Sherlock [BBC's contemporary adaptation]

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think they will play with the ambiguity and have it both ways. But I would hope that in a post-Torchwood age it wouldn't be a big deal if they did go all the way.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Ah, but Watson marries at least once...
They may not explore that in this series, or they may go completely in a different way with it, or this Watson may find he can have it all.

Whatever they do, I am completely hooked on this.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
It's pretty much the only thing they can do to that pairing that will guarantee that I'll never watch it again.
Dang, I wish I could adopt a reciprocal criteria for the shows I would watch (as in, same-sex pairing is pretty much the only thing they can do that will guarantee that I will watch it again)--but heck, what would I do with all my free time?
Why do people always want to take close same-sex friendships and immediately throw sex into them? I just don't get it. What's wrong with just being friends? (or is this a different thread?)
Other than taking exception to the word always I get your point. But a logical follow up question might be: Why do people want to take close opposite-sex friendships and immediately throw sex into them--at least on tv? And I'm interested in the fact that despite all the other changes to the Holmes mythology, this is where you choose to draw your line in the sand. But, yeah, that's a completely different thread. (Psst!--Meet me there!)

As childer stated, they joked with the perception but mainly to emphasize again and again that it was not the case.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dang, I wish I could adopt a reciprocal criteria for the shows I would watch (as in, same-sex pairing is pretty much the only thing they can do that will guarantee that I will watch it again)--but heck, what would I do with all my free time?

Write a book? ;)

Other than taking exception to the word always I get your point. But a logical follow up question might be: Why do people want to take close opposite-sex friendships and immediately throw sex into them--at least on tv? And I'm interested in the fact that despite all the other changes to the Holmes mythology, this is where you choose to draw your line in the sand.

I'll give you the exception, since it was an emotional reaction. It just seems that the few movies/TV things I really enjoy always seem to get slashed--but I don't enjoy that many of them, so it almost seems personal after a decade or so of repeat "offenses".

Renee Collins

Plotting . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
midnightmeditations.blogspot.com
LOVE THIS SHOW!

Also, in regards to Holmes and Watson as a couple, I wondered during that scene in the restaurant, if they would go there. I wouldn't have really minded. It's been done. (The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, 1970) But I actually like the idea of Holmes as basically asexual. "Married to his work," as he said.

Either way, though, I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment!!

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not with you on that. It's pretty much the only thing they can do to that pairing that will guarantee that I'll never watch it again. Not that my one viewer count will matter, but, frankly, I'm just not into slash.

Why do people always want to take close same-sex friendships and immediately throw sex into them? I just don't get it. What's wrong with just being friends? (or is this a different thread?)

As an LGBT viewer, I'd like to see characters and storylines that reflect my life - I don't think that's unreasonable. But I never do. Ever. A show can have a cast of dozens, even hundreds, and all will be straight. I could watch a dozen shows and none would feature an LGBT character of any importance. I honestly can't think of a single LGBT character or pairing on any show that I currently watch. I'm forced to try and interpret same-sex friendships as having LGBT subtext, because there just is no actual text anywhere. It's pretty sad, to be honest. Are we LGBT people really so other that we have to be hidden away where straight folks can't see us? :(

edit: Let me put this another way. Imagine that TV audiences are majority LGBT. 99% of all TV shows you watch are exclusively LGBT. All the characters are LGBT. All the relationships are LGBT. The shows will go to absurd lengths to ensure that the majority LGBT audience never has to see any heterosexual content. (This is partly a function of the fact that straight TV writers have to only write about LGBT characters, otherwise they're accused of having a "straight agenda".)

As a straight viewer, you might naturally see hints of opposite-sex attraction between characters, but if you ever mention it or God forbid the show ever acknowledges it, LGBT viewers will complain that you're ruining the show. Because straight romance is icky, and nice normal LGBT viewers don't want that stuff shoved under their noses on TV. LGBT viewers will actively stop watching a show and start complaining about it if it doesn't stay pure.

I suggest that you might find that situation somewhat frustrating and upsetting. :tongue

(Of course, this parallel isn't really complete unless you're socially and legally persecuted for being straight, and you live in absolute terror of your family finding out that you're straight, and you can't hold hands with your opposite-sex partner on the street, and you don't dare even post about it on Facebook in case your employer googles you, and generally you feel like society is stamping on your head at every opportunity.)

