• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Need fiction beta - chapter by chapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

branchwag

Re-writer Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
My piece is sort of hopping genres right now and currently I have it pegged as the hybrid literary/commercial fiction. It's called The Crimson Ideal.

Edit: This piece is being reworked right now and would be a rocky beta read. For now, I'm rewriting and don't need a beta at the moment, but I'll open this again to reads when I finish these major revisions.

Here's the pitch for it:

Celine Moreau, a prestigious Parisian corporate lawyer, is handling the largest case of her career and certainly can’t afford to have any skeletons let out of the closet. Yet, as she encounters a French interpreter that starts to dig into her past, she finds it difficult to maintain her pristine image in front of her peers. As romance blossoms and corporate dealings turn shady, the reader gets a first-hand look into the mind of a woman suffering with PTSD, and how one tragic event can truly change a person’s life forever.

Things I'm looking for in a beta reader;

- able to give very detailed feedback about plot, characters, and sentence construction

- honest and very tough criticism

- able to point out things that would keep the book from selling

Anyone interested?

Last edited:

branchwag

Re-writer Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
This work is now completed, but I would still appreciate a beta reader for this, but, seeing that I have much more time now after the first semester of college under my belt, I would like to partner with someone to read their book in exchange for their comments on my own. Is anyone interested?

rainyofthedark

Distracted Overlord
Registered
Reaction score
I just replied your thread about POV and chapter layout etc. I'd be willing to read the first chapter, and go from there. If you take my suggestion in the other thread, you'll have some work ahead of you before it can return to the beta-reading stage. But, I can give you some feedback on Chapter 1 to keep in mind while you're reworking it. Then we'll go from there.

Forewarning: I'm a no holds beta reader. I will point out what works and pepper in a little praise, but I don't just line-by-line critique; I word-by-word critique. I've been known to debate a single word choice for hours in my writing group, lol.

I'm not looking for a beta reader in return, as I already have a network that takes care of running my work through the wringer.

You can send Chapter 1 to [email protected] if you like. Please reply here to let me know if you do, as I don't check that email very often.

Best luck,

//R

branchwag

Re-writer Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! I took the link out of my signature but I forgot to post here (will edit the first post after posting this), but yes, it's totally in the reworking stage now and would be a rocky beta read. I have a prologue that I'm debating to use though...and seeing that Celine is the 'main' character, I'm wondering if I should just cut out the prolouge...Can I send both? (The prolouge is only two pages)

Status
Not open for further replies.