Eat, Pray, Love

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
The memoir by Author Elizabeth Gilbert has been produced as a film starring Julia Roberts. Columbia Pictures purchased film rights. It was released in the US yesterday Friday the 13th August and is set to be released on the cinema in the UK in late September. The memoir is about Elizabeth finding herself and inner peace, through 'Eat, Pray and Love'.

Has anyone read the book? And heard of the film? Anyone interested in seeing it?

For more information visit Elizabeth's website or visit the movie website.

Thank you. :)

kaitiepaige17

Inappropriate smiley INCOMINGGGGGG!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm seeing it next week :) It looks like such an inspirational story, and her journey is definitely something I would love to experience in my life. Plus, I love Julia Roberts, so that's just a plus :)

Reaction score
I've read the book and wasn't impressed. I'd love to travel to three countries on a 'spiritual journey' if I was paid in advance for it, too. It seemed like false spirituality. "Look at me and how enlightened I am! Oh, but I still want money."

That's not to say money and spirituality are mutually exclusive. I just mean she kept banging on about how enlightened she was and I thought, "Yeah, love, who are you trying to convince?"

That said, Javier Bardem is made of WHOA. So if I can get over the fact Julia Roberts makes me want to claw my own eyes out, I might make myself watch it.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My wife read the book. I'm pretty sure she enjoyed it...BUT when she found out they were making a movie, she could not for the life of her figure out how they could. It actually boggled her mind. I'd like to see it because I'm a fan of traveling...the places in the movie are the only thing that appeal to me, though. It 'feels' like place is a character in this one...and, if my wife wants to see it, I'd definitely go along for the ride...just to look at the scenery.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
A self-improvement movie, based on a wealthy woman's world tour, that comes with its own line of over-priced pseudio-ethnic handbags (and hundreds of other products).

I can't say it rocks my boat.

2Wheels

Anachronista
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know much about it, other than it's another Oprah book, or at least the author got to tout it on Oprah. What I know of the character/story doesn't thrill me either. It seems utterly contrived.

Reaction score
I always go to the cinema by myself. I go to see a movie, not talk to people.

Javier...shitty film...Javier...shitty film...

Decisions, decisions.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
A self-improvement movie, based on a wealthy woman's world tour, that comes with its own line of over-priced pseudio-ethnic handbags (and hundreds of other products).

ditto

even the brief trailer [preview] i saw made me wanna kill, not love. Sex in the city without the attempt at sex.

Reaction score
I think you just hit on something that boils my piss about the book, Paul.

"I'm celibate! I'm so spiritual! I don't need to have sex to experience love- Oh, hello, Mr. Tall, Dark and Handsome. Let's fuck." :e2brows:

Oh aye. Your principals go out the window along with your knickers when someone available shows up, huh?

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I always go to the cinema by myself. I go to see a movie, not talk to people.

Javier...shitty film...Javier...shitty film...

Decisions, decisions.
I've never done it. I always go with my kids. But I have a feeling, given all the traveling I've done, my life's journey and my food disorders, I'll probably cry and I don't want my kids fussing over me if I do.

Maybe this is just some media stunt...I don't know...but for me, the diet industry has everyone coming and going. And I'd like to know why Julia Roberts took on the project. (Yes, I'm a huge fan of hers) :)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I saw an interview with Roberts about this and she said she was given the book a long time ago and fell in love with it. She bought a bunch of copies and gave them as Christmas presents to her GF's. She said she takes a trip once a year something along these lines. She also said she is a practicing ....Buddhist?..does yoga....?......at least on the meditation stuff.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
I saw an interview with Roberts about this and she said she was given the book a long time ago and fell in love with it. She bought a bunch of copies and gave them as Christmas presents to her GF's. She said she takes a trip once a year something along these lines. She also said she is a practicing ....Buddhist?..does yoga....?......at least on the meditation stuff.

Yeah, that's what came acroos in the clip the OMG eastern spirituality, like wow and stuff.
YOU'RE FIFTY YEARS TOO LATE TO BE HIP JULIE!!

Kiddin, always like Julie - did i mention i met her once, beautiful looking woman in real life (her skin actually shone) but that's another story...

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Javier Bardem is enough to make me watch this movie. I am very easy to please.

I can ignore Julia Roberts. When the occasion calls for it,my focus can be very powerful.

I've never read the book but my co-worker did. In her words,it is angsty fuckery by a spoiled and whiny twat.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
agreed, I found the book to be a bit of a wank fest and I'm not really a big Julia fan, so I can't see myself seeing the movie. I was in Rome when they filmed that bit, I think I might have seen her actually!

But yup - I also got the feeling of fake spirituality, the 'look at how amazing this dew drop on a leaf is' kind of stuff that kind of vaguely irritated me. I was interested and repulsed by turns.

But James Franco? I'm more interested now... LOL

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

They based this movie on a book by Madonna?

Last edited: