10 reasons e-books might not eat the world

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Random points as they occur:

1- An eReader is a specialized device with very limited function. Now that tablet computers have emerged, specialized eReaders will no longer dominate the market as the only way to read your eBooks.

2- On that note, DRM. As a consumer, DRM concerns me. It's annoying, intrusive, and little more than a placebo to hand-wringing publishers and authors who believe that it protects them in any way from pirates. A pirate wouldn't have paid for the book in the first place. So, no money lost.

As a money-grubbing author, I love me some DRM. If you want to switch devices, you have to buy another copy of my book.

That said, if I'm ever in a position to decide between DRM and DRM-free, everything I sell will be DRM-free.

3- It is not the readers that will choose to explore the 2.99 price model, it's the authors who will enjoy getting hardback dollars for every sale. There are many other advantages to the author for the lower price and self-published nature of the model, but there's hard data that demonstrates a lower price sees a significant boost in sales figures. Not just in numbers sold but in gross capital input. I point to a video game to make the point: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/02/left-4-dead-sees-3000-jump-in-sales-on-steam.ars

4- On the whole 'hire movers' argument, that's a completely personal decision. There are some books that I would prefer to have in paper form. Just try to take my Aubrey/Maturin hardbacks away from me. I'll loose the cats on you. But for most of my reading, I just want the data.

And in that vein when a friend says 'Hey you should check out X book', if I'm even marginal on whether or not I'd like the book, I go to the price:

$15.99 trade paper. Hmm. Well, I'd rather not.

$8.99 eBook. Hmmm. Well, how do the samples read? Eh, they're okay, but not 9 bucks okay.

$2.99. Samples were acceptable if not phenomenal. Yeah, sure, why not? The low price lets me take a chance. Publishers / sellers / (most importantly) authors get a sale. With the other two, no sale.

Anyway, the big point seems to be that eBooks will never replace paper. I don't know about never, but I'd be really surprised to see paper vanish this century. I do expect to see eBooks continue to rise. And significantly. But, I don't think of ePublishing as a 100% substitute for print by any means for many many of the reasons listed by the OP.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really don't believe that multi-use devices will replace the e-reader. I mean, my cell phone takes photos, pretty darn good ones, but I still own a Nikon camera. With kids playing sports, I take enough photos for it to be worth my while to pay for a good camera. I also read enough to make a dedicated ereader worth my while. My Kindle is small enough to fit in my purse and much lighter than even a netbook. It's also more than $300 cheaper than an iPad. That makes it a useful tool for me and I know I'm not alone.

Deleted member 42

The majority of my books are "cheap paperbacks" as you call them. Most from the 70s.

I'm a careful reader; the sort who has archival quality cover protectors on hardbacks, and even on a fair number of paperbacks.

I have DAW, Penguin, and Ace paperbacks from 1976 to 1990 that have dark brown pages, and brittle paper.

Penguin and Oxford U. Press, and Norton Critical editions from 1985 to 2000 that have cracked bindings because the glue dried and shrank, stressing the binding, and cracking; these too have yellowed and yellowing pages.

It's because they were printed on acidic paper, using latex based glues.

After about 2005, when paper recycling became much more common, publishers could actually save money using recycled paper--which, incidentally, was low-acid (though still not acid-free) and that's going to make a huge difference for the durability of paperback books.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 42

PS: I really, really want to someday be able to carry my entire Analog SF magazine collection (which dates from 1960) in my pocket or on my iPad. That would be awesome, especially if it was a searchable database.

This is actually exceedingly likely; you know Analog has had digital subscriptions for a while, right?

In the early 2000s, they did produce a CD-ROM of back issues.

I think that it's exceedingly likely that they will do something like National Geographic and Scientific American have done.

I think it will take a while to be something that fits on a handheld and has a decent UI, but I think in a few years, this is quite likely.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
2- On that note, DRM. As a consumer, DRM concerns me. It's annoying, intrusive, and little more than a placebo to hand-wringing publishers and authors who believe that it protects them in any way from pirates. A pirate wouldn't have paid for the book in the first place. So, no money lost.

