Print vs eBook

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuliePgh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
juliekcohen.com
I hope I haven't just missed this somewhere, but...

1) What are the advantages / disadvantages between looking for a publisher for printed books vs ebooks?

2) Is there a difference in the type of novel that is published online vs in print?

Thank you!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The first thing I would say is that ebook versus print is purely a format matter. Harlequin puts out ebooks, as do small presses and self-publishers. The format is not really the main thing to look at IMHO, but the publisher as a whole package.

JuliePgh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
juliekcohen.com
So, basically, look at the publisher's guidelines, what they're looking for in a story line, and disregard whether it's a print line or ebook line? Look at fit, not format?

I haven't wrapped my head around the possibility of my book as an ebook, and am still looking at printed lines. I have a feeling I'm limiting myself with some backward notion that ebooks may not be as 'good' an option as print. (I don't intend to insult anyone here who has published ebooks... just trying to get used to the change in technology/publishing industry as a whole). It's been a while since I tried marketing my book.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
Format, as Veinglory implied, isn't the issue. The issues that writers should care about are money and specialty -- what does the average writer make with a publisher, what does the top writer make, what does the bottom writer make, and what types of books does that publisher do best with. You need to know the publishers, where their strengths are, and where you fit with their strengths.

And then start at the top (bestpaying, with highest sales and best distribution) for your type of book, working your way down the list until it sells (or is otherwise taken off the market). Sometimes, for a niche writer, that means start with a small publisher, because the larger publishers can't handle that niche. If the book has mass market appeal, though, start with a larger publisher, where you'll have the best distribution and best potential return on investment.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
To me the point isn't the fit between your book and the guidelines. In most cases a great many publishers will be looking for a book more or less like yours assuming it is novel length and genre romance or women's fiction.

I mean the publisher as a total package=assuming they accept yourbook, how many will they sell and how much will they pay you. The format of those books being secondary to the number and amount (at least for me).

Dee Carney

Bringing sexy back
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deecarney.com

1) What are the advantages / disadvantages between looking for a publisher for printed books vs ebooks?

2) Is there a difference in the type of novel that is published online vs in print?

Thank you!

I can only speak from an epubbed POV, so I'll tell you what I like about it.

1. I personally don't like having a finished book sitting around while I wait for an agent/publisher/editor to decide to pick it up. When I finish writing a story, I sub it to my publisher, then get moving on writing the next one. Which brings me to my next point.
  2. Response times from epublishers are generally under 4 months, with 2 probably being the norm for the publishers I work with.
  3. I receive royalty checks monthly and quarterly.
  4. I prefer to write shorter stories--typically around 30K. I can do that in a few weeks' time. My understanding is print publishers generally do not accept that length.
  5. When I have decided to write longer (only twice, lol), some of my epubs do have print possibility if it's really a burning desire (never has been).
If I think of more things I like (and I know there are more; these were just the biggies), I'll try to come back and post them, but I think those are my major reasons for staying right where I am. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I make quite a tidy profit writing for epubs.

I also proofread for one of my publishers, and I can tell you that some of the stories that I've read are hands down as good, if not better, than a lot of NY published stories. There are a lot of talented people out there choosing to go both routes simultaneously. It's a good plan and one I might embrace further (farther? I never get that right) down the road.

Last edited:

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com

If you go with one of the big print publishers, you will very likely also be available in e-format. If you are with an e-publisher, they may well make POD books available.
It's not so much about format.

To see who publishes what, I'd suggest you go on-line and look at the offerings. Go to a bookstore and browse, taking note of the publishers.

You will probably want to submit to the companies that pay the most. See Brenda Hiatt here. (Thank you, Brenda Hiatt.) Hiatt's numbers are not as broadbased and deep as we'd all like and some of the numbers are old, but it is wonderful to have a ballpark.

In terms of money, the publisher is very important. A median book at one publisher earns $30,000. A median book at another earns $100.

Hiatt's list makes it clear that median earn-out from mass-market print publishers is considerably higher than from e-publishers. That said, the median earn-out at Ellora's Cave is not much below the median earn-out of some mass-market print publishers.

Last edited:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha

A publisher with books in the stores is probably not a scam operation.

Generally speaking, the money is WAY better for print publication with even a small press over a royal-only paying e-press.

Again, this is an old list, but the royalty-only paying e-books are not in the same league as advance paying print books.

http://www.brendahiatt.com/id2.html

Sure, you might bet a 40% royalty on the "cover" price of an ebook, but only make a few hundred sales.

That's not as good as getting a 3-4-5 figure advance from a print house.

Sometimes. They may share genres and audiences, and younger readers raised on computers are more comfortable with an e-formats, but hands down, the sales are better for print books in the stores.

The gap is closing. Some e-titles are outselling print books, however, these are titles that also sell in print.

Print publishers are jumping on the e-book bandwagon now that e-readers are the hot new toy. Expect to see a big push in reading device sales for Christmas.

Yes, there will be more e-book downloads, but for now they will be placed with the big publishers who have name writers with a track record of sales. Those writers will get paid advances.

Writers who go for a house that offers only online sales will not sell as many copies.

I don't like having a book lying around while it's being shopped by my agent, either.

But it's part of the job if I want to get the best money for it.

If you're happy and comfortable with an e-pub operation, then go for it.

But I like the print publishing money that includes e-sales in the contract.

Deleted member 42

If you're happy and comfortable with an e-pub operation, then go for it.

But I like the print publishing money that includes e-sales in the contract.

What she said.

Keep in mind too that a mass market print publisher will advertise and promote the printed book -- and the ebook benefits from that publicity too.

JuliePgh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
juliekcohen.com
Thank you everyone for all the insight and willingness to share. That's what I love about this group... great people all around! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.