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Everything Para said is true.

Also, we've spent about two hundred years waiting for Holmes to just say that he loves Watson, the anti-social goof.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
At the risk of :deadhorse (and can I just mention how much I love this emo?):

Before we dismiss the idea, let's look at all the movies that were improved by changing the characters' from straight to gay:

Fried Green Tomatoes
Troy (vs., say Homer's Illiad)
The Children's Hour (vs. the stageplay)
The Martian Child (one of my all-time favorite examples!)
The 19th Wife (a current one)

Hey! Wait a minute... I think I got that backward. Those movies didn't change straight characters into homosexuals... Dang! Now I have to start all over. Okay, a list of movies that turned straight characters gay:

Sorry, can't think of one.:Shrug:

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Grrrr only three episodes. Now I remember, again, why British shows suck for the same reason they rule. Short series. Really, really short series. On the upside, the next season will air next fall. *sigh* I guess all I have to fill in that long space is Being Human and Torchwood. Neither of which will air till next year I think. I should stop watching TV all together and save myself this agony.

I loved everything they did with this series. I'm not a great Holmes aficionado. I loved the Jeremy Brett series but didn't read many of the stories, saw a part of one of the Basil Rathbone movies and detested it. So maybe I came into this with different expectations. Because I LOVED it. I thought it was close to perfect.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It was great. But watching the 5th series of Dr Who at the same time is very jarring. There are numerous close similarities in the characterisation, dialogue etc.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I enjoyed the second episode better than the first. I'd prefer it if Watson wasn't quite such a bungler however.

Well, do remember that he's just starting in this business and Holmes doesn't run a very military-style operation. ;) By the next series/season, he could be an old pro.

I loved everything they did with this series. I'm not a great Holmes aficionado. I loved the Jeremy Brett series but didn't read many of the stories, saw a part of one of the Basil Rathbone movies and detested it. So maybe I came into this with different expectations. Because I LOVED it. I thought it was close to perfect.

Jeremy Brett is a fantastic Holmes and that interpretation was very close to the original, so I came to this one with high expectations. I still LOVE it. It's great. Holmes and technology--natch. It's fantastic.

My hardest thing to grasp is that Benedict Cumberbatch is going to play Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit movie.

It was great. But watching the 5th series of Dr Who at the same time is very jarring. There are numerous close similarities in the characterisation, dialogue etc.

Then I'm ahead of the game--I've never watched the newest version of Who. ;)

nevada

Registered
Reaction score

apparently matt smith auditioned for Watson, didn't get it and was then invited by MOffat to audition for Doctor Who. It's a small world.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen both eps (as well as all the Jeremy Bretts, the Basil Rathbones, and some other stray old time versions). I liked them very much. One wonders why they would go through all the expense etc of setting up production to only do 3 eps.

In a similar vein, I'm waiting anxiously to see if there will be more Inspector Lewis. I love the by play between him and his cheeky Sgt.

MM

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Cumberpatch also seriously considered going for Dr Who. I am not convinced the two shows have fully separate identities.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
More episodes have ben approved. The local ratings pretty much guaranteed that and I bet the US audience was good too. I do wonder that it showed on PBS not BBC America.

schadenfreude

good with salt
Registered
Reaction score
My hardest thing to grasp is that Benedict Cumberbatch is going to play Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit movie.

Oh, no no no.

Martin Freeman is playing Bilbo.

As much as I love Benedict, he should never play a hobbit.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
***** Wife and I love it.

We get short-changed on our PBS channels. Regarding Inspector Lewis, we might see 1/4 to 1/2 of a season's 10-12 episodes. In many instances, we may miss whole seasons of Masterpiece mysteries.

ChronicSelfEditor

F.K.A. NolaBlue
Registered
Reaction score
If you are in the US, the episodes are airing on PBS and BBCA. I was talking to my anti-modern-Sherlock-Holmes friend last week and she said another friend of hers has viewed it on BBCA. It's also viewable on PBS's website along with some interesting interviews with the directors and cast.

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
Loved Sherlock :)