Skype-to-Skype

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I've had Skype for a long time and have made a few calls using my own credit.
But I've never made a free Skype to Skype call and their site doesn't really explain it. Say I want to call my daughter -- do I have to make an appointment with her, to have her PC switched on, at the right time? Does her computer start ringing, or does she just "see" that I am online? She only has a cell phone apart from the laptop so what number do I dial anyway? Or if somebody calls me?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
You should both have Skype running and be signed on (you may have to arrange this in advance).

You connect with her by clicking on her Skype username and choosing one of the connection options, e.g. Call or Video call (if you have cameras).

Whoever's being called sees a pop-up prompt, they can accept or reject the call.

I leave Skype running all day in case my dad or aunt call me.

-Derek

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Sorry I dunno, I've only ever had it running on my laptop, where the pop-up box pops up silently, if I'm not actually at my laptop I don't know anyone's calling. I can't recall switching sounds off, but who knows.

Added: checked Tools > Options > Sound tab on the left, and everything's ticked, so I still dunno why I don't get a ringtone when there's an incoming call. Maybe I'm not cool enough!

-Derek

Last edited:

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't used it in a while, but there is, I think a funny sound when it is ringing. Not sure if you can change it for different ring tones.

(must get derek's skype username so I can bug him through that :D )

JemmaP

Registered
Reaction score
There is a ring, yeah, and you can set it to at least two or three different ones, IIRC.

I bought my mother a laptop for her birthday this year and got it setup with Skype so she can video chat with my brother in Canada. It's pretty intuitive, once you have everyone set up as a contact. :) It's free and you can use it as much as you like. I know some people who just leave it on all day, talking as they go about their day.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Thanks everyone! It's good to know that there is a ring, because I'd miss it otherwise; my laptop is on all day wirth Skype switched on, but I'm not always in front of it and if I am working on something or writing on AW Skype is in the background.

trocadero

Registered
Reaction score
Website
carolynwoulfe.livejournal.com
I don't leave mine on all the time, or I get too many interruptions. Mostly I skype with my sister, and she sends me an email saying, "Quick! Get on skype!" I turn it on and there she is. Yesterday I used skype to send someone an sms internationally, too. 18 cents Australian. Skype is super.