AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.


 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Penumbra Publishing

  1. #1
    writer/teacher JL_Benet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    206

    Penumbra Publishing

    http://www.penumbrapublishing.com/ph...ubmissions.php
    Our primary goal is to give unpublished or overlooked fiction a reasonable chance at publication.

  2. #2
    volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    28,031
    "For instance, if your romance story does not end with two romantically involved main characters (a man and a woman) getting together ‘happily ever after’ or with the expectation of staying together in a committed relationship, then we will not list it as a romance when other categories such as women’s fiction or alternative lifestyle relationship stories might appear to be a better fit."

    Urk.
    Emily Veinglory

  3. #3
    So many ideas, never enough time. michael_b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colorado, or Anime Tokyo, take your pick
    Posts
    702
    Wow, did anyone read their entire first page? The part about POD and their reference to P&E is... *shakes head*

    There were other things that just left me shaking my head in disbelief, but the POD part, whoa.
    Michael Barnette
    Fiction with an Erotic Edge
    LiveJournal Twitter Facebook
    I do NaNoWriMo
    Worth More than Words available now from Dreamspinner Press
    In the Heart of Love-Coming Soon
    SOLD: Nikki's Dragon-short story anthology to Fireborn Publishing

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Look up. you see that bright star in the sky? I live there!
    Posts
    659
    I couldn't get past the look of their books. wow.

  5. #5
    In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah Komnena's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    King Louie's town
    Posts
    13,859

    Penumbra Publishing

    Has anyone here ever had any dealings with Penumbra Publishing?
    Komnena
    nano messterpiece 1707 words



  6. #6
    Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,093
    That is some truly bad typography on their book covers. They'd look 100% better if it were all changed to Helvetica or Gill Sans or Optima.

    If Penumbra was started by a frustrated writer who couldn't get published, I'll bet one of the reasons for rejection was unnecessary exposition that ran way too long.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

  7. #7
    Write faster! FASTER! G. Applejack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    417
    Bolding is mine.


    I. PROFESSIONALISM: Authors may have many doubts, fears, and questions about publishing. We hope this information is of help, and are willing to answer via email other questions not covered here. We do not, however, give out personal background information or private phone numbers and other contact information of our staff and do not consider such requests a legitimate part of investigating our business for consideration as a potential publisher.

    IF WE FEEL YOUR MANUSCRIPT IS ACCEPTABLE FOR PUBLISHING, you will receive an acceptance email with a request for a PAYPAL ACCOUNT email address for royalty payments and the last four digits of your SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER for tax reporting purposes.
    Um, is that normal? I would feel very uncomfortable signing my name/social security to any contract where the other party feels they need to keep their name/identity hidden. This is a business transaction, not a super secret club.

    And then the more cynical part of me wants to know why exactly they are not putting out their name and info. What are they hiding?
    Co-mod at Writing MM Romance, a critique group.

  8. #8
    Writer is as Writer does Terie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    4,153
    Quote Originally Posted by G.Collins View Post
    ...last four digits of your SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER for tax reporting purposes.
    Um, is that normal? I would feel very uncomfortable signing my name/social security to any contract where the other party feels they need to keep their name/identity hidden. This is a business transaction, not a super secret club.

    And then the more cynical part of me wants to know why exactly they are not putting out their name and info. What are they hiding?
    It's 100% completely normal -- and actually required by law -- for a publisher to have a contracted writer's SSN/TIN for tax reporting purposes; they're required to report monies paid to writers to the IRS. Having the last four digits of an SSN/TIN is completely useless.
    Changing Gears (available now) -- Winning the race doesn’t equal winning at life.

    The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

    Author website | Author blog

  9. #9
    Write faster! FASTER! G. Applejack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by Terie View Post
    It's 100% completely normal -- and actually required by law -- for a publisher to have a contracted writer's SSN/TIN for tax reporting purposes; they're required to report monies paid to writers to the IRS. Having the last four digits of an SSN/TIN is completely useless.
    Sorry, let me clarify. I don't find the SSN/TIN objectionable. It makes sense for tax purposes. What I find odd is that I would be expected to give out my most personal information and they won't even give out their first/last name.

    Is that normal practice? Because if it is, my discomfort with the publishing industry just shot up, like, 1000%.
    Last edited by G. Applejack; 06-30-2012 at 08:58 PM.
    Co-mod at Writing MM Romance, a critique group.

