Canajan, eh?

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I haven't really seen much of the rest of the mall (just the little wing where we meet), but it's definitely still a hole. Was there a library when you were there?

There's massive Wal-Mart on the north side now, and a Keg in the parking lot, along with a Timmy's and a Quizno's (so those would be some of the newer additions), but I'm a little nervous about exploring too much. It is definitely still iffy around there.
That was so long ago I don't remember if there was a library or not. There probably was. I do remember, though, one outlet in the food court that sold perogies with sour cream and fried mushrooms and onions. That was so good! I also remember that there were some renovations going on, so our store was constantly in need of dusting.

Sad that it's still a hole.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of the malls are still holes. Meadowlark and Northgate pretty much stopped being malls and are now focused on professional services (doctors and dentists.)

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Southgate (@ 111th St. and Whitemud) seems to be where all the action is these days. They just opened a Crate and Barrel and a super-snooty Restoration hardware that is NOTHING like the ones we had in the states. The salesperson I spoke to said it's a "gallery concept."

"Well, you can tell the management it sucks," I said. I was used to the bright stores, and all the cool, quirky stuff they used to carry-- little books on BBQing with 1950s style illustrations, interesting martini sets, cool garden doo-dads, nifty bathroom fixtures...now they're very dark, like a cave, with $1500 tables, and very little that's affordable unless you're a neurosurgeon or a corrupt banker. Grrr...

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Southgate (@ 111th St. and Whitemud) seems to be where all the action is these days. They just opened a Crate and Barrel and a super-snooty Restoration hardware that is NOTHING like the ones we had in the states. The salesperson I spoke to said it's a "gallery concept."

"Well, you can tell the management it sucks," I said. I was used to the bright stores, and all the cool, quirky stuff they used to carry-- little books on BBQing with 1950s style illustrations, interesting martini sets, cool garden doo-dads, nifty bathroom fixtures...now they're very dark, like a cave, with $1500 tables, and very little that's affordable unless you're a neurosurgeon or a corrupt banker. Grrr...

Or an oil field worker who needs a spot to place his boots.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Back in my day, the place to be was West Edmonton Mall. I used to work there - at a couple of retail outlets as well as at the hotel and then in the accounting department for the hotel which is in an office on the fourth floor.

Back then, Southgate was a bit of a hole as well. :)

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Southgate's renewal has much to do with the expansion of the LRT to there.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Southgate's renewal has much to do with the expansion of the LRT to there.

Yep.

I still can't stand going in because of all the high schoolers from the HS just south of Whitemud. Anyone who knows me can tell you I'm not a kid person. Reason #1 not to visit.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
So I take it you avoid WEM because of the kids from JP, Bonnie Doon because of the kids from Wagner, and Kingsway because of the kids from St. Joe's and Vic? Leaving you with only City Centre?

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
So I take it you avoid WEM because of the kids from JP, Bonnie Doon because of the kids from Wagner, and Kingsway because of the kids from St. Joe's and Vic? Leaving you with only City Centre?

Not as much of a problem with them at WEM because I mainly go in one wing (Chapter's, L'Occident en Provence, and a couple of restaurants), and I've mainly done it on weekdays or early Saturday mornings. Kingsway isn't bad. Go there all the time. Never go to Bonnie Doon. Not big on City Centre either. Just don't really go there much.

If I did visit Southgate, I had to do it on my way home from work (when I worked down in Terwillegar. I don't anymore), which was right around 3:30, when school let out.

Sorry, just don't like kids. It's why I don't have any.

M.Charles

On Sub
Registered
Reaction score
Website
notastepfordlife.com
Capilano Mall? I used to work there in the early 1990s at Blacks Photography. Back then, Capilano Mall was a hole. Old, unrenovated, definitely not The Place to go shopping, if you know what I mean. Has it been improved since then?

I'm so excited for you that you have a writer's group there. DomesticImp, so sad it's too far for you. :(

ETA: Just realized I'm so severely aging myself. :D
I talked to dh, and I'll get him to give me a ride sometime...when I buckle down and actually feel like I'm accomplishing something to deserve to participate, LOL
Sorry, Imp. We've got some super nice people in the group. :(
If you don't mind, I'll PM you and find out the details
Bus Routes: Connect to downtown and take the 1 by the Milner (downtown) Library. If you live in the Eaux Claire area, walk to catch the 9 on 97th Street to downtown. If you live in the Clareview area, walk to catch the train at Clareview Station. If you live in the Castledowns area, walk to the Castledowns station and catch the 16, 151 or the 162 to downtown.
B/c of my disability, public transit is out. I have a severe chronic pain disability, and simply getting to and from the bus stop is enough to have pain climbing...let alone the motion of the bus itself, being bumped into, etc. :(
A lot of the malls are still holes. Meadowlark and Northgate pretty much stopped being malls and are now focused on professional services (doctors and dentists.)
I live around the corner from Northgate. Yup, it's a pit.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I talked to dh, and I'll get him to give me a ride sometime...when I buckle down and actually feel like I'm accomplishing something to deserve to participate, LOL

If you don't mind, I'll PM you and find out the details

B/c of my disability, public transit is out. I have a severe chronic pain disability, and simply getting to and from the bus stop is enough to have pain climbing...let alone the motion of the bus itself, being bumped into, etc. :(

I live around the corner from Northgate. Yup, it's a pit.

