Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuart Krichevsky Literary Agency, Inc

practical experience, FTW

Question Stuart Krichevsky Literary Agency, Inc

This agency is not listed at P&E, but they're a member of AAR. Agent's name I contacted: Shana Cohen

I'm guessing if someone is affiliated with AAR, they should be on the up-and-up?????

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    An AAR member may be coasting on past glory, and any agent may be the wrong agent for a particular writer, but in general -- AAR membership is something you should look for.

Please be aware that agencies aren't members of AAR -- individual agents are.

Preditors & Editors Requiescat In Pace DaveKuzminski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwyn
    This agency is not listed at P&E, but they're a member of AAR. Agent's name I contacted: Shana Cohen

I'm guessing if someone is affiliated with AAR, they should be on the up-and-up?????
    Actually, it is. Look for it under Stuart. Why? Because businesses don't really have first and last names. Because of that, we also list agents using the same rule since many of them name their agencies after themselves.
    When it comes to PA, the royalty check and the reality check arrive in the same envelope.

Remember to be kind to writers who step in PA. They really don't know how bad it smells.

The difference between PA and WLA? None. Both have the stench of dead and dying books emanating from their doorways.

I write stuff and break boards. dragonjax's Avatar
    I found Shana to be very professional. She got back to me on my requested partial in less than six weeks, with an apology for the delay.
    "Undying Love," a short story by Jackie Kessler in FANTASY FOR GOOD - a charity anthology to help fight colon cancer

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar

re: Shana Cohen

Seconded.
    She was very prompt and thoroughly professional in all her correspondence with me

Scribe of my muse, Annabelle Jack_Roberts's Avatar
    Thank you for the information about Shana Cohen.
    I just sent my query letter, synopsis and first page to her on Sep. 11th.
    This is my first try at sending anything to an agent, so I wasn't sure how long I should wait
    Last edited by Jack_Roberts; 09-13-2006 at 07:06 PM.
    Scott Bryan
    (Not Jack Roberts)

Site & Blog:
    http://night-children.blogspot.com/
    Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/#!/scott_bryan1692
    Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!...?id=1659674089
    Search for Night Children Dark Threats and Night Children Dark Birth on Amazon

Self-Banned
    Shana answered my email query within a day, the partial within six weeks, and the full manuscript at or around two months. Quick, friendly, and very professional.

When should I contact her? I sent the email query on Monday. I don't want to rush her.
    Scott Bryan
    (Not Jack Roberts)

Site & Blog:
    Twitter:
    Facebook:

Absolutely Fazed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Roberts
    When should I contact her? I sent the email query on Monday. I don't want to rush her.
    If she hasn't specifically requested anything from you, never. Query other legitimate agents in the meantime. If you send out one query at a time and are hoping for a response, your grandchildren will be dead of old age before you get published.

Ah, good. Thanks!

Will do.
    Scott Bryan
    (Not Jack Roberts)

Site & Blog:
    Twitter:
    Facebook:

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    No website and minimalist PM page, but here's Shana's AgentQuery page.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II2014: 2015:

According to this (look toward the very bottom of the text area) Shana Cohen represented/represents "Blood Ties" by Ralph McInerny.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Apparently Shana sold a book called SPIRAL HUNT, an urban fantasy, to Eos in a three book deal. I read somewhere that this was in an auction but I can't be sure.

Author's name is Margaret Ronald.
    Last edited by melusine; 06-06-2008 at 11:10 PM. Reason: adding more info

Update: looks like their website is up, though still under construction in some areas.

http://skagency.com/

Oh my...I'm a big girl now...eep? Mt. Dew Addict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by melusine View Post
    Apparently Shana sold a book called SPIRAL HUNT, an urban fantasy, to Eos in a three book deal. I read somewhere that this was in an auction but I can't be sure.
    According to Publisher's Marketplace, that was sold at auction in November 2007. There isn't anything else more recent listed on Publisher's Marketplace for her, though there is for her agency.
    Unseen Beauty: On submission to publishers!
    Kaedra's Lament: at 75K!
    Vines - on hold, 50K
    I
    mani - researching

Ms. Cohen also reps the recently released book SUPERPOWERS by David Schwartz (I think that's the author).

Oh my...I'm a big girl now...eep? Mt. Dew Addict's Avatar
    Turns out not all deals are listed in Publisher's Marketplace...so, if she's had any other deals I'm not sure how to find that out aside from AgentQuery and googling.
    Unseen Beauty: On submission to publishers!
    Kaedra's Lament: at 75K!
    Vines - on hold, 50K
    I
    mani - researching

practical experience, FTW Rebecca_Rogers's Avatar
    Shana was very polite when I received her email rejection. Although, "probably not the right agent for you" is a beat-around-the-bush answer, if you ask me.

Shana seems like she has tons of clients, but AQ said she's actively building her list...was confused about that.

Anyway, for anyone who has queried her, what were your response times? Thanks!
    Blood in the Stars ~ paranormal romance, Aug 2013 from Soul Mate Publishing
    My Website

I finished my first book seventy-six years ago. I offered it to every publisher on the English-speaking earth I had ever heard of. Their refusals were unanimous: and it did not get into print until, fifty years later, publishers would publish anything that had my name on it ~ George Bernard Shaw

Listening to my other selves Erin's Avatar
    JJPie, we're on the same query trail! I queried Shana with Book 1 in January, rejected next day. Queried Book 2 in February, got 6 day reject.
    VIGILANTE NIGHTS: YA Contemporary - Available NOW! (Merit Press/F+W Media).

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Want to keep up with my latest news and releases? Subscribe to my Newsletter for exclusive subscriber only content and giveaways!

Totally Erin! Except I think you're a few months ahead of me. We should compare notes to make sure we've blanketed everything out there! Are we both writing urban fantasy perhaps?
    Blood in the Stars ~ paranormal romance, Aug 2013 from Soul Mate Publishing
    My Website

I finished my first book seventy-six years ago. I offered it to every publisher on the English-speaking earth I had ever heard of. Their refusals were unanimous: and it did not get into print until, fifty years later, publishers would publish anything that had my name on it ~ George Bernard Shaw

Listening to my other selves Erin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJPie View Post
    Totally Erin! Except I think you're a few months ahead of me. We should compare notes to make sure we've blanketed everything out there! Are we both writing urban fantasy perhaps?
    Yep! The book I'm back to querying is adult urban fantasy, the other is fantasy romance (which I quit querying in February for a while).
    VIGILANTE NIGHTS: YA Contemporary - Available NOW! (Merit Press/F+W Media).

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Want to keep up with my latest news and releases? Subscribe to my Newsletter for exclusive subscriber only content and giveaways!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Has anyone had any dealings with Shana Cohen lately? I queried her almost two weeks ago via email and haven't heard back.

Quote Originally Posted by worddance View Post
    Has anyone had any dealings with Shana Cohen lately? I queried her almost two weeks ago via email and haven't heard back.
    Two months from query to R the first time (last fall), about four weeks second time around (January).

Bouncing Atop the Water skippingstone's Avatar
    I queried her mid-January and got a partial request about two weeks later. Haven't heard back yet.
    Ye Olde Blogge: A Rock in My Pocket
    Yes, please do come and tweet with me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast