Canajan, eh?

Randy Lee

knew the job was dangerous
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, L M Ashton. It's nice to see a familiar face here. I just joined AW a few days ago.

You know me as Randy, but that name was taken when I signed up here.

Sorry for crashing your party, everyone. I'm not Canadian. But the Canadian border guards did let me into your country one time. Maybe you'll let me do the same for your community this one time.

I watched the fireworks in Edmonton on Canada Day 31 years ago. They were the best I'd ever seen. It was a little strange having to wait until 11 o'clock for the fireworks to start, though. Those are long days you got there northward.

Randy Lee

knew the job was dangerous
Registered
Reaction score
I knew you lived in Canada years ago, but I don't know if I ever knew that you lived in Edmonton. I thought of staying in Calgary on July 1, but they didn't have fireworks there, so that's how I ended up in Edmonton.

Pavlova

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, does anyone know how Canada got it's name?

They put all the letters of the alphabet in a toque and started pulling them out one by one.

C, eh. N, eh. D, eh.

<<----

American's love that one.

That's a good one, eh?

___Mag

All worth doing is worth overdoing
Registered
Reaction score
I say "eh?" Never "aboot." I don't even know why my American friends think we say "aboot."

xxFrozenFlower

fangirl extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
/rolls in

I say "eh" all the time, but more in the "so you wanna take the bus, eh?" way than "you're taking the bus, eh", if that makes sense... =u=

Yeah, the "a-boot" thing bugs me... some Canadians kind of say "a-boat" but I've NEVER heard anyone pronounce it "a-boot" aside from people who are mocking us... eAe

shakespeareswench

Registered
Reaction score
Americans hear "aboot" because their hearing isn't attuned to the "ow" sound we Canadian actually make, so their brain translates it to the nearest sound in their range, which is "aboot".

<waves hello to her fellow Canucks>

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I always assumed the aboot came from the Newfoundlanders... (no offence to any here!)

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
As an American who has now experienced the nuances of "both" languages, I can tell you with some authority that you're actually saying "abote" without realizing it.

Listen to an American say it, and it is most definitely ABOWT. And in the South, ABAY-OUT.

And there you have it.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
My liverpoolian friend would say it sounded like I was saying "aboat"

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
"Aboot" is the Scottish version. In my now 6 years here in Newfoundland, I've never heard anybody ( apart from me) use it.

Hublocker

Banned
Reaction score
I was in Zaire on my way to the border with Uganda when I was 18 in 1972.

There was this strip of no-man's-land about 2 kilometres wide between the border posts. it was hot dusty African savannah kind of terrain.

Met another backpacker doing the same thing. He spoke a few words and I said. "You're from Burnaby eh?"

He was.

Dr-I-Know-All

Registered
Reaction score
Canada Girl

Can I still be a part of the love if I'm not living in Canada? I miss it! :cry: