Was Adam really the first man created on earth?

Was Adam really the first man created

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommy

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
tommycolettamarketing.com
Hey Thanks everybody and keep your comments coming. I deleted my post here of what I took out of the KJV Bible because it loooked as though I was spamming (I also listed the post in the Christian section to see what they had to say. A No-No!) First of all, this was not my sole opinion-it was just what I read. I am not an expert on the subject.All of your replies or most of your replies have been very interresting and very informative. But try to tell this ( your findings) to devout closed minded reveling church goers here in the Bible Belt - who believe if it is written in the Bible do not question anything. The truth is based on fact, but not to these people. If it is written in the Bible - case closed! Please answer the poll, because the results look very close. Soon, I will have more questions for everybody. So, please keep your comments coming.....Thanks again and look for more.

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another difference between Adam and the Neanderthal caveman was that Adam was educated and could talk. According to the Book of Genesis, Adam named the animals and named God. The Neanderthal caveman was primitive and only grunted.

My opinion is you should update your understanding of scientific understanding. Last I heard, it's been figured out that Neanderthals were capable of speech and had as complex a society as the other humans of that era. Even popular means such as the Discover or the Science Channels reflect this.

You're also assuming that our understanding of "education" is the measure by which all must be judged. This is a vain and self-serving habit that many Western peoples fall victim to throughout history since, obviously, what they are in their present moment is obviously the epitome of what humankind can achieve and everything prior to them must be primitive, and thus completely dismissable, in comparison.

Shiny

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Tommy, the questions in your poll presume a creator. I would say evolved, rather than created, although many would say both.

What's your opinion?

Creation stories all around the world, from different cultures and religions, are fascinating fictional stories. Genesis is one of those stories.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

1. I wish people who want to do close reading of the OT would learn Hebrew.

2. Adam = "man" (adam) but etymologically adam derives from the Hebrew word adamah, ground (yes, just like BSG!), and morphologically adam = literally, "the one formed from the ground."

3. This is much like Latin homo "man" is derived from humanus, (modern English's source for human) is derived from humus, "ground, soil, earth."

I think Adam and Eve (and Lilith) are poetic metaphor, though I do suspect that there's a specific geographic reference to "eden," lost in mythology.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think the creation of Adam and Eve is just that. A story about the creation of the Earth. I do not, as a Christian, take it literally. So the math doesn't matter to me. The Bible is a book about faith not science.

This. Jesus spoke in parables all the time, and nobody has a problem with that. Why can't the first few chapters of Genesis be a parable as well? It being a parable is not a challenge to God's supremacy at all.

If we take the Bible as science, then you get speckled rams by having their parents mate in front of multi-colored reeds (Gen 30:37-43), but college students aren't disrupting class to argue that point.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know why, but I decided to actually read the full OP. funniest post I've read in a long while. Kudos tommy . :D

Deleted member 42

This. Jesus spoke in parables all the time, and nobody has a problem with that. Why can't the first few chapters of Genesis be a parable as well? It being a parable is not a challenge to God's supremacy at all.

There are a number of words in the OT that are hapax legomenon.

They only occur in the OT (and works about that occurence). So we don't really know what they mean. A number of them are words for time.

Shiny

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Also, there are some of those out there who think that man evolved from an ape which I highly disagree.

I've honestly never met someone who believes this. Ever.

I'm descended from hominids. I think they're cool. I share a common ancestor with apes. They're spectacular creatures.

Edited to add: as in modern apes.

I do not think that the angels would have been attracted to a gorilla.
My sincere and earnest hope is that only gorillas will be attracted to gorillas.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I firmly believe that man was created in God’s image and God is not an ape which is further evidenced by the fact that angels of heaven gazed down upon the beauty of the earthly maidens. They descended to earth and took these maidens as their wives which angered God.
I do not think that the angels would have been attracted to a gorilla.

If God were an ape, of course angels would want gorillas. You've just proven that God is an ape!

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I just want to know if Adam had a bellybutton.

Status
Not open for further replies.