Canajan, eh?

Sea Witch

Stirring the word cauldron
Registered
Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Sea Witch, where did you live in the states? Obviously, as my quote says, I'm a Texan originally. My hubby's from Wabamun, so that's how we ended up here in Alberta.

He did 10 years purgatory down there by marrying me, but we decided that was enough and headed north. We're staying put now (I'd really like to be in another province, but I'm kind of stuck here due to his family connections).

Hey Hip-Hop-a-potamus I was born and raised in Louisiana. Lived also a few years in FL, went to univ. in Nashville, a few years in NYC, a few years in northern NJ....etc. etc. etc. ;o) Did 20 years in Calgary and now 2 years on the Island. I write in American English. Never did take to the Can spellings.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Hip-Hop-a-potamus I was born and raised in Louisiana. Lived also a few years in FL, went to univ. in Nashville, a few years in NYC, a few years in northern NJ....etc. etc. etc. ;o) Did 20 years in Calgary and now 2 years on the Island. I write in American English. Never did take to the Can spellings.

Awesome. We'll have to have a beer sometime. I was actually born in Tennessee, but don't remember it. From there, we went to Virginia (I was only 4), and then to Texas.

The hubby and I spent 2 years in Milwaukee before we moved up here. I really like Calgary. He lived there for quite a few years before we met and was living there when we were a'courtin' (via the internet and long distance and visits back and forth).

We're gonna be on the island for a week or so this summer to visit with all my 3rd cousins (I'm working on a genealogy of my dad's side of the family). :)

Sea Witch

Stirring the word cauldron
Registered
Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Absolutely Hip-Hop-a-potamus. Send me a PM or an email when your trip is getting close. Don't know where you'll be but I'm in the Comox Valley near the Air Force Base.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely Hip-Hop-a-potamus. Send me a PM or an email when your trip is getting close. Don't know where you'll be but I'm in the Comox Valley near the Air Force Base.

May have time on the 16th or 17th of July. We want to squeeze in lots of sightseeing (my first trip there! Yay!), plus I need time at the archives and almost a whole day for our gathering with the cousins. We're going to be in Victoria the whole time, so not sure if that works for you. But it would be nice to meet some AWers in person for a change!

sailor

still new
Registered
Reaction score
... We want to squeeze in lots of sightseeing (my first trip there! Yay!), plus I need time at the archives and almost a whole day for our gathering with the cousins. ...

There is lots to see. Butchart Gardens, the buskers around the inner harbour, Royal BC Museum amongst others. There is always 'tea at the Empress'. Vibrant Victoria has a forum that has lots of info on entertainment, restaurants, etc. Also, a section of photos including some from the 20's, 30's and up, as well as aerial views of the city and surrounding area.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
There is lots to see. Butchart Gardens, the buskers around the inner harbour, Royal BC Museum amongst others. There is always 'tea at the Empress'. Vibrant Victoria has a forum that has lots of info on entertainment, restaurants, etc. Also, a section of photos including some from the 20's, 30's and up, as well as aerial views of the city and surrounding area.

Oh, don't worry. They're all on the agenda. I start planning my trips over a year in advance, and have booklets from the visitors bureau too, in addition to oodles of research I've done online. I treat it like a research opportunity too. Never can tell when I might want to set a book someplace, so I get as many sources as I can to compare. :D

sailor

still new
Registered
Reaction score
When I was in the navy there was an expression sometimes referred to as the 5 P's:

Preparation & Planning Preclude Poor Performance

Enjoy your visit and I hope that you have a great time.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
When I was in the navy there was an expression sometimes referred to as the 5 P's:

Preparation & Planning Preclude Poor Performance

Enjoy your visit and I hope that you have a great time.

Thanks sailor! You can tell from that that my dad was in the (admittedly American) Air Force. :)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Canadian expat checking in. I moved to Japan many years back and never left. Married a very charming native and have been in love for almost eighteen years. Two children whom I love dearly. I write at night when my schedule allows and managed to get two e-books out into cyberspace last year. This year, my target is to go mainstream as well as do the cyber route.

