Winnie the Pooh Didn't Know What to Do. . . .

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bear saved after 10 days with jar stuck on head

A six-month-old bear dubbed 'Jarhead' has been saved after having its head stuck in a container for at least 10 days.

By Alastair Jamieson
Published: 8:00AM BST 15 Aug 2010

jarhead_1696877a.jpg
A six-month-old bear dubbed 'Jarhead' has been saved after having its head stuck in a container for at least 10 days. Photo: AP

The clear plastic container was removed from the cub's head, where it had become lodged after the animal was digging through rubbish in a neighbourhood in central Florida. . . .

.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wi...ved-after-10-days-with-jar-stuck-on-head.html

Serious situation with a happy ending. . . .

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
Is it bad that I think a Jarhead cartoon would be awesome? Like Yogi Bear meets the Archies.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Ten days is a long time to go without water.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
A friend of mine, an animal rescue person, did the same thing with a skunk. (Well, not exactly the same, Mama skunk wasn't standing by waiting to rip her arms off.)

But it was a wild skunk, and it let her catch it, pry off the plastic mayonnaise jar, and she didn't even get sprayed. Some people have a knack with animals.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Bears hibernate for long periods. Maybe that had something to do with surviving without water for that long.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, they saved him.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Ten days? How did it drink water?

He didn't. They saved his life. . . .

But ten days??

I didn't think an animal could survive for ten days without water.

Ten days is a long time to go without water.

Exactly.

Water from breath and condensation?

That's a stretch.

Bears hibernate for long periods. Maybe that had something to do with surviving without water for that long.

But it was a mere cub. The physical preparation for hibernation is quite extensive, and a bear needs to be super-duper fat before entering into that winter sleep mode. But that's for adults, and yet this was a case of a cub. While I'll concede perhaps some kind of an emergency death-avoiding safeguard kicked itself on in the cub's inner metabolic wiring allowing a quasi-hibernation function to swing into operation, eating away at the cub's own body fat to try and keeo it alive (including synthesizing water from the body fat) he must have exhausted a significant portion of that body fat during those ten days. And now I fear he won't be ready for winter.

Elwolf

Rabbit! Hunting Mode.
Registered
Reaction score
Good thing they got it off. The bear would have starved.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Central Florida? Something tells me the winter might not be too harsh.

Ah-- Central Florida adds even more fuel to my arguemnt.

1) Perhaps he is a breed of bear who doesn't even hibernate -- thus lacking the ability to swicth on that emergency inner metabolizing thingy.

2) Perhaps it's been hot as effin' hell down there, and the poor bear tiny cub has been rapidly dehydrating -- moreso than a bear in (say) Washigton state might be dehydrating.

So I again have to ask: ten days? Is this reporter sure about that?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If he did have it on 10 days+, he prolly learned to dunk his head deep enough to get a drink. It's not like the thing is air tight. It might seem a stretch, but when you want water, you hang around water struggling until you get some frickin water.

Horses with grazing muzzles, which have small holes for eating drinking and breathing quickly figure out how to get by. Sure it's not a jug on their whole head, but even the thickest horses stop standing around pouting and get down to figuring it out. (including how to rip off their muzzles 20 different ways, but that's another story.)

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
If he did have it on 10 days+, he prolly learned to dunk his head deep enough to get a drink. It's not like the thing is air tight. It might seem a stretch, but when you want water, you hang around water struggling until you get some frickin water.

Horses with grazing muzzles, which have small holes for eating drinking and breathing quickly figure out how to get by. Sure it's not a jug on their whole head, but even the thickest horses stop standing around pouting and get down to figuring it out. (including how to rip off their muzzles 20 different ways, but that's another story.)

Oh, ye with a horse in thine avatar -- thank you for clarifying this mystery! :cool:

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the report, they tranquilized the mother to get to the cubs, but it didn't seem like they traquilized the cubs, so I think the jar being not so tight as to be able to be quickly pulled off, makes sense, in which case, it was loose enough for him to get water if he dunked his head long enough. . . .

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
My heart goes out to that bear, and its mama, but there is something oddly adorable about the predicament. It does indeed remind me of Winnie The Pooh!