• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

CookeMcDermid Lit. Mgmt. (formerly The Cooke Agency) / Cooke International

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Anybody familiar with either the Cooke Agency, or Elizabeth Griffin?

Thanks in advance.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yes, it is the one in Toronto. I was pretty sure they were well established. Just wondering if anyone here had any dealings with Ms. Griffin. Thank you Victoria.

Spiny Norman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shufflingandmuttering.blogspot.com
The Dean Cooke Agency

Anyone had any dealings with the Dean Cooke Agency? I know they're legit and Canadian though international... I sent them my first chapter in a query and then they asked for the full on exclusive until November the 15th. Got back to me pretty quick, spelled my name right, all the good signs, along with being John Irving's agent. But I'm just wondering if anyone here has some insight into the way they work.

edgyllama

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you are getting at. They are big and legit and well regarded. In other words, its great they want your MS and landing with them would be great.

Good luck and report back what happens on November 15th!

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Crossing fingers for you, Spiny.

Spiny Norman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm not sure what you are getting at. They are big and legit and well regarded. In other words, its great they want your MS and landing with them would be great.

Good luck and report back what happens on November 15th!

Oh, yes, I'm very happy that they want to look at it, what I want to know is if anyone else has submitted to them and what sort of treatment they got.

Crossing fingers for you, Spiny.

Thanks! I'm crossing various appendages here, as well. Fingers. Toes. Eyes. Braiding my hair. Using clothespins to cross my ears. Etcetera. One of these has to work, right? I mean, it's the law of averages.

Spiny Norman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Aaaaand I just realized I got the gender wrong on my query. This isn't because I did no research, but because sometimes it is impossible to figure out their gender just from reading about them. Lots of "thems" and "theys" and "the agency."

Oh, well. They asked for it, I gave it... Hopefully they won't be like, "This is great, I love it! ...waaaait a second, this guy screwed up his query! Hand me that big red stamp that says 'dumbass' so I can send this directly back to him."

edgyllama

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
They're pretty high profile...may take several months to hear back from them. Patience, young padwan :)

Spiny Norman

Registered
Reaction score
Website

Took a look at that. Not quite that much information on the agents themselves, though. My Canadian friend knew them immediately, though.

And here's another odd thing - they say that they don't accept email queries, yet they say they opposite on agentquery.com and not only answered my email but also asked for the full by email. It makes sense that they would, as they're Canadian and most Staters would have no idea of where to get Canadian postage.

Hoping this isn't some fluke and I haven't wasted over a month...

Spiny Norman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, on Saturday night I sent an email saying I would resume querying other agents on Friday, the day after the exclusive runs out. I made sure to express that I was still eager to work with their agency and to let me know if they need anything. I understand these things can take months, but... Well, I can't stand sitting still.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Well, on Saturday night I sent an email saying I would resume querying other agents on Friday, the day after the exclusive runs out. I made sure to express that I was still eager to work with their agency and to let me know if they need anything. I understand these things can take months, but... Well, I can't stand sitting still.

Keep us updated, and good luck!

Spiny Norman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, it's been about four months now. By now another agent has asked for the first 100 pages and I'm gearing up for a new round of serious querying. They did finally send me an email saying that due to the holidays their response time was much, much longer and that it was still being considered. Still, I can't call myself hopeful right now.

Spiny Norman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Just out of curiosity, have any of the more inside insiders heard anything about this agency? Like, inner turmoil or sales or anything like that? I'm finding it hard to get anything solid on this. Meat does not fall cleanly from the bone we call Google.

edgyllama

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Query them again to ask your status. As long as no agent has yet to reprsent your work, I'd let it slide. They are huge and probably very busy.

Lainey Bancroft

Cover Me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elaineforlife.com
I do realize this is kind of a 'dead thread' but FWIW, I e-queried Elizabeth Griffin ten days ago (women's fic) and just had a request.

I can email my first three chapters or if I choose to snail mail, they should be addressed to the Vancouver office, attn: Carol Bidwill.

Anyone have 'fresh info' on the agency in general or Carol Bidwill?

shameless

Superlative Type A
Registered
Reaction score
West of somewhere and a click south of nowhere
Website
www.sandy-james.com
I do realize this is kind of a 'dead thread' but FWIW, I e-queried Elizabeth Griffin ten days ago (women's fic) and just had a request.

I can email my first three chapters or if I choose to snail mail, they should be addressed to the Vancouver office, attn: Carol Bidwill.

Anyone have 'fresh info' on the agency in general or Carol Bidwill?

Hi, Lainey! :hi:

Congrats on the request! I don't know which agent (sorry, middle-aged memory issues), but Cooke had an agent taking appointments at RWA nationals. They're obviously still looking to represent romance.

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
Just thought I'd add my so-far experience with Elizabeth.

I e-queried September 18, receiving a partial request October 14 (yesterday) for a partial. I'll follow up once she gets back to me with either a full request or rejection.

Website says they're only accepting Canadian authors. Does that mean they're too busy to go international right now?

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
Just thought I'd give the heads up that Elizabeth Griffin emailed a confirmation receipt, which is awsome.

So don't go thinking she rejected you just because you receive a reply shortly after you send the material! :D

Dara

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.capriciousquills.com
I've had a partial out to them since July 25, but have kind of given up on hearing anything back at this stage. Still, I guess it hasn't even been 3 months yet, just feels longer...