• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Stuart Krichevsky Literary Agency, Inc

worddance

Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's encouraging. I'm still in the ballpark, I guess. Thanks for the responses.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
woo hoo first request in a while!! Yay :D

So EQ+ 1 page + synopsis and Shana requested the first 50 pages! Woot :D

I'm particularly excited because I haven't yet gotten a request from people I've sent the synopsis to so I was worried my plot was putting people off.

fingers and toes crossed :D

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Oops I thought I added the response time - it was about a month and four days. So don't sweat it yet :)

Actually, since I've made some changes to the first chapter, I wonder whether I should let her know. She only read the first page though so I doubt she'd care.

Kassandra3

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.yolawriters.com
Four weeks for me on a query. She requested a partial--sweet! It's weird how every time I think the novel is the donest done it could be, I reread it and see all these little things to change. Weren't they there before? Or do rewrite elves sneak 'em back into the draft when my back is turned?

Dot Hutchison

Falling through Clockwork
Registered
Reaction score
I was extremely impressed by all my dealings with Shana.

I originally queried her at the end of August, and at the end of September she got back to me with a request for a partial, then for a full at the end of October. Didn't hear anything back for a little while but I wasn't too worried; at the end of January, when I got some bites on a new batch of queries, I sent her a polite nudge letting her know I'd had more requests and asking for an update. She said she really liked it and was having someone else take a look at it, so could she have a little more time?

She ultimately passed on the project at the end of March, but she gave me very personalized feedback that showed she'd really spent a lot of time looking through it and told me to definitely keep submitting to agents. She said even though there were one or two things that kept her from thinking she could sell it, there was definitely someone who could.

All of e-mails with her were polite and professional, and for a wonder, prompt. I tend to e-mail in the evenings when I get home from work, and I never had to wait longer than the next day for a reply. I'd definitely resub to her with a different project.

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
5/10/10 - Query, synopsis, and first page sent to Shana.
7/8/10 Request for first 50 pages.

I think it's safe to assume she's a little behind on queries, if anyone else is wondering about theirs.

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Query sent

I see there have not been any comments on this thread for a while. Has anyone submitted to them recently? I sent a query today for my 92k word historical fiction "The Dugout in the Basement". It's not the type of work they typically represent, but because it is fiction with a sports theme, I thought I would give them a try. Will post back when I receive a response.
Bryan

Etola

Still looking for stars...
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a fantasy to Shana Cohen in mid-September. I hadn't heard back and when I checked QueryTracker, I found that she is currently closed to unsolicited queries, as of early November.

I never heard back, so I am wondering--should I just assume she is not interested if I haven't heard back by now, or should I poke her since I sent it to her a couple of months before she closed to new queries?

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Etola, does she have an agency or personal blog that states she's a "no answer means no" agent? If not, I'd suggest sending a follow-up.

Etola

Still looking for stars...
Registered
Reaction score
Etola, does she have an agency or personal blog that states she's a "no answer means no" agent? If not, I'd suggest sending a follow-up.

She maintains a blog but it's not focused on her agenting; the agency's website, unfortunately, is a little thin.

I suppose a quick, polite & professional e-mail poke couldn't hurt...

ETA: Her statistics on QueryTracker show a high number of No Responses, which suggests that she is in the habit of only responding if interested.

Last edited:

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Etola, let me know what you decide. I sent my query on Nov. 5 and have not received any kind of response.

Thanks!
Bryan

tyrell

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I'm new here, but just thought I'd add my stats for Shana Cohen.

E-queried: October 13
full request: October 17
gentle nudge: Jan 3rd

and haven't heard a thing from her yet. I've heard she can be quite prompt, and she was with my query, so I'm not sure if this just means no. I'll try another nudge at the end of this month I suppose.

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
I just received a rejection email yesterday. I had addressed my email to Stuart but the email I got came from his assistant.
Bryan

tyrell

Registered
Reaction score
Sent Shana Cohen another email yesterday and heard back from her within a couple of hours. She said that she's been quite busy and hasn't had a chance to look at my manuscript yet, and she apologized for not getting back to me. It was great to hear from her, and at least it wasn't a 'no'. So if she still has your query or manuscript and hasn't responded, don't fret yet, she's been busy.

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Seems this thread has been quiet for a while - but the agency is still around. Anyway, any recent activity? Their website doesn't explicitly state that they are closed completely to new queries, but Shana's AQ page says she and the agency are. Personally, I'll go by the website, but checking here before I query.

~Fleur

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Shana Cohen last year and got a full request (which was ultimately a rejection). That was during a point where folks were saying she was closed to queries, but since I didn't see that on the website (and she responded with a request), I don't know what to tell you.

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, thanks for the input anyway, Aggy. :)