Elki

Registered
Reaction score
just want to say G'Day. I'm married to a Canuk. Just adore him. hoping to visit Canada sometime this year :)

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Hey, just found this thread. Another Vancouver Islander, born in Vancouver, lived up and down BC mostly.
I write with old-fashioned British spelling, having trained myself into it while working on a Regency vampire story.

I've never said 'eh', and don't say 'aboot' - aren't those Eastern traits? I do sometimes say 'yea big' or 'yea long', though.

-Barbara

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Another Candian checking in!

Born in 'Tarrana', currently living in the Land of Frozen Eyelashes, aka Edmonton, AB

Hey Dom. Edmonton here too.

We have an awesome writers' group here in town that meets at Capilano Mall the 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month.

:)

M.Charles

On Sub
Registered
Reaction score
Website
notastepfordlife.com
Hey Dom. Edmonton here too.

We have an awesome writers' group here in town that meets at Capilano Mall the 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month.

:)
Just call me 'Imp', LOL! Dom...I start craving leather Wonder Woman boots, a whip, and...yeah, best to stop there. LOL!

Capilano mall...Would help if I'm not so geographically challenged...*goes off to ask dh where that is*

Ugh, I was hoping it was near me. I'm in the North End, so unfortunately not...and I don't drive.:cry:

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Capilano Mall? I used to work there in the early 1990s at Blacks Photography. Back then, Capilano Mall was a hole. Old, unrenovated, definitely not The Place to go shopping, if you know what I mean. Has it been improved since then?

I'm so excited for you that you have a writer's group there. DomesticImp, so sad it's too far for you. :(

ETA: Just realized I'm so severely aging myself. :D

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Capilano Mall? I used to work there in the early 1990s at Blacks Photography. Back then, Capilano Mall was a hole. Old, unrenovated, definitely not The Place to go shopping, if you know what I mean. Has it been improved since then?

I'm so excited for you that you have a writer's group there. DomesticImp, so sad it's too far for you. :(

ETA: Just realized I'm so severely aging myself. :D

I haven't really seen much of the rest of the mall (just the little wing where we meet), but it's definitely still a hole. Was there a library when you were there?

There's massive Wal-Mart on the north side now, and a Keg in the parking lot, along with a Timmy's and a Quizno's (so those would be some of the newer additions), but I'm a little nervous about exploring too much. It is definitely still iffy around there.

Sorry, Imp. We've got some super nice people in the group. :(

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Just call me 'Imp', LOL! Dom...I start craving leather Wonder Woman boots, a whip, and...yeah, best to stop there. LOL!

Capilano mall...Would help if I'm not so geographically challenged...*goes off to ask dh where that is*

Ugh, I was hoping it was near me. I'm in the North End, so unfortunately not...and I don't drive.:cry:

Bus Routes: Connect to downtown and take the 1 by the Milner (downtown) Library. If you live in the Eaux Claire area, walk to catch the 9 on 97th Street to downtown. If you live in the Clareview area, walk to catch the train at Clareview Station. If you live in the Castledowns area, walk to the Castledowns station and catch the 16, 151 or the 162 to downtown.

Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
May have time on the 16th or 17th of July. We want to squeeze in lots of sightseeing (my first trip there! Yay!), plus I need time at the archives and almost a whole day for our gathering with the cousins. We're going to be in Victoria the whole time...
Another suggestion: The butterfly park. It's inexpensive and really quite lovely. It's an indoor tropical garden with, yes, a lot of butterflies, but also many tropical birds.

At the exit, they have a big mirror so you can check yourself over for hitchhiking butterflies.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Another suggestion: The butterfly park. It's inexpensive and really quite lovely. It's an indoor tropical garden with, yes, a lot of butterflies, but also many tropical birds.

At the exit, they have a big mirror so you can check yourself over for hitchhiking butterflies.

Have to see how much we can squeeze in! Hoping I get a job soon, since we already have the B & B in Victoria booked...
:/