I'm against piracy on principle, of course, since my line of art doesn't enable me secondary income. I can't have conserts and tv-shows to pay my income, and if people pirate my books, I don't get anything.

Still, a friend of mine has an interesting theory, and he claims that what made Microsoft dominant was piracy. If Windows had not been thoroughly and extensively pirated, it would not have been the dominant operating system on the PC platform, is his theory.

If Windows had been impossible to copy, it would not have disseminated so widely on the platform and would not have pushed out all other attempts - like OS/2. Maybe 20 to 30 percent of the windows boxes would be Microsoft's true market, and not 95% as it was when Microsoft built its dominance. I actually think there is some truth in this.

I don't know if that theory will fit anything else, though. The dominance and brand recognition that Microsoft got, if my mate's theory is true, won't be easily transferred to books and writers. But the lesson for all the pirates out there is... if you don't like the dominance of a market like the one Microsoft has had, don't create the behemoth in the first place by piracy.

Last edited:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I have a comment that may be off base - or not. The majority of average readers I know, don't care a damn thing about all of the positives of e-publishing or reading devices anymore than they know or care who published of Stephen King's latest novel.

The problem I see right now with e-publishing is that there is such a glut of it on the Internet that searching for new authors to discover is very time consuming compared to going into a book store and browsing the isles. This experience of browsing has been part of the readers experience for years and years. Sitting on the floor of the bookstore and skimming through a book you found makes the whole experience memorable. Or so I feel...

I don't get the same feeling when I search the net, or Amazon for a new e-read. If anything, I get frustrated by the slush I have to wade through to find something that might interest me. And while there are a lot of poorly written printed books, there are even more e-books that are poorly written. A lot, and I mean, a lot, of my friends feel the same way. So are we the minority or just out of step?

I am not against e-books and believe e-publishing presents authors with new opportunities we did not have 10-20 years ago. But I also believe the glut of poorly written books hurts e-publishing more so than poorly written books hurt the printed book industry. Am I wrong on this? I don't know as a friend of mine says the cream will always rise to the top, in any market...

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not going to lie. I have downloaded a pirated ebook or two in my time. (The lure of having every book that Stephen King ever wrote on my computer to read whenever I wanted was just too much.)

So...yes, pirating will be what gets people to read ebooks, I think. Most people are not aware of the sheer amount of books that are available to be had by downloading a torrent. (This sort of sucks, of course, but I always got all my books from libraries, anyway, which isn't all that much different.)

Unlike what the OP thinks, it's extraordinarily easy to pirate a book. Stripping DRM is a breeze. (I wanted to read my Kindle books on my ereader, so I downloaded the Python script. It takes, um, ten seconds.) From there, a program like Calibre (freeware) turns any ebook into any format you'd like in another ten seconds. I can upload the darned thing to 4shared in a few more minutes.

The reason that piracy hasn't made much of an impact on the book market is that I don't think the people who are pirating books were ever buying them in the first place. But I do think that the current young generation, a generation who devoured Harry Potter and Twilight, are going to read ebooks. And I think they're going to pirate ebooks. And maybe, if we can sell enough people on reading books on a screen for free, then the people who can't figure out how to pirate ebooks or don't want to waste the time doing it, will actually buy ebooks.

Personally, I think free is the future, anyway. :)

Reaction score
Most people are not aware of the sheer amount of books that are available to be had by downloading a torrent. (This sort of sucks, of course, but I always got all my books from libraries, anyway, which isn't all that much different.)
It doesn't suck enough to stop you stealing and yes, it is that much different.

At least in this country, authors get paid when their books are borrowed from libraries.
Personally, I think free is the future, anyway. :)
Yes, and I think my hairdresser should colour my hair for free. I also think I should have the right to shoplift. The techie geek in my computer store should fix my laptop for nothing. Oh, and my optician should give me contact lenses and new glasses whenever I want for no charge at all.

