Canajan, eh?

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Ona--

Me too, only I'm married to an Albertan (It's ok. He's really cute). From Texas originally. Now in Edmonton.

:)

kclaw

Registered
Reaction score
I'm from Montreal. All I can say is there's no chance I'll ever look within this province for an agent/publisher. They're probably all French here.

When I lived in Montreal (albeit as a student who was not exactly thinking publication yet), I heard a lot more about local English small presses/indies than I did agents/big publishers. But one good thing about being in Montreal while scouting agents? Same time zone as New York.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know that time zones matter much. I guess it makes it easier to schedule 'the call' or talk to your agent on the phone, but it's not like they're in Europe where night is day.

For that matter, more agencies seem to be blooming outside of the Big Apple these days. Several of the top agencies in my genre are in California.

How are you going about looking for agents? Do you use AgentQuery, QueryTracker, and Publisher's Marketplace?

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
So... you didn't really move at all then?

I guess it's colder in the winter, but otherwise... ;)

Yeah, not much. But those -40 C days are a bit of a buzzkill compared to the 45 degree ones I knew at home.

:/

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, not much. But those -40 C days are a bit of a buzzkill compared to the 45 degree ones I knew at home.

:/

The thing about -40 degrees is you can dress up for it. It's hard to dress down for +45 degrees.

I've spent a winter in Winnepeg (and several in Calgary) and a summer in a place where it hit the mid-high 40s often enough. At least the snow is fun to play in. When it gets that hot all you can do is wait for it to cool off.

Iskandar

Older but not always wiser
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dansilberman.ca
I've spent a winter in Winnepeg (and several in Calgary) and a summer in a place where it hit the mid-high 40s often enough. At least the snow is fun to play in. When it gets that hot all you can do is wait for it to cool off.

Life in Calgary: by April you're begging for the warm weather to return. +10 (C) feels like 30 and everyone runs around in T-shirts.
By June you're praying for the monsoons to stop (God willing and the creek don't rise!).
By the end of July you're dodging the hail and lightning, driving from overpass to overpass so that your recently repaired car doesn't get dinged again.
In August you're getting tired of the +35 dog days and fondly remember the cool, delicious winter days.
In September it gets dark at 7:30, the leaves fall and you dig out the winter clothing...Just in case.
All kidding aside, I can't conceive of living somewhere where there are no seasonal changes. Beside, what in the world would you talk about with perfect strangers in the Starbuck line-up or in the elevators at work :)

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Life in Calgary: by April you're begging for the warm weather to return. +10 (C) feels like 30 and everyone runs around in T-shirts.
By June you're praying for the monsoons to stop (God willing and the creek don't rise!).
By the end of July you're dodging the hail and lightning, driving from overpass to overpass so that your recently repaired car doesn't get dinged again.
In August you're getting tired of the +35 dog days and fondly remember the cool, delicious winter days.
In September it gets dark at 7:30, the leaves fall and you dig out the winter clothing...Just in case.
All kidding aside, I can't conceive of living somewhere where there are no seasonal changes. Beside, what in the world would you talk about with perfect strangers in the Starbuck line-up or in the elevators at work :)

That's actually been one of my favorite parts of moving north-- seeing the seasons. I love seeing the leaves turn and actually feeling autumn. At home it lasts for a week if that.

But come March, when the snow is never-ending, I desperately miss my roadsides full of bluebonnets, and put pretty screensavers on my computer to make me less homesick.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Monsoons? How much rain do you get in Calgary?

I've lived in Edmonton which didn't get all that much. I lived in Vancouver which got a fair bit, and even there we didn't call it monsoons. Now I live in Asia where we really do get monsoons.

Iskandar

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dansilberman.ca

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Well, this year enough to cause the biggest flood in the history of Alberta. Generally in May/June we get a lot of rain while July/August are hail season.
Check this site:
http://www.calgaryherald.com/Docume...d+capital+destructive+hail/8739181/story.html
I know about the flood and #napforNenshi on twitter. He sounds like a pretty terrific mayor, by the way.

It seems that Calgary gets around 16 inches of rain a year usually. And you call that a monsoon? Parts of Sri Lanka get up to 50-100 inches of rain a month. Singapore averages around 100 inches of rain a year. But you call Calgary's rain a monsoon? How...weird.

Iskandar

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dansilberman.ca
But you call Calgary's rain a monsoon? How...weird.

Must be a Calgary thing, eh?

monsoon.png

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
At least then you'd have a decent chance of cheering for a winning team. I hear they tend to choke when it comes to the final rounds though.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
And now we lost Kipper as well. I'm switching to the Canucks :)

Not often you hear that from a Flames fan. But Canucks aren't doing too well either.

For those who live in Calgary, how are you doing since the floods? I know lots of places (depending if you were downtown or by the river) are still trying to bounce back. I'm from south interior BC, myself.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, you're a Canucks fan, lose two pre-season games in a row and let the hand wringing commence!

:tongue

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not too much into the hockey (gasp, a Canadian who doesn't like hockey?!) but you gotta represent the home team.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
1st frost of the season over here in Newfoundland last night -- almost time to start getting ready for hibernation.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
1st frost of the season over here in Newfoundland last night -- almost time to start getting ready for hibernation.

Gah. I'm not ready. We had a gorgeous weekend. Friday evening, to celebrate the weather, we ate what would probably be our last patio meal out. That should keep me going for MONTHS.

:)

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
I'd protoshop it to "CWDLH" and "At the Canadians Who Don't Like Hockey" meeting.

danceswolves.jpg

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
There is only one Canadian hockey team. Montreal Canadiens. Don't be fooled by imposters. (-;