  10. #10
    Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    25,555
    That's nowhere near normal. (Outside of the clueless amateur/scummy vanity field of dreams.)

  11. #11
    Mildly Disturbing Filigree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    between rising apes and falling angels
    Posts
    15,790
    Just a quick public service announcement (because someone wrote privately to me, confused): Penumbra Publishing is *not* affiliated with the Penumbra Magazine published by Musa Publishing.

    This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

  12. #12
    Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you mscelina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fudz. Not pie. I do not share pie. EVER.
    Posts
    20,007
    Amen. Not at all or in the slightest.

    The Penumbra Publishing up THERE ^^^^


    Has nothing to do with the Penumbra down there V V V
    Last edited by mscelina; 06-30-2012 at 10:46 PM.

  13. #13
    Penumbra Publishing PenumbraPublishing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Terie View Post
    It's 100% completely normal -- and actually required by law -- for a publisher to have a contracted writer's SSN/TIN for tax reporting purposes; they're required to report monies paid to writers to the IRS. Having the last four digits of an SSN/TIN is completely useless.
    In 2010 the IRS deemed that W2s sent for tax reporting purposes could legally contain just the last four digits of the Social Security Number. For protection of PII (personally identifiable information) transmitted electronically, we use only the last four digits of the SSN. It is useful for the intended purpose - income tax reporting of royalties paid.

  14. #14
    Penumbra Publishing PenumbraPublishing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by HapiSofi View Post
    That is some truly bad typography on their book covers. They'd look 100% better if it were all changed to Helvetica or Gill Sans or Optima.

    If Penumbra was started by a frustrated writer who couldn't get published, I'll bet one of the reasons for rejection was unnecessary exposition that ran way too long.
    We would not find 'unnecessary exposition that ran way too long' if people didn't have all these darn questions...

    The level of knowledge about publishing possessed by a given author can vary greatly. Unfortunately, a be-all-tell-all resource to answer most expected questions can get tedious in a hurry. Fortunately for you and many other authors, there's no need to wade throught that exposition because apparently you already know all that.

    Thank you for the critique of our web site and services. We are always looking for ways to improve.

  15. #15
    Penumbra Publishing PenumbraPublishing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by G.Collins View Post
    Bolding is mine.


    Um, is that normal? I would feel very uncomfortable signing my name/social security to any contract where the other party feels they need to keep their name/identity hidden. This is a business transaction, not a super secret club.

    And then the more cynical part of me wants to know why exactly they are not putting out their name and info. What are they hiding?

    There is a simple reason for this. We get a lot of phishing, spamming, and other objectionable requests for personal information because we openly advertise contact information for authors who wish to contact us through the submission process. Unfortunately we also get a lot of submission contacts from people with an agenda other than getting their writing published. For instance, we've had people ask for an advance before the contract is even a consideration, simply because they are looking for money. And when we refuse to skype or talk on the phone about it, we receive threatening and psychotic responses. There are unfortunately a lot of people out there who live in a different reality, which makes ours difficult to deal with. If you look at any publisher site you will not find personal phone numbers and addresses of editors or other staff. Nobody gives out that kind of personal information ... for the same reasons listed above, to avoid needless harassment.

  16. #16
    Penumbra Publishing PenumbraPublishing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by michael_b View Post
    Wow, did anyone read their entire first page? The part about POD and their reference to P&E is... *shakes head*

    There were other things that just left me shaking my head in disbelief, but the POD part, whoa.
    It is interesting to note that Silver Publishing, (your publisher apparently), started out as a paid-services publisher. (You can shake your head some more now.) They appear to be doing very well for themselves as part of a publishing distribution consortium.

  17. #17
    A Gentleman of a refined age... thothguard51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Out side the beltway...
    Posts
    9,314
    Quote Originally Posted by PenumbraPublishing View Post
    In 2010 the IRS deemed that W2s sent for tax reporting purposes could legally contain just the last four digits of the Social Security Number. For protection of PII (personally identifiable information) transmitted electronically, we use only the last four digits of the SSN. It is useful for the intended purpose - income tax reporting of royalties paid.
    How does the last four digits identify a person when more than 1 person can have the last four digits?
    Knowledge is learned while wisdom is earned.

    Currently working on...

    From, The Tales of Netherron,
    Book 1, A Game of Pawns
    Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
    Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

    In the pipeline,
    Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
    Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

    http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

    Nick Anthony

  18. #18
    A Gentleman of a refined age... thothguard51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Out side the beltway...
    Posts
    9,314
    Quote Originally Posted by PenumbraPublishing View Post
    We would not find 'unnecessary exposition that ran way too long' if people didn't have all these darn questions...
    This is an excuse.

    The level of knowledge about publishing possessed by a given author can vary greatly. Unfortunately, a be-all-tell-all resource to answer most expected questions can get tedious in a hurry. Fortunately for you and many other authors, there's no need to wade throught that exposition because apparently you already know all that.
    This is true. The level of knowledge will vary with different authors, just as it will between different editors and publishers. You might also want to use spell checker from time to time...

    A writer who only has self publishing experience is going to have a different view of commercial publishing. The same can be said of a publisher or editor that has only worked in the self publishing or vanity industry. So what is the point?

    As a representative of your publisher, I might suggest you keep in mind your snarkiness is not winning any support. Be polite and answer any questions that come along in a professional manner, unless you do not care about PP's image...
    Knowledge is learned while wisdom is earned.

    Currently working on...

    From, The Tales of Netherron,
    Book 1, A Game of Pawns
    Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
    Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

    In the pipeline,
    Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
    Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

    http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

    Nick Anthony

  19. #19
    Write faster! FASTER! G. Applejack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by PenumbraPublishing View Post
    There is a simple reason for this. We get a lot of phishing, spamming, and other objectionable requests for personal information because we openly advertise contact information for authors who wish to contact us through the submission process. Unfortunately we also get a lot of submission contacts from people with an agenda other than getting their writing published. For instance, we've had people ask for an advance before the contract is even a consideration, simply because they are looking for money. And when we refuse to skype or talk on the phone about it, we receive threatening and psychotic responses. There are unfortunately a lot of people out there who live in a different reality, which makes ours difficult to deal with. If you look at any publisher site you will not find personal phone numbers and addresses of editors or other staff. Nobody gives out that kind of personal information ... for the same reasons listed above, to avoid needless harassment.

    The impression I gained from your site is that you don't share who you are at all, but expect your authors to give out their personal info while signing a legal and binding contract. And I've seen many publishing sites with biographies -- first and last names along with a list of professional achievements. Ways to show that they are knowledgeable within the publishing industry.

    Yes there are scammers and wackadoos all over the net, but if I were sign with you, for example, my name and short biography would be featured as an author along with my book. I would run the risk you feel you don't need to take.
    Co-mod at Writing MM Romance, a critique group.

  20. #20
    The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    dunking doughnuts at Dunkin' Donuts
    Posts
    16,126
    Quote Originally Posted by PenumbraPublishing View Post
    In 2010 the IRS deemed that W2s sent for tax reporting purposes could legally contain just the last four digits of the Social Security Number. For protection of PII (personally identifiable information) transmitted electronically, we use only the last four digits of the SSN. It is useful for the intended purpose - income tax reporting of royalties paid.
    Quote Originally Posted by thothguard51 View Post
    How does the last four digits identify a person when more than 1 person can have the last four digits?
    Actually, that's a tad misleading. I work for an agency that uses Social Security numbers on documents it sends out and masks the first five digits for security purposes. Since these documents go out in window envelopes, the masking was put in place to prevent identity theft; let's face it, how many hundreds, if not thousands, of combinations are there for the first five digits left to guess if they're masked with asterisks? Whenever we get a phone call from somebody for research, we always ask for the full Social Security number. Our records have the full number recorded because it'd be too cumbersome to create a search based on the last four digits.
    Last edited by BenPanced; 07-02-2012 at 12:39 AM.
    I still poop rainbows.

    I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.


  21. #21
    A Gentleman of a refined age... thothguard51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Out side the beltway...
    Posts
    9,314
    Same with where I work, we mask all but the last four digits and only a few in the company can pull up the full number for security reasons.

    I also know from experience, you report using only the last four digits and the IRS can reject...
    Knowledge is learned while wisdom is earned.

    Currently working on...

    From, The Tales of Netherron,
    Book 1, A Game of Pawns
    Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
    Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

    In the pipeline,
    Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
    Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

    http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

    Nick Anthony

  22. #22
    In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah Komnena's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    King Louie's town
    Posts
    13,859
    Thanks to all who posted answers to my questions.
    Komnena
    nano messterpiece 1707 words



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search