Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 489101112131415161718192024 ... LastLast

Thread: Canajan, eh?

My rhymes are bottomless Hip-Hop-a-potamus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumplet View Post
    Calgary is also known for Spruce Meadows, an elite equestrian complex with world-class show jumping. I've never been, but I'd love to see it with my own eyes someday. Oh, yeah... the mountains, too.
    My cousin Sue shows her baby there.

I'd like to say in the spirit of true Canadianism that I just watched "Barney's Version," and am now inspired to read my first Richler. It was outstanding. Sorry it took me so long. I have a lot on my list.

I figure, if I take my citizenship test next April, there has to be at least one Richler question. I already know the lyrics to oodles of Tragically Hip songs, and can do pretty mean Stompin Tom and Chretien impressions, thanks to mah hunny, the mimic. So I should do OK.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin MelissaMD's Avatar
    Don't forget the two-step!
    Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.
    - William James

Twitter - mcmd30

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaMD View Post
    Can't really see the mountains in Calgary, ahha.. Head towards Banff.. Its breath-taking
    Oh, you can see them from Calgary, and they are impressive, but you have to live in the western part of the city. I see them every time I go for groceries. I've often wondered what the poor ol' pioneers thought when they came over a hill, seeing for the first time those massive peaks off in the distance: "Ah, f@*k it, we're building the homestead right here!".

Quote Originally Posted by J. Marks View Post
    Oh, you can see them from Calgary, and they are impressive, but you have to live in the western part of the city. I see them every time I go for groceries. I've often wondered what the poor ol' pioneers thought when they came over a hill, seeing for the first time those massive peaks off in the distance: "Ah, f@*k it, we're building the homestead right here!".
    I think I know where you're talking about!.. I found they were more impressive as you got closer :P however, having the Rockies as your horizon is pretty spectacular in itself!
    - William James

Twitter - mcmd30

practical experience, FTW dianeP's Avatar
    I was just passing through and thought I'd say hi, or bonjour.

Though I lived in the states for five years when I was young and originially learned American English, somehow "eh" still slipped in, not to mention a lot of French words that sometimes come to mind faster than English. Makes for some curious glances sometimes.

practical experience, FTW flapperphilosopher's Avatar
    Woohoo, I figured how to multi-quote!

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaMD View Post
    Checking in from Halifax, NS.. Originally Cape Breton
    Cool! I went to school at X and lived on the South Shore for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Marks View Post
    A fellow Canadian checking in here! I'm a Calgarian who absolutely hates--loathes--despises the Calgary Stampede but, unfortunately, it's what we're know for around the world.
    Woo, Calgary! I'm Calgarian too--not a fan of the Stampede either, but I loooove seeing mountains on the way to the grocery store! (because yes, yes you do. ).
    My (non-writing) blog: The Passion of Former Days, connecting to the people of the past through pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Hip-Hop-a-potamus View Post
    I'd like to say in the spirit of true Canadianism that I just watched "Barney's Version," and am now inspired to read my first Richler. It was outstanding. Sorry it took me so long. I have a lot on my list.
    I thought the book was much better than the movie

Quote Originally Posted by flapperphilosopher View Post
    Cool! I went to school at X and lived on the South Shore for a while.
    Nice!! I go to SMU! haha.. I know toooons of people from the South Shore too!
    - William James

Twitter - mcmd30

I USE Q'S INSTEQD OF Q'S layzer phish's Avatar
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know what 'Vico' is?
    W.I.P:

'Babel'--- A foreign planet post appocolyptic
    2,500 words. On hiatus for now!

'Heaven doesn't want me'--- A sort of cliche psychological horror dealing with a man slowly losing his grasp on reality
    5500 words in only one week

Quote Originally Posted by LJD View Post
    I thought the book was much better than the movie
    Good! Then I have an extra special experience waiting for me.

little orphan anarchist Raventongue's Avatar
    Oh hi guys. Canadian newbie here. I'm awfully happy to see this thread. As nice as some of the people are on the predominantly American forums I used to frequent, they often don't seem to notice just how American they are; it's easy to start feeling like an outsider after a while.

crazy spec fic writer L M Ashton's Avatar

I figure, if I take my citizenship test next April, there has to be at least one Richler question. I already know the lyrics to oodles of Tragically Hip songs, and can do pretty mean Stompin Tom and Chretien impressions, thanks to mah hunny, the mimic. So I should do OK.

