• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

CookeMcDermid Lit. Mgmt. (formerly The Cooke Agency) / Cooke International

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, if it took a month from query to ask for a partial, I'm not holding my breath. Which is fine. These things take time.

However, I think I'd nudge after two months on a partial. Not my advice or anything. Last time I did that, I had a very positive experience.

VickyH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriahoward.co.uk
I queried them on the 14th August, and received a request for a partial on the 22nd August. I sent a polite enquiry regarding the status of my submission on Monday and received a reply this morning, stating that they were still evaluating the submission.

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
Dara and Vicky, did it take them a while to send the confirmation receipt?

Since I got mine so soon, I want to think they're currently in catch-up mode. It took nearly a month for my query to go to a partial; maybe they were busy throughout the last few weeks?

Meh, I'm really reaching, aren't I?

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Frankfurt is on right now. I'd assume most agents are there and too busy to respond to queries/partials.

Lainey Bancroft

Cover Me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elaineforlife.com
When I got the confirmation that my partial had been received, the note asked for 6-8 weeks because "they liked to have several members of the staff read"

I'm only at about the 3 week point, so I'm waiting patiently. Ri..ight!;)

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
Lainey, your confirmation recept was different from the one I received. I totally assumed it was a form.

6-8 weeks isn't bad at all, though I expect it'll take a little longer--and not just because there are two others here who've already been waiting longer :D

Lainey Bancroft

Cover Me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elaineforlife.com
Lainey, your confirmation recept was different from the one I received. I totally assumed it was a form.

6-8 weeks isn't bad at all, though I expect it'll take a little longer--and not just because there are two others here who've already been waiting longer :D

Huh. And I thought mine was a form. I PM you with a copy.

wheelwriter

Not a runner, running.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I queried Elizabeth Griffin on 6/18/08 and recieved a request for a partial on 7/3/08. I emailed it on 7/6/08 and received a rejection today (10/20/08). All interactions were really pleasant and professional. I know some people are waiting for a reply from The Cooke Agency, so I just wanted to let people know to hang in there. It takes them a while but they do get back to you. Good luck!

Lainey Bancroft

Cover Me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elaineforlife.com
We...ll, Barber, not that I wanted to be rejected for Christmas or anything, but my wait was just a little over 4 weeks.:cry:

My DH says I must have had a kick ass query letter/synop to get read so fast...my 'insecure writer' says I must have super-sucked and not made it past the kid in the mail room.

(HUGS) on the R wheelwriter. Guess it was house cleaning day and we both got swept under the rug.

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, no!

*hugs Lainey*
Okay, wheelwriter, too.

So sorry, guys. I haven't heard back yet, but I'll let you know when I do. Perhaps they're extremely picky.

Best wishes for further requests elsewhere!

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Pardon please, but could anyone tell me what is going on with their website? All I get is a blank page with a small boxwith a red x in it. This isn't the only agent site I've found this. If someone would be kind enough to tell me what it is, then I'll go ask the tech section for help.

Thanks
S

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, works fine for me. If you got text, just not the pic, I'd think you had "block pic" set somewhere. But if you aren't getting anything at all, that's usually a compatibility issue. Is your browser, Flash, Java, etc. up to date? The Tech Help folks can walk you through it, if necessary.

bocabum

Procrastinator/Doddlebutter
Registered
Reaction score
Barber,

You said you received a confirmation receipt from Elizabeth Griffin, after sending your partial, is that right?

The reason I'm asking, is b/c she requested a partial of my manuscript the day after sending an e-query, but I didn't receive a confirmation receipt. Hopefully my email went through! Or perhaps she only sends those once the email has been opened?

Now I'm starting to worry!

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
I believe she sent my confirmation within a couple hours. How long ago did you send the partial?

It's possible she forgot to send the receipt, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Also, just to update (now that you've reminded me), she rejected my partial within a very impressive amount of time. A couple weeks if I remember correctly.

They must've been on a slow down over the summer, and now they're catching up, so expect a better turnaround :)

bocabum, wait a few weeks (from sent date) before inquiring.

bocabum

Registered
Reaction score
The Cooke Agency

So, I know I talked about this in another thread, but I was just wondering if anyone else has sent either a partial or a full, via e-mail attachment, to The Cooke Agency?

I sent a partial on Nov. 17th, and am now, seriously wondering if it made it past their spam filter. Some ppl have said that they have received a notification receipt, after sending their email, but I received no such thing.

I know, I'm being paranoid, but I can't help but worry! What if they never received it, and are wondering why I haven't sent the partial?? It's only been 2 weeks, should I wait another 2 and then write a quick, and polite email, asking if the partial was received?

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
I sent in a full manuscript they requested about a month ago and they sent me a confirmation e-mail the same day. It might be worthwhile just to send a polite e-mail confirming they received your submission.

bocabum

Registered
Reaction score
Even though it's only been 2 weeks, you think I should send a polite email, inquiring if they received my partial? I don't want to piss anyone off, but I have an awful feeling, that they didn't receive it!

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
Cooke Agency requested my full manuscript for "Shade Fright" at the end of October, they confirmed receipt on 3 November 2008. I haven't heard a peep since then and sent a polite request for an update on the status of my book on January 19th.

Still not a peep. Must be busy as heck I guess. Anyone else in the same boat?

Miguelito

Filled with optimism. And scotch.
Registered
Reaction score
Cooke Agency requested my full manuscript for "Shade Fright" at the end of October, they confirmed receipt on 3 November 2008. I haven't heard a peep since then and sent a polite request for an update on the status of my book on January 19th.

Still not a peep. Must be busy as heck I guess. Anyone else in the same boat?
Yes. But only since December 12.

kathleen_grant

Carpe Diem
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe I'm only discovering this agency now. WOW.
It's SO encouraging that they're Canadian, just a few hours away from me, and that they're taking Canadian submissions only right now.

YAY for Canada. Gotta get our publishing market back on track.

As soon as I'm done my re-writes, I'm DEFINITELY sending them a query letter.

canada.gif

dragonmedley

Inconsistent AWer
Registered
Reaction score
OMG! A Canadian agent willing to look at science fiction and fantasy. I think I just fell off my chair :)