Deleted member 42

I have a comment that may be off base - or not. The majority of average readers I know, don't care a damn thing about all of the positives of e-publishing or reading devices anymore than they know or care who published of Stephen King's latest novel.

I think that's absolutely true.

I don't get the same feeling when I search the net, or Amazon for a new e-read. If anything, I get frustrated by the slush I have to wade through to find something that might interest me. And while there are a lot of poorly written printed books, there are even more e-books that are poorly written. A lot, and I mean, a lot, of my friends feel the same way. So are we the minority or just out of step?

No; that's a reflection of reality. I am reminded of the mid 1980s, c. 1985, when Macs and laser printers were new.

People making a flyer, or a newsletter, overjoyed at the variety of fonts, would use six or seven on a single page.

It was hideous. But people learned, and you rarely see that now.

I'm hoping that there will be similar quality control forced by the market.

I want agents and editors and "gate keepers," just as I want spam prevention email filters running on my ISPs server, my mail account, and my local system.

And there's a lot of really bad writing out there--so much so that the really good stuff is being obscured.

I very much appreciate the way AW members alert each other to good books, particularly good ebooks.

I am also infuriated by the poor production quality of books I know are good books.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I am dead against THEFT. Stealing books--not paying for them--is theft. It's bad enough when readers do it. When WRITERS think it's okay. Wow. Disgusting.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yes, and I think my hairdresser should colour my hair for free. I also think I should have the right to shoplift. The techie geek in my computer store should fix my laptop for nothing. Oh, and my optician should give me contact lenses and new glasses whenever I want for no charge at all.

i no. right. i mean, jesus...why didn't we think of this before. yes. free is the way to go.

holy fuck.

Deleted member 42

OK

Here's an interesting question then:

Should purchasing an ebook give you the right to have a copy of the ebook on more than one of your own personal devices? (I know that many ebook producers--Kindle, iBooks, Barnes and Noble already allow this--but I'm interested in what people think is fair.)

Should buying an ebook that is in format 1.11 entitle you to a new copy when the reader/device changes to only support format 2.0?

Should buying an ebook with lots of obvious errors in formatting and text qualify you for a corrected version at no charge?

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
OK

Should buying an ebook with lots of obvious errors in formatting and text qualify you for a corrected version at no charge?

I can answer the second one. I bought a Dave Eggers book once and there were pages missing. This is a print book. I was reading along, and then there was this huge chunk missing. And when I went to the bookstore and checked all the others...they were the same. It seemed a whole print-run was done in error. (I can't imagine the cost this was to the publisher!) Anyway...I took it back and took a credit and got the book replaced in time.

Why would I be charged more to get a corrected copy of a book??? Of course I would expect to get the corrected e-book at no additional charge to me.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
my two cents

If you're like me, with a tendency to lose stuff,
if you lose a book, meh 20 dollars lost. but lose a kindle...ouch. :)

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Actually...for me, that's another bonus with the Kobo. If I tell someone about a book I just read and they ask if they can borrow it, I just say, "Sorry...it's on my Kobo."

I'm passionate about the books I love. Hence, I talk about them and share them. You'd be surprised by how many people NEVER return a book you lent them. And I can never remember who I lent what...because I'm ALWAYS lending books out. So now...that door is closed.

Reaction score
Me too, Kevlar. If someone asks to borrow a book, I say no. They think I'm mean. I don't care. Sometimes now I can say, "No, it's on my ereader," which takes the pressure off.

But I've reached the point of saying, regarding print books, "No; I never get them back, or they're returned damaged." - "Oh, but you know I'm different, though." - "Yeah, so different I'm saying no."

And if a person says, "Oh but it's only a book!" they can buy their own. Accidents happen. I don't want a book back with a broken spine, dogeared pages or coffee rings on the cover.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
The day I'll start buying eBooks is the day I can buy and sell them at Half Price Books.

