Canajan, eh?

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Calgary is also known for Spruce Meadows, an elite equestrian complex with world-class show jumping. I've never been, but I'd love to see it with my own eyes someday. Oh, yeah... the mountains, too.

My cousin Sue shows her baby there.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to say in the spirit of true Canadianism that I just watched "Barney's Version," and am now inspired to read my first Richler. It was outstanding. Sorry it took me so long. I have a lot on my list.

I figure, if I take my citizenship test next April, there has to be at least one Richler question. I already know the lyrics to oodles of Tragically Hip songs, and can do pretty mean Stompin Tom and Chretien impressions, thanks to mah hunny, the mimic. So I should do OK.

:D

Katana

On the edge...
Registered
Reaction score
Can't really see the mountains in Calgary, ahha.. Head towards Banff.. Its breath-taking
Oh, you can see them from Calgary, and they are impressive, but you have to live in the western part of the city. I see them every time I go for groceries. I've often wondered what the poor ol' pioneers thought when they came over a hill, seeing for the first time those massive peaks off in the distance: "Ah, f@*k it, we're building the homestead right here!". :tongue

MelissaMD

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, you can see them from Calgary, and they are impressive, but you have to live in the western part of the city. I see them every time I go for groceries. I've often wondered what the poor ol' pioneers thought when they came over a hill, seeing for the first time those massive peaks off in the distance: "Ah, f@*k it, we're building the homestead right here!". :tongue

I think I know where you're talking about!.. I found they were more impressive as you got closer :p however, having the Rockies as your horizon is pretty spectacular in itself!

dianeP

Registered
Reaction score
I was just passing through and thought I'd say hi, or bonjour.

Though I lived in the states for five years when I was young and originially learned American English, somehow "eh" still slipped in, not to mention a lot of French words that sometimes come to mind faster than English. Makes for some curious glances sometimes.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
Woohoo, I figured how to multi-quote!

Checking in from Halifax, NS.. Originally Cape Breton

Cool! I went to school at X and lived on the South Shore for a while. :)

A fellow Canadian checking in here! I'm a Calgarian who absolutely hates--loathes--despises the Calgary Stampede but, unfortunately, it's what we're know for around the world.

Woo, Calgary! I'm Calgarian too--not a fan of the Stampede either, but I loooove seeing mountains on the way to the grocery store! (because yes, yes you do. :) ).

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to say in the spirit of true Canadianism that I just watched "Barney's Version," and am now inspired to read my first Richler. It was outstanding. Sorry it took me so long. I have a lot on my list.

I thought the book was much better than the movie :)

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Oh hi guys. Canadian newbie here. I'm awfully happy to see this thread. As nice as some of the people are on the predominantly American forums I used to frequent, they often don't seem to notice just how American they are; it's easy to start feeling like an outsider after a while.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com

I figure, if I take my citizenship test next April, there has to be at least one Richler question. I already know the lyrics to oodles of Tragically Hip songs, and can do pretty mean Stompin Tom and Chretien impressions, thanks to mah hunny, the mimic. So I should do OK.

:D
You know about Stompin' Tom? I thought it was only old people. You know, my generation or older, who'd heard of him. He hasn't been around in a long time, has he? Oops, just checked Wikipedia, and he took a break from 1978 to 1988. No wonder I thought he was retired.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Oh hi guys. Canadian newbie here. I'm awfully happy to see this thread. As nice as some of the people are on the predominantly American forums I used to frequent, they often don't seem to notice just how American they are; it's easy to start feeling like an outsider after a while.
Yes, that would be a complaint that many non-USAians have. :)

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, that would be a complaint that many non-USAians have. :)

USAians! Now there's one I haven't heard. I'm more used to seeing us referred to us "Non-USers"... personally I'd really rather see someone spend the extra four seconds to type "those outside the US" :tongue

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
You know about Stompin' Tom? I thought it was only old people. You know, my generation or older, who'd heard of him. He hasn't been around in a long time, has he? Oops, just checked Wikipedia, and he took a break from 1978 to 1988. No wonder I thought he was retired.

My husband (2 years younger than me) is a fan and saw him live a few years ago. He taught me about "Bud the Spud" and "Little WaWa" and let me know that the proper pronunciation is "pa-day-do" for the brown-skinned vegetables.

YOUR generation? I thought we were about the same age. That would make it OUR generation. :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
The good ole hockey game, it's the best game you can name and the best game you can name is the good ole hockey game.

That's the Canadian anthem, isn't it???

Good ole Stompin Tom.

I was in Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal and Miramichi over the last 3 months. I live just east of Toronto...and I'm in Toronto a few times a week.

Yeah. I. Am. Canadian.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
It's freaking snowing here. Again.

I LONG for my garden. I press my face against the window and gaze lovingly at it, buried under all that white shit.

Sigh.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
I LONG for my garden. I press my face against the window and gaze lovingly at it, buried under all that white shit.

Usually I'd say "I know the feeling!" but this year? It's that accursed rain again. Warm torrential rain all summer, light rain all autumn, nasty cold rain all winter...

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Usually I'd say "I know the feeling!" but this year? It's that accursed rain again. Warm torrential rain all summer, light rain all autumn, nasty cold rain all winter...

That was us last summer. From May through June. Constantly. And in addition to the SCADS of snow we'd had during winter it was Mosquito Paradise here (more than usual). Summer was hellish.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
My husband (2 years younger than me) is a fan and saw him live a few years ago. He taught me about "Bud the Spud" and "Little WaWa" and let me know that the proper pronunciation is "pa-day-do" for the brown-skinned vegetables.

YOUR generation? I thought we were about the same age. That would make it OUR generation. :)
What can I say? I'm feeling old. You know, bifocals, cataracts, joint problems, can't walk and creak when I do, white roots... :p