Canajan, eh?

@LeaLately

Registered
Reaction score
Canadian born and bred saying hello! Currently I live in victoria, but have also lived in Calgary, High River, Muskoka ON, Lunenburg NS, Castlegar BC, Montreal QC and Niagara Falls! Love this country.

V.J. Allison

Sunny with a Side of Evilness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
I guess I am a "mixed-breed" Canadian being American on my father's side... But, to me, Canada is ALWAYS special and a place to return to for peace and beauty. Did you ever notice when you drive into Canada the air actually smells differently? Well it does to me! There is - was - even a town in Alberta named after my family.... Cranford.... but it seems to be gone now... kind of like the family!
How many remember Stomping Tom Connors and his music?
Pub food in Montreal taverns?
Nova Scotia's tidal surge?
The West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island?
Did you see the old Stern Wheeler's in Whitehorse, Yukon before a tourist burned them up?
Ever get your weeks pay in GOLD?
Drive the Carcross-Skagway Highway?
Considering I'm Nova Scotian by birth, and I still live here, yes, I remember the tidal surges. NS shares the Bay of Fundy with NB after all. I have seen the Bay of Fundy from both sides of it, because I've been to New Brunswick several times.

Oh my, Stompin Tom Conners... My uncle loved his music.

Welcome to all new Canadian members.

- - - Updated - - -

Canadian born and bred saying hello! Currently I live in victoria, but have also lived in Calgary, High River, Muskoka ON, Lunenburg NS, Castlegar BC, Montreal QC and Niagara Falls! Love this country.

I'm about 25 miles or so from Lunenburg, both my father and my father in law worked in the fish plant that used to be in there. It's now Highliner Foods. Lunenburg is one gorgeous little town, I love it there.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
I'm from Toronto :) Lived here most of my life, other than a few of years in Niagara for school. I say "eh" sometimes, although the most Canadian thing about the way I speak is probably that I always say "Tor-ah-no" instead of "To-ron-to".

Manaia

Registered
Reaction score
I'm from the wet West Coast, and I've been told I have a bit of an accent. I've been living with a kiwi guy for a couple of decades, and our way of saying things has apparently been affected! I love Canada, I love New Zealand, and I love my two incredible Caniwi kids. That's all!

Thesala

Registered
Reaction score
I'm from Montreal though I'm currently living in Germany. Counting the days until I go home for Christmas and get my tush frozen and snowed in thanks to our crazy winters. But hey, aside from getting pampered by my family, I'll get to watch hockey and eat real poutine for a few days! :snoopy:

Hublocker

Banned
Reaction score
Look for a pro editor to provide a manuscript evaluation for me in Vancouver.

PickleHeartsBooks

Registered
Reaction score
I'm from Toronto :) Lived here most of my life, other than a few of years in Niagara for school. I say "eh" sometimes, although the most Canadian thing about the way I speak is probably that I always say "Tor-ah-no" instead of "To-ron-to".

oh my goodness it bugs me so much when people fully pronounce Toronto! haha! Especially when people who live near Toronto say it all proper. It's just like: "...No. Stop saying it all proper. You're not Ross Geller."

I do say "eh" a lot. In the same way most Americans would say "huh", I guess. Like when you're looking for agreement, or you are in agreement.
"It's so hot out, eh?"
"Oh, I guess that's the only option, eh?"
"This book is so good!" - "I know, eh!?"
ha.

And I have never once in my life heard someone in all seriousness say "aboot". We definitely have a softer "ou" sound than the Americans do, but it is NOT aboot, and I hate it when people say it is. lol

I live in Ontario, about an hour north of Toronto. I've also lived in Sudbury and Ottawa for school, and until I was eight, I lived in Summerside, PEI :) :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I have lived most of my life in Trono. To those on the outside, that's Toronto. I have heard a lot of aboots...but only from my family in New Brunswick. (-: Regional pronunciations slay me. When I go for a visit, though, I start to slip into that regional dialogue, because I spent my childhood summers in NB.

Heskett

Registered
Reaction score
Found this thread in the international section and figured that I'd come on in and add my name here.

Another Canadian reporting for duty! :hooray::hi:

Elandryn

Registered
Reaction score
I'm Northern BC born (Kitimat) currently living in Edmonton. Parents and grandparents are both from Saskatoon. Apparently have Metis in me on my mother's side ;) Don't travel much though, so I haven't seen much of the rest of the country - been Vancouver, been to Saskatchewan. Noplace further east than that though ;)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Elandryn! :welcome:Oooh! Kitimat! The relatively big city! I was born, many years ago, in Ocean Falls, somewhat south of you. (Pretty much a ghost town now, if you're young you've probably never heard of it.) I've never been to Kitimat or Saskatchewan. No further east in Canada than Edmonton. (I have kin there.) Yay Northern Canada! Unless, of course, you were planning to travel by Greyhound.

Last edited:

Elandryn

Registered
Reaction score
I have heard of Ocean Falls ;)

I live in Edmonton now, have since 1992 :) It's good to meet another Northern BC'er lol

Tristann

Purportedly hobbitish.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a lapsed Canadian (not been home in a very long time), am I still eligible? :D
Originally from Charlottetown, PEI.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I never notice the accent. I was brought up with a French-Canadian father and a mother who came from Belfast.

And yes: you are still a Canadian! We're global, eh? :p

Tristann

Purportedly hobbitish.
Registered
Reaction score
For me it's Canadian mother and English father.

The accent is the thing that always comes up in conversation in the UK, especially when it's someone new. It's actually really nice, so many people either tell me how much they want to visit Canada or how much they enjoyed it if they already have.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to go see the U.K. I think once I finally get my degrees and such I may travel or move around a bit.

Tristann

Purportedly hobbitish.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to go see the U.K. I think once I finally get my degrees and such I may travel or move around a bit.

Very cool plan. I would highly recommend the lake district, and Sutton Hoo, York... yeah there's a lot here hehe. I've only ever been to Glasgow in Scotland but it was so great, it was the friendliest city I've ever been to. I'd love to travel more, haven't done nearly enough lately. I used to live in Oman, which is seriously one of the most stunning countries in the world. If you like the water there are great opportunities for scuba diving and snorkelling (coral, turtles, the lot) and further inland there are places you could easily mistake for Mars- you should add it to your list :D.

What are you studying? I'm a mature student at the moment, too.

My son and daughter in law just spent two weeks in the UK - they loved it!

That's so awesome! Where did they explore?