• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Submission Service] Pubmission

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Saw this on Twitter.

http://www.pubmission.com

From an article on the service:

http://publishingperspectives.com/?p=18307 said:
Pubmission.com, which launched last Friday, offers writers an efficient means of submitting their unsolicited manuscripts to publishers, and publishers a way to sort through the slush.

“Publishers are overwhelmed and don’t want more manuscripts than they can handle. That’s where we come in,” says owner Wolf Hoelscher.

It sounds a lot like that service that was supposed to make it easier to query agents, except this one charges publishers and writers instead of just writers.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Wolf Hoelscher, the founder and owner of Pubmission, has 13 years of experience in the publishing industry, most of it as a senior editor or an acquisitions editor at both print- and web-based companies.

Through his copywriting service (http://www.bullseyewriting.com/index.htm), we find his résumé (.pdf).

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
So, agents are suppose to come to them to find your work? Sorry, I was under the impreshon that agents had enugh slush...

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
It's for publishers, not agents.

When it opened its doors for writers last week, no publishers were signed up at all. Now there appear to be several, but all accept submissions direct from writers, making submitting via a submission service a bit redundant--especially if writers are expected to pay for membership.

I'm planning on blogging about Pubmission toward the end of the week.

- Victoria

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
Even still. Publisher or Agent. I thought they had enugh slush

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I saw it on Twitter too when Carole Blake tweeted that agents do all of this already, only without upfront charges. She has a point.

AngelicaRJackson

Angelic Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
AngelicaRJackson.blogspot.com
There was a Pubmission post on the WOW! Women on Writing blog yesterday. It does give a lot more details, but keep in mind that this is probably one of the posts that WOW! does when someone pays for their PR or blog tour services (nothing wrong with that per se, I've come across some interesting resources).

Pubmission has started awarding 6 "credits" just for signing up, so you could theoretically post something to test the waters. One thing I didn't like is that the list of publishers currently enrolled is not visible unless you register (and their signup form requires your PHONE #--no thank you!). Mr. Hoelscher does say that a lot of the pubs that are signed up are smaller and/or independent presses.

I could see this being a useful service for niche publishers, but I really can't picture any of the big ones paying $300 a year for the privilege of reading more slush--unless the submissions went through some sort of screening process. As it stands now, just because a writer can afford the service is no guarantee that their work will be better than anything else that comes over the transom.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
They still have no publishers to which you couldn't submit on your own, sans agent--plus they have a "literary assessment service," which claims to offer a kind of go-between service between writers and agents/publishers, and is run by people with no evident professional writing or publishing experience (which may explain why they are deluded enough to imagine that a publisher or agent would pay them a finder's fee).

So I still fail to see the point of paying for this service--from the author's perspective, anyway.

- Victoria

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Front page has read "We’re making a few changes. Be back soon!" since Fall '14.