This is actually exceedingly likely; you know Analog has had digital subscriptions for a while, right?

I must be really old-fashioned. To me, there's nothing like getting the latest one in the mail. Real mail. Not email. And to me, there's nothing like having a shelf or three lined with old copies of my magazines, pulling them out, admiring the covers (not a teeny tiny thumbnail), flipping through pages.

You'd be surprised by how many people NEVER return a book you lent them. And I can never remember who I lent what...because I'm ALWAYS lending books out. So now...that door is closed.
Not surprised. I lent 5 or 6 books to my SIL on Christmas. Books I hadn't even read yet. Haven't heard back from her on them yet.

Deleted member 42

But I've reached the point of saying, regarding print books, "No; I never get them back, or they're returned damaged." - "Oh, but you know I'm different, though." - "Yeah, so different I'm saying no."

Probably because of teaching, I tend to buy multiple copies of some books, especially if I see them at a used book store; these are copies I mean to giveaway loan to people, without an expectation of getting them back.

I've had all but a few books in storage now since September of 2008. It's been a little odd being without the books for my academic field, but it has made me decide to sell/give away an awful lot of the fiction.

Just packing them was interesting; books that I loved that were being self-destructed by the acid in their paper. The realization that I had five copies of Northanger Abbey, each a slightly different edition, that I'd used to teach with because the previous one was unavailable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not going to lie. I have downloaded a pirated ebook or two in my time. (The lure of having every book that Stephen King ever wrote on my computer to read whenever I wanted was just too much.)

+1 point for honesty.
-10,000 points for screwing over authors and your enormous sense of entitlement.

Should purchasing an ebook give you the right to have a copy of the ebook on more than one of your own personal devices? (I know that many ebook producers--Kindle, iBooks, Barnes and Noble already allow this--but I'm interested in what people think is fair.)

I think so. As you say, most publishers are already going that way. I have an Audible subscription, and they allow me to download my audiobooks to multiple devices, as well as burning one copy to CD.

Should buying an ebook that is in format 1.11 entitle you to a new copy when the reader/device changes to only support format 2.0?

I think it would be wise for publishers to make this an expectation when you buy an ebook; it will remove a lot of the worry people express about "losing" an ebook purchase due to future incompatibilities.

This would be an excellent benefit to tout as a reason for buying ebooks.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
OK

Here's an interesting question then:

I think that since these devices are in its infancy still, even though the e-book market is 20 years old, that we should try and set a behavioural model for consumers where the prime directive - on part of the publishing industry - is "don't be a jerk".

Seems to work well for this site. And I think it would work well for an e-book-model.

As we are in the device-infancy here I think we could set such a behavioural model by how we structure the business model, and in how we behave towards readers, and in how we describe the parts of the business model.

So, my view is that we should look at a copy of an ebook that have been purchased legally in as much of the same way as we look at a paperback. Are we going to protest if a person throws the paperback to a spouse/child/parent when s/he is finished reading? Are we going to protest if a person sends the ebook file to the spouse/child/parent?

I know there's a difference in that with a paperback, in that if you pass along the paperback you lose your own copy, but if you pass along a file you retain your copy. I would think though that since an ebook is a media that requires a lot of time investment to consume, as opposed to an mp3 that is 3 minutes ling, the benefit should be with the reader in this.

So, that's the long answer to your question; yes, i think it probably should be allowed.

As I said above, let's not be jerks, and allow that.

Yes.

Last edited:

thehairymob

If I had a brain I'd still be dumb
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
How would you stop people copying a ebook? DRM upset the user and has already proved unpopular in music downloads. Movies look like they may go the same way, if the heads of the film companies wake up. So why should we writers make the same mistakes the other industries have done. Another thing we need to learn though is that we can't set too high a price. I've seen ebook at $8.99 and more. This is madness if we are to reach more people. Cheaper prices will bring greater sales or we encourage the pirates as the other industries have done, and has taken a long time for them to start turning the tide. Let's learn from what has already gone before or we hurt ourselves.