• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

CookeMcDermid Lit. Mgmt. (formerly The Cooke Agency) / Cooke International

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
I should be careful what I wish for lol

Heard back from Cooke today - form R on partial I sent them in August. I sent them the revised version a couple of days ago so maybe I nudged them into rejection, I'm not sure, but I suppose it's better to know. boo hoo.

Five bucks says I hear from them in the next twenty four hours :)

LlordLlama

Registered
Reaction score
rejected

So after about 7 weeks, The Cooke Agency turned me down. I justwish there was SOME reason other than "the industry is tough right now, blah blah, we must be 100% behind a client to offer support."

Oh well. Their loss, I suppose

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
So after about 7 weeks, The Cooke Agency turned me down. I justwish there was SOME reason other than "the industry is tough right now, blah blah, we must be 100% behind a client to offer support."

Oh well. Their loss, I suppose

That's the generic rejection letter they've been sending out all year. I have one for my novel Shade Fright from back in April. Thankfully I found a publisher for it.

djaffe

Me love books much
Registered
Reaction score
Mary Hu @ Cooke Agency?

Hey all

Has anyone heard anything about Mary Hu @ Cooke? Sent a partial on the request of Elizabeth but had originally submitted to Mary.

thanks!

Louisa

Registered
Reaction score
The Cooke Agency

Hello everyone! I'm new here, so please be patient. I was wondering if any of you had to do with the cooke literary agency. I queried them on the 12th of May and still got no response! Any experience to share? Thanks in advance!

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
From the website:
We try to respond within eight weeks, but please appreciate that this isn’t always possible. While we carefully review everything that is submitted, you will not receive detailed criticism of your work unless we are interested in representing it.

Last edited:

Phyllo

Still sitting
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm new here, so please be patient. I was wondering if any of you had to do with the cooke literary agency. I queried them on the 12th of May and still got no response! Any experience to share? Thanks in advance!

Sorry I didn't see this sooner Louisa, but for what it's worth here's my limited exeperience:

Queried Dean Cooke (yeah, the big fish, but his areas of interest seemed to line up nicely with my MS -- or so I thought) on March 24th. Brief form rejection received June 13th. So about two and a half months. Not great, but at least they answered.

So if that's any indication, then you still have some waiting to do. Hopefully your work will get a better result. Good luck!

Louisa

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, that was helpful! Crossing my fingers now!

Louisa

Registered
Reaction score
2 months and a half and a half and still nothing. Well, I'll write them off, but I was expecting at least a rejection form!

Oddly_Eccentric

Registered
Reaction score
May be a dead thread but I referenced it for this so i will assume others will as well. Had a manuscript request and then after two months had passed I emailed them to make sure it was received. I later received a message that they weren't interested enough in the query to pursue it further. Not sure why they asked for the manuscript in the first place then. So since this seems to be common among their agency, enjoy the feeling but if they don't ask for exclusivity, keep sending your queries to other agents.

jblackstream

Registered
Reaction score
Long long wait

I sent a query to the Cooke Agency on January 6, 2011. I received a request for a full manuscript on February 4 from Elizabeth Griffin. She said she was sending it to Sally Harding.

I followed up after about two and a half months (they said it would take 6-8 weeks). They said my manuscript was still in the to-be-read pile.

I just sent them another follow-up e-mail today since I still haven't heard from them. So . . . a little over ten months and counting.

Sigh.

Jenny

Erin Latimer

Stay in and write.
Registered
Reaction score
The Cooke Agency

Just received a full request from them. I haven't sent it off yet because of the strange wording. She requested an "electronic version" in reply to the email. I feel dumb, but I'm not sure what that means. I guess I'll send it as a word document and plea ignorance if I get in trouble.

Also, does anyone know if they usually ask for an elusive? I didn't see it on their submissions page. There's sort of no way I can grant that right now....so I'm hoping they don't ask. Eep! :)

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Just received a full request from them. I haven't sent it off yet because of the strange wording. She requested an "electronic version" in reply to the email. I feel dumb, but I'm not sure what that means. I guess I'll send it as a word document and plea ignorance if I get in trouble.

Also, does anyone know if they usually ask for an elusive? I didn't see it on their submissions page. There's sort of no way I can grant that right now....so I'm hoping they don't ask. Eep! :)

Erin,

I think you're pretty safe. Electronic copy usually means sending it via e-mail vice a hard copy through the post office.

Also, I think you meant to say "exclusive", but somehow I find "elusive" to be much more appropriate in the hunt for an agent. :Thumbs:

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
If they didn't specifically ask for an exclusive, go ahead and keep querying. It may be a while before you hear from them.

Send them the attached word document. It's best to "Reply" to their request email. Be sure to include a cover letter embedded in your email saying thank you for the request, etc., along with the original query wording so they can file it properly.

Erin Latimer

Stay in and write.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you guys!I sent it as a word document and just said I felt silly but wasn't sure what she meant. I got a very nice email back saying basically that "Yes, we got your material, and don't feel silly!"

Richard White: Der! I meant exclusive, haha. I'm just on fire today....

Mustafa

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recent experience with this agency? Anyone represented by any of the agents here? I write for kids, and I'm considering them, but I'm concerned that each of the agents seems to have so many clients that I might get lost in the mix. I'd love to hear how they are at communication with their clients.

Mustafa

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Just giving this another bump. Does anyone have any experience with this agency? They rep a lot of writers, any of them here on AW?

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Is this a no response agency? The wording on their website seems to suggest they can't offer detailed reasons for a rejection, but not whether they will respond with a rejection at all.

I had received confirmation of receipt of my query/sample pages, but that was back in July.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Chumplet, I have queried them in the past and never heard a thing.

tyrell

Registered
Reaction score
Any recent stats with this agency? I have a full out with Sally Harding/Elizabeth Griffin, and judging from this thread it looks like I may be in for a long wait.

Mandel

Registered
Reaction score
I saw Sally Harding at an event a couple of days ago in Vancouver (part of a writers conference) and she was charming and well spoken; also very honest about how busy she was. Someone asked her about queries and she mentioned that like most agents her days are packed full of working for her current clients. She reads queries and manuscripts on the evenings and weekends when she can. She said that she had 600 emails in her inbox right now and 400 were unopened. So, I imagine yes, you'll have a long wait. I'd do what other people say: keep on querying your list of favorite agents, and get your work out widely.

Or start that new novel and try not to think about the other one.