Newspaper Writing

Fatal Serenity

Eccentric to the core.
Registered
Reaction score
I've been focusing on freelance writing for magazines. But I have several questions about writing for newspapers:

First, do newspapers ususally work with freelancers? (I'm assuming the answer here is "yes".)

Do editors for newspapers prefer queries where they can assign articles or (due to the more strict deadlines) would they rather recieve assignments on spec?

Is dealing with newspapers pretty much the same as dealing with magazines? What are the major differences?

P.S. I couldn't find another thread on this topic, so if anyone knows of one, please let me know.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, newspapers work with freelancers and probably need them even more than before with staffs being cut back. It helps to be eager, but it's better if you're good.

Whether the newspaper editor prefers to assign stories or accept a pitch depends entirely on what they need. When I freelanced for my local fishwrap the particular editor had read my clips in other publications and offered me the opportunity to write book reviews for the paper. From there I started doing movie reviews as well.

My guess is most editors will tell you what he or she wants rather than ask you what you got.

The major difference I had between newspaper and magazine editors was I could have face-to-face exchanges with newspaper editors where I've never met most of the editors of magazines or online publications I've written for. The pay varies as well. When I wrote a for a newspaer I knew I was going to get $75 no matter how long, short, good or bad it was. Today, I'm contributing to a Washington Post affiliated publication and I've already made over $1000 this year.

Jwriter

Going places
Registered
Reaction score
I work for a newspaper, and the stringers we use got in touch with the editor (that's the features editor for us) and shared a few writing samples online, and then they got added to the regular go-to list. They regularly get assignments now, but when they come up with a story idea on their own they usually get the go-ahead on that, too.

The cleaner the copy is, and the less re-working it needs, the more you'll be used.

xitomatl

Celsius 232
Registered
Reaction score
I work in newspaper publishing so I'll see if I can give you my quick two-cents as well as an active worker in the industry (I will interject here that I have only ever worked for smaller papers... we aren't talking The Guardian here).

I want to echo what Jwriter says as well - exact same experience for the paper(s) I work for.

First, do newspapers ususally work with freelancers? (I'm assuming the answer here is "yes".)
Absolutely. Big or small. And if you can photograph and write they're a lot more likely to use you. Doesn't have to be award winning photography, but basic composition knowledge is good.

Do editors for newspapers prefer queries where they can assign articles or (due to the more strict deadlines) would they rather recieve assignments on spec?
A query with examples of your writing is best to get you in the door. If you just happen to be at something notable that didn't have coverage, submit that as an article.

Is dealing with newspapers pretty much the same as dealing with magazines? What are the major differences?
The major difference is the writing style. Newspapers, unless you're doing reviews or sports (or sometimes columns depending on what said column is), don't want flowery prose, they want the facts, and they want them in the least amount of words possible. They also expect you to submit them pretty clean (as Jwriter said). They don't want to spend an hour editing a 250 word piece. Another major difference: as I mentioned before, there's a 99% chance that you won't get the in-house photographer to take pictures with you, if they even have an in-house photographer.

Caroline

Registered
Reaction score
With newspapers, you'll probably have a much shorter deadlines. And, after an initial query, the editors will probably be more likely to just contact you with assignments than a magazine would be (meaning you probably won't have to continuously query a paper if the editor likes your work.) With newspapers, stories are out there that need to be covered, so that takes up most of their space and leaves them with a lot less room to play around with themes or features than with a magazine. I agree with xitomatl that being able to take decent photographs will definitely make you more attractive to an editor. And, most newspapers use AP style, so be sure to familiarize yourself with it, if you aren't already.

If you've never written for a newspaper before, your local small-town paper is an excellent place to start. Small papers are often much easier to break into than big papers, and will provide you with more clips you can use when you do decide to query bigger papers. The very first thing I had published anywhere was an article on rising gas prices for a small local paper, and I got the gig simply by calling the editor, introducing myself, and telling him I was available.

Good luck!

Irishmom

Registered
Reaction score
I recently started to freelance for a New York Times regional and much of what's been said already reflects my experience so far.

I receive emails that the features editor sends to her pool of freelancers, and people respond to what they're interested in. I have also successfully pitched stories.

If you're used to receiving magazine rates, newspaper rates may be a shock!

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
I've been focusing on freelance writing for magazines. But I have several questions about writing for newspapers:

Some do, some don't. The only way to find out is to ask!
I've written freelance on an ongoing basis for four different papers in the last twenty years, occasional freelance for more. In each case, I asked the editor what their needs were, what they would consider, and so forth. Once established, I've worked with them on assignment but often came up with my own story ideas (which needed to be approved)
Newspapers are usually dailies, not monthlies. My pay for any newspaper freelance work usually comes once a month out of whatever syndicate (most papers are part of a syndicate or group these days). Magazines methods of payment vary and so do newspapers
P.S. I couldn't find another thread on this topic, so if anyone knows of one, please let me know.

I've answered the questions above in blue; if you have other questions not covered, freel free to PM me.

VBurd2128

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I don't have any advice to give you about newspaper writing (I myself learned a lot reading the responses), but I admire your interest. I've written for a number of publications, most online but some were print magazines, but I have never had any of my writing put out on newsprint.

A goal of mine is to make that happen at least once before actual newspapers become a thing of the past. (Although I hope that last part doesn't happen) :)

Fatal Serenity

Eccentric to the core.
Registered
Reaction score
It truely saddens me how our modern society relies on instant knowledge and constant technology. I pray that I never see the day when newspapers and other print publications become obsolete!

Fatal Serenity

Eccentric to the core.
Registered
Reaction score
Just sent out a Letter of Introduction to my local newspaper stating my availability and abilities/experience. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. :)