You know about Stompin' Tom? I thought it was only old people. You know, my generation or older, who'd heard of him. He hasn't been around in a long time, has he? Oops, just checked Wikipedia, and he took a break from 1978 to 1988. No wonder I thought he was retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Raventongue View Post
    Oh hi guys. Canadian newbie here. I'm awfully happy to see this thread. As nice as some of the people are on the predominantly American forums I used to frequent, they often don't seem to notice just how American they are; it's easy to start feeling like an outsider after a while.
    Yes, that would be a complaint that many non-USAians have.

Quote Originally Posted by L M Ashton View Post
    Yes, that would be a complaint that many non-USAians have.
    USAians! Now there's one I haven't heard. I'm more used to seeing us referred to us "Non-USers"... personally I'd really rather see someone spend the extra four seconds to type "those outside the US"

writing for kids and teens Cassidy's Avatar
    Oh hi guys. Canadian newbie here. I'm awfully happy to see this thread.
    Hi and welcome. I'm on the island off the other coast ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by L M Ashton View Post
    You know about Stompin' Tom? I thought it was only old people. You know, my generation or older, who'd heard of him. He hasn't been around in a long time, has he? Oops, just checked Wikipedia, and he took a break from 1978 to 1988. No wonder I thought he was retired.
    My husband (2 years younger than me) is a fan and saw him live a few years ago. He taught me about "Bud the Spud" and "Little WaWa" and let me know that the proper pronunciation is "pa-day-do" for the brown-skinned vegetables.

YOUR generation? I thought we were about the same age. That would make it OUR generation.

I'm just a float on a bee... KTC's Avatar
    The good ole hockey game, it's the best game you can name and the best game you can name is the good ole hockey game.

That's the Canadian anthem, isn't it???

Good ole Stompin Tom.

I was in Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal and Miramichi over the last 3 months. I live just east of Toronto...and I'm in Toronto a few times a week.

Yeah. I. Am. Canadian.
    Click on the cover images below to go to my Amazon page:

I blog

I Tweet

"I'll have no truck with plots." ~ Sheldon Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
    Hi and welcome. I'm on the island off the other coast ;-)
    Bet it's warmer there than here!

It's freaking snowing here. Again.

I LONG for my garden. I press my face against the window and gaze lovingly at it, buried under all that white shit.

Sigh.

I LONG for my garden. I press my face against the window and gaze lovingly at it, buried under all that white shit.
    Usually I'd say "I know the feeling!" but this year? It's that accursed rain again. Warm torrential rain all summer, light rain all autumn, nasty cold rain all winter...

Usually I'd say "I know the feeling!" but this year? It's that accursed rain again. Warm torrential rain all summer, light rain all autumn, nasty cold rain all winter...
    That was us last summer. From May through June. Constantly. And in addition to the SCADS of snow we'd had during winter it was Mosquito Paradise here (more than usual). Summer was hellish.

My husband (2 years younger than me) is a fan and saw him live a few years ago. He taught me about "Bud the Spud" and "Little WaWa" and let me know that the proper pronunciation is "pa-day-do" for the brown-skinned vegetables.

YOUR generation? I thought we were about the same age. That would make it OUR generation.
    What can I say? I'm feeling old. You know, bifocals, cataracts, joint problems, can't walk and creak when I do, white roots... :P

And... Please don't hate me. I haven't seen snow in nine years...

Aw, how could I hate you? The insects are probably terrible...
    Tribal Prophet Bird!
    ~~~
    Current WIP set (weird futuristic literary military scifi): Farewell Etcetera, Space Witches, Complicity, Star Soldier. Ideas waiting to be worked on: 7.

NaNo & Camp NaNo username: Cobalt Cyborg.....

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 489101112131415161718192024 ... LastLast