AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Skype-to-Skype

Skype-to-Skype

I've had Skype for a long time and have made a few calls using my own credit.
    But I've never made a free Skype to Skype call and their site doesn't really explain it. Say I want to call my daughter -- do I have to make an appointment with her, to have her PC switched on, at the right time? Does her computer start ringing, or does she just "see" that I am online? She only has a cell phone apart from the laptop so what number do I dial anyway? Or if somebody calls me?
    OUT NOW!
    The Lost Daughter of India
    Amazon UK:

Amazon US:

Sons of Gods -- the Mahabharata

Website
    Facebook

Do you know what you are? You are a manuscript of a divine letter. You are a mirror reflecting a noble face. This universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you are already that ...
    ~ Rumi

Mostly harmless SuperModerator dpaterso's Avatar
    You should both have Skype running and be signed on (you may have to arrange this in advance).

You connect with her by clicking on her Skype username and choosing one of the connection options, e.g. Call or Video call (if you have cameras).

Whoever's being called sees a pop-up prompt, they can accept or reject the call.

I leave Skype running all day in case my dad or aunt call me.

-Derek
    The Sunday night Flash Fiction Challenge! Write a story in 90 minutes! If you dare.
    The challenge is open all week, all welcome. Check out FFC forum (password=flashed)
    This week's intrepid authors who dared: Jason, feyngirl, me.

My web page! Published short stories & novellas,
flash stories, Sci-Fi webcomics, omg screenplays too, lol
Does the excitement never end?!

OK, thanks! Does it give out a ring tone?
    OUT NOW!
    Amazon UK:

Amazon US:

Website
    Facebook

Do you know what you are? You are a manuscript of a divine letter. You are a mirror reflecting a noble face. This universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you are already that ...
    ~ Rumi

Mostly harmless SuperModerator dpaterso's Avatar
    Sorry I dunno, I've only ever had it running on my laptop, where the pop-up box pops up silently, if I'm not actually at my laptop I don't know anyone's calling. I can't recall switching sounds off, but who knows.

Added: checked Tools > Options > Sound tab on the left, and everything's ticked, so I still dunno why I don't get a ringtone when there's an incoming call. Maybe I'm not cool enough!

-Derek
    Last edited by dpaterso; 08-12-2010 at 04:36 PM.
    The Sunday night Flash Fiction Challenge! Write a story in 90 minutes! If you dare.
    The challenge is open all week, all welcome. Check out FFC forum (password=flashed)
    This week's intrepid authors who dared: Jason, feyngirl, me.

My web page! Published short stories & novellas,
flash stories, Sci-Fi webcomics, omg screenplays too, lol
Does the excitement never end?!

Fearsome Dragon Mod AW Moderator jvc's Avatar
    I haven't used it in a while, but there is, I think a funny sound when it is ringing. Not sure if you can change it for different ring tones.

(must get derek's skype username so I can bug him through that )
    Jed.

There comes a time in your life when you just have to run outside and shout 'banana' as loud as you can. Are you there yet?

Come follow me on Twitter (@JedCullan) for random stuff, plus regular #OnThisDay with humour.

My Blog: A Few Random Thoughts - Lots of Fun Facts and Humorous History posts. Parenting: Facts And Advice On Temper Tantrums.

There is a ring, yeah, and you can set it to at least two or three different ones, IIRC.

I bought my mother a laptop for her birthday this year and got it setup with Skype so she can video chat with my brother in Canada. It's pretty intuitive, once you have everyone set up as a contact. It's free and you can use it as much as you like. I know some people who just leave it on all day, talking as they go about their day.

Thanks everyone! It's good to know that there is a ring, because I'd miss it otherwise; my laptop is on all day wirth Skype switched on, but I'm not always in front of it and if I am working on something or writing on AW Skype is in the background.
    OUT NOW!
    Amazon UK:

Amazon US:

Website
    Facebook

~ Rumi

practical experience, FTW trocadero's Avatar
    I don't leave mine on all the time, or I get too many interruptions. Mostly I skype with my sister, and she sends me an email saying, "Quick! Get on skype!" I turn it on and there she is. Yesterday I used skype to send someone an sms internationally, too. 18 cents Australian. Skype is super.