Canajan, eh?

GodOfABF

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hello from Brampton

Hi everyone,

Science Fiction / Fantasy (self-published) writer here from Brampton, Ontario. In my "real life" I do computer security for a living.

Looking forward to vicariously meeting you all!

Cheers

GFanthome

At the computer, opening a vein
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Hey fellow Canucks! :)

I too am from the Hinterland Who's Who. I often use "eh" and have been told on many occasions that I have a strong Canadian accent... whatever that is. I love my country but I'm not a fan of Harper. 'Nuff sed!

_______
My Blog

Nualláin

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there countrymen and countrywomen. I've lived in quite a few spots and travelled all over this wee nation of ours, including going all the way up to the shores of the Arctic Ocean. Currently abiding in Alberta, but I have ambitions to change that soon... The Centre of the Universe (otherwise known as Toronto to the uninitiated) beckons me back.

cjmarkusfeld

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
A Canuckian thread! I'm overjoyed to discover this. Toronto checking in - well, Richmond Hill, I guess. Originally from the Ottawa Valley and can occasionally produce the proper accent after a couple of drinks.

Brand new to the forums here - already feel like I'm drinking from the fire hose with all the information on here. Looking forward to catching up with fellow Canadians.

CJ

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Hey there countrymen and countrywomen. I've lived in quite a few spots and travelled all over this wee nation of ours, including going all the way up to the shores of the Arctic Ocean. Currently abiding in Alberta, but I have ambitions to change that soon... The Centre of the Universe (otherwise known as Toronto to the uninitiated) beckons me back.

That's terrible. My heart bleeds for you.

Wendy Jenae

Autonomous & Nocturnal
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm a wannabe YA novelist living in downtown Toronto--right near where the Occupy Toronto camp was until a few days ago.

Is the plan for all of us to hunker down for the long winter and write?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Hey everyone!

I'm a wannabe YA novelist living in downtown Toronto--right near where the Occupy Toronto camp was until a few days ago.

Is the plan for all of us to hunker down for the long winter and write?

OR...meet up. There are breakfast meetings for writers in Ajax...just east of Scarborough. Www.wcdr.org Dec is Wayson Choy speaking. :)

cjmarkusfeld

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
OR...meet up. There are breakfast meetings for writers in Ajax...just east of Scarborough. Www.wcdr.org Dec is Wayson Choy speaking. :)

I bumped into a NaNo meet up group at a bookstore in Richmond Hill last month ... I'll have to see if there any ongoing writing groups up here as well.

CJ

Nualláin

Registered
Reaction score
Both :D Although Toronto is a circle of hell that's hard to beat.

Hah, fair enough. I have a soft spot for TO after living there a few years as a younger (and somewhat better looking) man. It's certainly not a place to get bored in, unlike Edmonton which I find a bit tedious from a creative perspective.

Flying out to Toronto for a long weekend next month actually, to see the Marc Chagall exhibit at the AGO and have a visit. Looking forward to revisiting some old haunts, and spending a weekend not working on either of my current projects. Should be fun.

EddyJ

One day at a time, eh?
Registered
Reaction score
I bumped into a NaNo meet up group at a bookstore in Richmond Hill last month ... I'll have to see if there any ongoing writing groups up here as well.

CJ

I don't know if anyone will look at this thread now since it's been a few weeks since the last post (but I just joined in December). Anyway, I have not attended the Writers Group in Durham but it looks well organized. There is also a Toronto branch of the Canadian Authors Association that meets monthly downtown (Yonge & St. Claire). I attended this week for the first time--some interesting, dedicated writers. As the former Cali Guv used to say "I'll be baaack".

For those of you in the Toronto area, or plan to visit, who are going to the AGO to see the Chagall exhibit make sure you also take in the Jack Chambers exhibit (London Ontario artist). I say that shamelessly because I have written a novel that is, in part, about Chambers and another London artist, Greg Curnoe.

I'm a Canuck from London, but currently live in the 'burbs of Toronto.

Anjasa

Fantasy Smut? Yes please!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm originally from Ontario, and moved to Newfoundland when I was 18 :D Been here ever since, and I love it - except those years with terrible 6 month long winters with 12 feet of snow on the sidewalks.

But most of the time I absolutely love it here :)

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone thinking about going to Surrey writer's conference this year? I'm considering it. It'd be my first conference. Have to see how the job sitch is, first.

Sea Witch

Stirring the word cauldron
Registered
Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver Island checking in! Hip-Hop-a-Potamus and Lady MacBeth already said hi in the welcome forum, so I know there are a few Canucks out there.

I'm American and Canadian and have lived in western Canada for the last 20 years. Grew up in the states and lived in France for 6 years. Here to stay on the Island.

Great to find some Canadians! And great to find a writing forum where I can let down my long grey hair.....

theelfchild

Thinking up something clever
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya people. :hi: Definitely all Canadian here - though I don't seem to have the 'Canadian' accent. Kinda sad about that one.

Went to Colorado a few weeks back and kept getting shocked into realising it really is a different country down there. I like my country better. Much better. :D

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya people. :hi: Definitely all Canadian here - though I don't seem to have the 'Canadian' accent. Kinda sad about that one.

Went to Colorado a few weeks back and kept getting shocked into realising it really is a different country down there. I like my country better. Much better. :D
*notifies the border guards*

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Sea Witch, where did you live in the states? Obviously, as my quote says, I'm a Texan originally. My hubby's from Wabamun, so that's how we ended up here in Alberta.

He did 10 years purgatory down there by marrying me, but we decided that was enough and headed north. We're staying put now (I'd really like to be in another province, but I'm kind of stuck here due to his family connections).

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
For the novelists among you - do you write your manuscripts in Canadian or American English?

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I'm American, and I'm probably going to have the best chance with an American agent/publisher, so American for me (the little u's everywhere give me hives, y'all :tongue)