Freelancing Abroad

Bettedra

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Am I at a disadvantage because of my location? As I hunt for markets, I'm seeing a lot of this: "queries accepted by mail". I had hoped to do my querying via email, but I don't suppose I can just disregard the guidelines if they say "Mail".

Do you think editors would be wary/put-off by query letters sent from South Korea? Thanks to Skype and eFax, I have a local (U.S) phone number and fax number.

Am I limited to online markets until I head back to the states?

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
I'm overseas and have never had any problems. Not sure what publications you're looking at, but I only do email queries and never had a problem finding markets.

Bettedra

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
That's very reassuring! So if WM says "queries accepted by mail" do you still think it's okay to email?

Also, do your clients pay via Paypal?

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
99% of my clients pay via PayPal. Even the ones who don't offer Paypal have said yes when I asked. A few here and there only do checks. I ONLY query by email. If the market only takes paper queries, I simply skip it. I don't know what you write, but I've run into very few markets that don't take email queries. Unless they specifically say "no email queries," though, don't assume they don't take them.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
But don't just send them either. Ask first.

Why do you skip paper queries, NewKid? If a paper query can get me my published in my dream magazine market, I'll do it.

Domoviye

Busy, busy, busy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in China right now so I have a similar problem.
Fortunately I have a nice easy solution that may be useful for you. If I need to send anything by mail or receive anything by mail such as cheques, I do it through my Mother who lives in Canada.
I simply e-mail her the info she prints it out and sends it in for me. If she gets a cheque for me, she goes to the bank and puts it in my bank account.
So if you have a trusted friend or family member in North America or Europe, simply ask them to do you an occasional favour. It can't hurt.

Bettedra

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I can't tell you what a relief it is to hear that there are others freelancing abroad. As a complete newbie, it's nice to know that it can be done.

Domoviye: I actually already have all my mail going to a very good friend back home- I would just rather deal with markets that use email/Paypal, whenever possible. But I have it available as a last resort.

Domoviye

Busy, busy, busy
Registered
Reaction score
I can't tell you what a relief it is to hear that there are others freelancing abroad. As a complete newbie, it's nice to know that it can be done.

Domoviye: I actually already have all my mail going to a very good friend back home- I would just rather deal with markets that use email/Paypal, whenever possible. But I have it available as a last resort.

I do the same with dealing 99% through the e-mail and paypal, but its nice to have as a backup.

Last edited:

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
But don't just send them either. Ask first.

Why do you skip paper queries, NewKid? If a paper query can get me my published in my dream magazine market, I'll do it.

If you have a dream market and they only take paper queries, then by all means go ahead. I just don't think it's worth the hassle when I can e-query a different magazine. (All my dream markets take email queries, by the way).

Bettedra

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I just remembered another question I have for overseas freelancers: how often do you have to deal with contracts? Will there be a contract for every article, or just some?

More importantly, how do you sign and return contracts from abroad? I've signed up with eFax, which lets me receive, sign, and send faxes via email, but if I'm not really going to need it or there is a better way, I'd love to know.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
If you write for magazines/newspapers, yes, one new contract every time you sell an article. If you're a regular, then it's likely you only have to sign once. For example, I write for HowStuffWorks, which is owned by the Discovery Channel. It's not regular writing. Instead, every couple of months, they'll send me an email offering an assignment (I always say yes because the articles are easy, the guidance/help from editors is excellent and the pay is really good). The first article I wrote, I had to sign a contract and a bunch of other paperwork. Now I just get an email and an assignment.

As for contracts, only once had to send a contract via the post. Every other time, when somebody asks "sign and fax back," I always ask "Can I print, sign, scan and email back?" They've always said yes.

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
I live in the States, but I'm currently writing for markets in both Thailand and Australia. So far, no issues whatsoever with email communication.

I too have toyed with the idea of setting up an eFax account, but at this point in the game, I don't feel it's necessary. So far, I've been able to handle most contracts, etc. by email (I have a scanner on my printer, which I highly recommend!). In the rare case I need to fax something, I just stop by the Office Max or similar while I'm out getting groceries. Maybe I'll reach a point where I have enough faxing that it makes sense to get an eFax line, but I haven't yet.

Good luck!

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Who do you write for in Thailand? You don't have to share the name of the client if you don't want to, but I'm wondering if it's a magazine, travel site, etc. I live in Thailand and haven't seen many local opportunities.

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
I'm late to this thread, but I'm a freelancer living in Paris. Bettedra, I email all my queries. Never had a problem. I'm often paid via PayPal, but when I get paid by checks, I have my checks either sent directly to me in France, or to an address in the U.S. I also have an eFax account, which has been perfect for receiving and sending contracts and the like (though most contracts are sent via email anyway, these days).

If you're interested in reading about freelancing from abroad, check out my blog, The Expat Freelancer. (click the link in my signature) Good luck!

Bettedra

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm enjoying your blog already, Cleopatra. Thanks!

Theresa

Registered
Reaction score
I've run into an American family magazine once which said "mail queries only". I sent an email explaining that I live in Germany but would nonetheless like to send them queries and articles and if I might send them by email. They said yes and told me the email address of their editor. It's a high-paying market so I'd really like to get published there but haven't had the luck yet.