AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Display site] Author For Sale

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar

[Display site] Author For Sale

Received in my mail this morning, under the subject line Inspiring Author Showcase Portal:
    Hello Author [Name Namety Misspelled Name],

Author For Sale. com The Showcase for authors where the publisher comes looking for You!

Visit: www.authorforsale.com
    YADS: Yet Another Display Site.
    The above link is exciting news for authors everywhere and is turning the literary industry on its head. It is fast altering the balance of power in the endeavour of publication and contract negotiation.
    The person who wrote this copy speaks English as a second language. I offer this as an observation, not a criticism.
    You can now present your literary talent on a truly international stage,
    They're in Australia.
    and be seen by 100's of publishers specializing in your specific genre,
    They're not publishing industry people, or they'd know that few genres have hundreds of publishers specializing in them.
    all searching for new or established authors. This means that when you get a book deal offer, you may even have more than one on the table to barter with, rather than have to accept the only deal available.

You are being offered a confidential Free Trial Showcase Listing valid until September 30th as part of a Writers Group association.
    I'm confident that no writers' group with which I'm associated would sell these guys their mailing list.
    After the Free Trial date you may terminate your listing with no obligations or renew your account by payment of the membership listing fee as ruling on October 1st 2010. Your Free Showcase Listing will attract the exact same benefits entitled to fully subscribed members, so the sooner you register, the more free.exposure you'll have.

Your Showcase can present an intended literary concept, a work-in-progress draft or a completed manuscript. Getting early exposure may even attract an advance to complet it.
    You can put up your book ideas on their site? That's useless. Also, book ideas are a lot more stealable than manuscripts.

Needless to say, the odds are very low that an unpublished author with an unfinished novel on a display site is going to get a contract and advance on that basis. That's separate from the extremely low odds that an unpublished author's book will be discovered by an editor because it's on a display site. (Editors have more slush than they can eat. They don't have to go looking for more.)
    Go to Home Page, read the How It Works & Authors Links, then return to Home Page and click on the large Authors Submit Listing. Fill in Registration Form,
    They want first and last name, email address, street address, country, state, postal code, and phone number. They'll get value out of their authors no matter what.
    click the Secure Payment but DO NOT MAKE PAYMENT, but click the Strategic Encounters link and return to the site. Our Admin System will recognise your application and overrule the payment requirement and send you an Activation Link to the e-mail address in your application form. Activate Link and you'll have access to a blank Showcase Template via your Login details as registered.

Good luck and keep on writing...

Author For Sale.com

Click here to unscribe newsletters from Authorforsale.com

Warm Regards,
    AUTHOR FOR SALE
    Is somebody out there marketing a "Create Your Own Display Site" kit? There are so many of these, and there's so little difference between them.
    Last edited by HapiSofi; 07-20-2010 at 07:37 PM.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

Always writing AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    And the influx of e-mail and snail-mail spam deluging you right after you fill this out will have nothing to do with this site. Nothing.

Speaking as someone who was inexperienced enough to pay $89 to Writer's Edge several years back:

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Hee. Here's Writer Beware's take on this venture: http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2010/0...ut-really.html
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    Y'know, it'd be cheaper and just as effective to make a couple copies of your manuscript, fly to New York, and throw the copies off the top of the Empire State Building.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BenPanced View Post
    Y'know, it'd be cheaper and just as effective to make a couple copies of your manuscript, fly to New York, and throw the copies off the top of the Empire State Building.
    Plus you can sample all the food carts and trucks along the way . . .

AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

Whatever I did, I didn't do it. Phaeal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BenPanced View Post
    Great idea, because after you've brained an innocent passerby with the MS, you can sell it as the Famous Death Book.
    SUMM0NED (T0R, available NOW!) Real magic becomes real trouble when Sean summons the wrong familiar.

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
    Plus you can sample all the food carts and trucks along the way . . .
    Mmm...hot soft pretzels...extra mustard, pleez...
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
    Great idea, because after you've brained an innocent passerby with the MS, you can sell it as the Famous Death Book.
    Maybe I could sell THAT one for $75,000 per copy!
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    The most important thing to know about AuthorForSale: it wants publishers to pay $5,600--that's right, five thousand six hundred smackeroos--to participate.

Yeah. That's going to happen.

- Victoria

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post
    it wants publishers to pay $5,600
    Don't they know that smoking that stuff is illegal?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Fortunately, looks no one bought. Gone now.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

A Gentleman of a refined age... thothguard51's Avatar
    Website was costing more than they were obviously getting...

Why do sites like these think authors are money bags?
    Knowledge is learned while wisdom is earned.

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
    Book 1, A Game of Pawns
    Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
    Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
    Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
    Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post
    The most important thing to know about AuthorForSale: it wants publishers to pay $5,600--that's right, five thousand six hundred smackeroos--to participate.
    Um, because we know how desperate great publishers are to wade through YADS.

[boggled]
    Emily Veinglory