Sherlock [BBC's contemporary adaptation]

Jupie

Registered
Reaction score
I quite enjoyed the latest series but I also think it had the most flaws. I felt the same about series 3 as well. My problem is they're getting too big for their boots by trying to be self-referential all the time and clever and yet falling short because of it. They become too far fetched and sometimes ridiculous to the point that it becomes convoluted. The last episode is a fine example of this -- they didn't really explain anything and I was left wondering what had happened. They did this with Sherlock's supposed death as well. Why, for instance, did Sherlock's sister break out of prison only to go back in voluntarily? Why didn't she actually kill John? What was the point of her the whole time? I didn't like the whole James Bond feel either. But I still found the episode entertaining and as always I like the humour...plus I did like the focus on Mycroft too. For me the second episode was the best one, despite being cheesy and again ridiculous at times. Toby Jones played the villain really well and I must admit I liked the dark humour, especially at the end when he's confessing and the way he acts. Overall, always worth a watch but some sloppy writing.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
FINALLY got to see series 4. Emotional Sherlock, and emotion-adjacent Mycroft? Wasn't expecting that. Wasn't expecting Toby Jones to own a villain role, either, but DUDE...

I really liked it, though I hated to see Mary go. (I did like how they kept her around as Watson's mind to show how observant he really is.)

The councilwoman attempting to flirt with Mycroft was pretty funny to me, too.

This is probably going to sound petty, but the thing that bugs me most is that while I was watching The Last Problem, I couldn't figure out why Sherlock didn't notice the lack of reflection in the glass on his sister's cell. Security glass isn't completely clear; he'd see the difference. I also wish they'd done more with Molly, but it is what it is.