• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

LazyDay Publishing

Steam&Ink

sekrit superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Bottom-right hand side of the map. Tucked away dow
Website
steamandink.blogspot.com
There aren't any excerpts on the site, which I find confusing. Excerpts sell books. Very few people will buy a book from an author they don't know and a publisher they don't know when they can't even read a short sample. Anything could be in that file.

If they want to sell books they really ought to put excerpts up, because readers have said time and time again that they won't buy books without excerpts.

OK, I thought it was just me being stupid and not able to find the excerpts.

I'm surprised that an e-pub wants me to buy a novel without a taste of how the writing is. After all, I'd never buy a book from Borders without having a browse of a couple of pages.

Reading an excerpt is a useful decision-making tool, and I'm concerned LD is doing their authors a disservice here.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
So, it's been a year -- any word on sales levels, etc?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I revisited the site and it still looks good but the blurbs on various book are not what I would call professionally edited. Every one of them had grammar issues...

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I picked a LazyDay title at random to see what the editing was like. Judge for yourself:

As you have probably guessed by now, I am not an avid outdoorsman much less, a seafaring man.

Covering this story meant a chance at world wide exposure and the attention the major news medias needed to alert them to an adventurous, tenacious journalist that, in earnest, could deliver.

It was the face that dictated years of premature aging that only the sea can do to a man. Even the stock of jet black hair hadn't escaped and was beginning to show signs of peppering with unique shining speckles of silver-grey. His age was undeterminable. I first guessed him to be around forty but I was wrong by ten years his senior.

Then he looked up with a crease of a wry smile crossing his thin, course jaw.

The element of embarrassment became facially obvious and the way I had announced it during the drunken gaiety of that particular evening flooded a still sluggish memory.

Edwards took a glance my way and his eyes locked onto mine in a deep, searching lull. His moderate alto drawl shattered the measured silence when he obligingly uttered, "We're about to find out, my friend. The signal to activate has just been given.”

This was the abyss I was about to ascend into.

I descended into what must have been the third class passenger's open space which was designated the area aboard ship reserved for the steerage passenger’s recreational activities.

I could go on but I won't. It's hard to believe this book underwent even the most basic copy-editing, which might explain the following ad:

LazyDay Publishing Seeking Freelance Copy Editor
Posted on February 13, 2013 by Lisa Mills

LazyDay Publishing, a digital publisher located in Reno, is seeking a freelance copy editor to join its team. The company has been in business since December of 2010 and is scheduled to have over 100 books in its library by the end of 2013. Many of the company’s books have become bestsellers on Amazon.

This is a work-at-home position. You must be deadline oriented. The company pays a flat $150 per book. You must have excellent English language, grammar, punctuation, and spelling abilities, and you must understand the concepts of passive/active voice and have editing experience.

All candidates will be required to test. If interested in this home-based opportunity, please contact: [email protected]. Good luck!

This position was found on Craigslist, so please do your own due diligence.
http://workathomemomrevolution.com/freelance-gigs/lazyday-publishing-seeking-freelance-copy-editor/

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I can imagine the kind of editor they'll be able to hire for that price, and I'm not sure it's going to do them a whole lot of good.

AmberS

Baby author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoramberlin.com
I agree the sample is a mess, but I found it interesting that the job listing didn't link to the craigslist post it mentioned nor could I find it anywhere online. Usually caching will at least keep something. No reason to think they would lie about it, just seems odd.