Canajan, eh?

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Nova Scotia born and raised, now living in Newfoundland and Labrador. I say "eh" all the time!

Question for all you Canadian writers: do you submit your writing in Canada only or do you try the US market as well? From what I've read, it's not really necessary to get an agent in Canada, but you should in the US. Any thoughts on this?

Ann, my sincere advice is get an agent. I had a really bad experience with a Canadian press and those authors who had agents were able to get out of the situation in a hurry. You don't "need" an agent, but they sure as heck are worth their percentage.

My agent, for what it's worth, is in NYC.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Steven, thanks for the advice! I'm very new to the whole world of publishing.

If you end up going it alone, Ann, and approaching publishers on your own, just make sure you have someone look over the contract. Victoria S. at Writer Beware will take a look for free, and give you some feedback on her thoughts. She's looked at a couple contracts for me, and it's been invaluable. Also, there are several literary agents who are also lawyers and will review literary contracts for non-clients for a fee.

Just don't rush into anything, that's my advice.

Good luck. I hope to see you post some good news soon!

Cheers-

Ann-Marita

Registered
Reaction score
I've made a note of Victoria's name. Good tip!

My novel is nowhere near ready to send out (hopefully end of the year), but I am trying to learn what I can about the publishing business now in preparation.

How long did it take you to get your agent, if you don't mind my asking?

[email protected]

Registered
Reaction score
I think an agent is harder to get than a publisher. I live in Edmonton, AB and was burned by an agent many years ago here. I believe they aren't so necessary in Canada as they are in the US. I'm trying to get an agent right now for my second traditionally published book with Mockingbird Lane Press. Also have asked KG Books (I think that's the name of the press), they're a small press, too, and new.

Faye DC

Registered
Reaction score
Hello from Montreal (though I'm originally from Saskatoon). I'm new to AW, happy to see there are some other Canadians around.

Drachan or Steve, any tips on how to seek out a good agent in the Canadian market? How do you know who's reputable? Seems like most of the info online concerns publishers...

SharonPartington

Registered
Reaction score
Hello from Edmonton :)

It's sunny here for a change, although I'm told Calgary and points south are currently under water.

Sucks to be them! ;)

I know, I shouldn't say that - escpecially since my boyo is in the army was deployed to High River (aptly named as it turns out) to help in the relief effort ;) He has become one more "sand bag minion" ;)

I'm glad to be here, and excited to meet you all :D

Lemontree

Registered
Reaction score
Been a long time since I was there last, but I was born in Edmonton. Lived most of my life in Calgary. Moved to the US a decade ago, but I can still get my eh on.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Just discovered this thread...

I'm Willie, a Scotsman but resident in Catalina on the East Coast of Newfoundland since 2007

I'd primarily been published in the UK and US until recently, but I've been doing my bit to assimilate in the Canadian writing scene by selling stories to 5 of the EDGE publishing anthos and to a couple of the Innsmouth Free Press ones.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Hey, gang. I've probably posted here before, but I'm waving hello to my fellow Canadians who have recently joined this forum.

Canadian agents are a rare breed, and they're very picky. A lot of Canadian authors find just as much success with American agents (or Canadian agents who happen to live in the States).

I say query widely, but don't scattershoot. Query any agents who state they are interested in the type of book you write. They'll explore American and Canadian publishers.

Yes, there are some fantastic Canadian publishers with distribution to Chapters et al, and I'd love to get a response from them. Like any publisher, they are probably also inundated with a gazillion submissions!

ladyfyre

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Fellow Canadians,
I am relatively new to the forum, even though I joined a while ago. I’ve been lurking a bit. I am living in the London, Ontario area, but I am originally from Cobourg. I write romance and erotic romance and a few other genres occasionally. Hoping to meet some fellow writers here – it can be such a solitary existence being a writer.
Cheers!
Ladyfyre

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
No language/country thread in the International District ever dies...

MWAHAHAHAHahahaha... *cough*

:D

Ona Mission

A Bit Squirrelly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
onanewmission.wordpress.com
Hi all! I'm one of those strange Americans in Canada. Hubby is a lifetime anglo Quebecor who rattles off in French when he gets mad...which tends to be a lot up here :roll:

My last wip (unfinished) was set in the states but I used our area (gorgeous) as inspiration. Current wip is set back at home in the states but I wouldn't be surprised at all if some of here-home entered the story somewhere.

Going for a state-side agent once we're all polished, though. That's a longstanding plan. Nice to see such a mixed bag here.

Iskandar

Older but not always wiser
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dansilberman.ca
Hello from Calgary

Hi fellow Canucks. I joined this forum yesterday and my first book was released today.
I queried just about every Canadian publisher, with no success, before signing with a small US press.
I did not query agents but I did run the contract by a US intellectual property attorney ($300 well spent).

IskandarBookTitle.jpg

kclaw

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Wow, there are a lot of Canadians here. I'm in Vancouver.

I usually end up setting my WIPs in Canada without really thinking about it -- sometimes the setting is a bit ambiguous, I think (like "small town anywhere" or "Big shiny north american metropolis") but when it comes time to name cities/towns, they usually end up being Canadian ones.

I am too far away to from publication to think very seriously about Can vs. US publishers, but all the agents I have looked into on social media and am interested in are American.

LordGopu

Registered
Reaction score
I'm from Montreal. All I can say is there's no chance I'll ever look within this province for an agent/publisher. They're probably all French here.