I responded to your PM, imp. I hope the pain won't be a problem at the meetings. We are a little crowded lately with lots of new additions, and the meetings are 2 hours, so I hope that wouldn't be too much pain for you, sitting so long. If it is, I totally understand!

HH

M.Charles

On Sub
Registered
Reaction score
Website
notastepfordlife.com
I responded to your PM, imp. I hope the pain won't be a problem at the meetings. We are a little crowded lately with lots of new additions, and the meetings are 2 hours, so I hope that wouldn't be too much pain for you, sitting so long. If it is, I totally understand!

HH
Unfortunately, there's no way to predict or prevent pain flares...even if I do everything 'right', it can still happen.

Generally speaking, if I can avoid being bumped into (it's my rt arm, shoulder-finger tips that's the issue) or brushed up against on my rt side, and don't stay on my feet for long (standing and walking causes my arm to feel like it's going to rip out of the socket) and stay warm, its the best I can do to avoid a flare up. Which is why I might be wearing a fuzzy mitten inside!

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there's no way to predict or prevent pain flares...even if I do everything 'right', it can still happen.

Generally speaking, if I can avoid being bumped into (it's my rt arm, shoulder-finger tips that's the issue) or brushed up against on my rt side, and don't stay on my feet for long (standing and walking causes my arm to feel like it's going to rip out of the socket) and stay warm, its the best I can do to avoid a flare up. Which is why I might be wearing a fuzzy mitten inside!

No worries!

I have MS, so it's impossible to predict when I'll feel extra tired or crappy too. Sometimes I have to miss meetings when I'm just not up to it.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

Even DATS?

Wordvine

Registered
Reaction score
Just checking in as another Canadian, though I'm from Montreal which is a bit more east coast than some.

Actually out of the country at the moment, and returning home after two years abroad very shortly! Excited for poutine and La Bell Pro, though the weather is not something I've missed. : )

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Just checking in as another Canadian, though I'm from Montreal which is a bit more east coast than some.

Actually out of the country at the moment, and returning home after two years abroad very shortly! Excited for poutine and La Bell Pro, though the weather is not something I've missed. : )

Thanks, Laurie. Welcome, Wordvine! :)

M.Charles

On Sub
Registered
Reaction score
Website
notastepfordlife.com
Even DATS?
I'm not necc considered mobility impared, since I can walk w/out assistance.
Yeah, I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, which no one has ever heard of, but which causes me chronic pain and chronic illness. I also can't predict how I'll feel day by day or even minute by minute necessarily. I feel for you, DomesticImp and HipHopAPotamus.
I have heard of it. My best friend in high school had it...in fact, she has appearances in medical texts.

M.Charles

On Sub
Registered
Reaction score
Website
notastepfordlife.com
DomesticImp, you are the exception. :D Sorry for your friend. For her to appear in medical textbooks, she must be rather severe. That's never a good thing. :(
I don't know if she's particularily severe, or simply one of the first cases to be identified in Canada.

The med texts were from when she was a kid, if I remember correctly.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Ah, got it. I was identified back in 1986, but, long story there, not with any doctor who could help me understand what it meant. As far as the neurologist told me, it caused my migraines, my bendyness, and my father's aneurysms, nothing more. Oh, how wrong that was. EDS affects absolutely everything for me, and knowing that, I could have had much better treatment for so many health problems caused by it. I wish I'd known that, but back then, there was no easy way to research stuff like there is now.

M.Charles

On Sub
Registered
Reaction score
Website
notastepfordlife.com
Ah, got it. I was identified back in 1986, but, long story there, not with any doctor who could help me understand what it meant. As far as the neurologist told me, it caused my migraines, my bendyness, and my father's aneurysms, nothing more. Oh, how wrong that was. EDS affects absolutely everything for me, and knowing that, I could have had much better treatment for so many health problems caused by it. I wish I'd known that, but back then, there was no easy way to research stuff like there is now.
Yeah, she was born in the early 70s, and I think her Dx was pretty early on. I met her in 90? 91?

Neither of her parents had it.

Isilya

Rogues, thieves, and knaves abound
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Checking in as another Canadian. I'm currently in Ontario but I'm originally from Nova Scotia.

And for the sake of a time honored Canadian tradition, 'How's the weather?"

:D