered
Reaction score
Come to think of it, the question is an oxymoron. By definition luxuries can't be necessary.

(Although I'm missing the point here, or at least some humour.)

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
electricity
computer
coffee
music
not being nagged

and probably the biggest one:
freedom from strife! a bunch of bad crap happened all at once back in late Feb (fired, spouse diagnosed w cancer, BF's BF's suicide, other BF's mother's death from cancer), and I am still trying to get myself back on track with writing regularly!

Freedom from strife shouldn't have to be a luxury, but unfortunatly, it so often is. I tend to use music as a substitute.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Privacy. A working computer. That's it.

Maryn, who has no excuses

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Internet and peace of mind. I have plenty of one, and need lots more of the other. Since I'm posting here instead of writing, I bet you can guess which is which. :D

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Peace of mind. I can't work if I feel frustrated, agitated, and overly stressed about a million other things.

I think this is a good answer. It's a lot easier for me to write when I'm not worried or stressing over something.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... viewing the work and perspectives of those with similar ideals is helpful and inspiring. Another luxury would be an expensive pen like a Parker or Cross. One day I plan to trade in my transparent Bic and purchase one!

Ren

I'm not clever enough for this...
Registered
Reaction score
... viewing the work and perspectives of those with similar ideals is helpful and inspiring. Another luxury would be an expensive pen like a Parker or Cross. One day I plan to trade in my transparent Bic and purchase one!

I agree with this one actually. But I'd lose the expensive pen somehow and have to go back to Bics, so I should just save the money. ^^

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Um.... huh?
I take at least one bath a day. Two, if I can! I know it's excessive. and I don't care.

Sex.

Ooops, sorry. I wasn't in the bordello.
you can have sex other places too, yanno.... ;)

I know me too. It's like a magical sensory deprivation tank that makes me feel relaxed and creative.
*high fives friendlyhobo*
I would never high five a hobo, btw, but you're just so friendly :)
Two cats. I always keep a spare, just in case.
:roll:
.....Mont Blanc *drools*

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and a full-size keyboard. I've tried typing on netbooks before and it's just a freaking fiasco. I like a laptop big enough that I can have a huge keyboard and a ten-key as well.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Never deny yourself a luxury," that's what I always say.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Caffeine from coffee. Preferably hazelnut coffee. More preferably hazelnut coffee from Dunkin Donuts.

Music, or the internet. Preferably both, but I gotta have one. Or I'll start singing my own theme music while I'm writing, and that's usually pretty embarrassing...

Ren

I'm not clever enough for this...
Registered
Reaction score
Caffeine from coffee. Preferably hazelnut coffee. More preferably hazelnut coffee from Dunkin Donuts.

Music, or the internet. Preferably both, but I gotta have one. Or I'll start singing my own theme music while I'm writing, and that's usually pretty embarrassing...

Ahahahaha!

I do that too! I have at times sung what I was typing or writing. My husband does not appreciate it.

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
Since I work as a software engineer for my day job and telecommute, I spend a lot of my time at my desk, in front of my monitor. In order to write, as a result, I need something to get me out of that work mindset. What this is, however, can vary.

It can be as simple as writing a scene by hand in a notebook with fountain pen, instead of being on the computer as I am at work. Or it can be taking my laptop to a coffeeshop and writing there, instead of being at my desk where I work. Or if I'm at my desk, it can be something like lighting scented oil that I wouldn't light while at work, to provide that subtle cue that I'm not at work and should be in my writing mindset.

Whatever it is, I need something to mark that I'm writing now, and not in my work mindset at my work desk.

(Music also helps; I find specific types help me write specific scenes. But I listen to music while coding, too, so it's not sufficient to kick me into writing mode on its own.)

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score

My parents got me a gorgeous silver Shaeffer set when I graduated the first time, and I write everything with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.