AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Submission Service] Pubmission

Absolutely Fazed

[Submission Service] Pubmission

Saw this on Twitter.

http://www.pubmission.com

From an article on the service:

Quote Originally Posted by http://publishingperspectives.com/?p=18307
    Pubmission.com, which launched last Friday, offers writers an efficient means of submitting their unsolicited manuscripts to publishers, and publishers a way to sort through the slush.

“Publishers are overwhelmed and don’t want more manuscripts than they can handle. That’s where we come in,” says owner Wolf Hoelscher.
    It sounds a lot like that service that was supposed to make it easier to query agents, except this one charges publishers and writers instead of just writers.

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    And beta on top of that.
    Last edited by BenPanced; 07-14-2010 at 07:37 PM.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Wolf Hoelscher, the founder and owner of Pubmission, has 13 years of experience in the publishing industry, most of it as a senior editor or an acquisitions editor at both print- and web-based companies.
    Through his copywriting service (http://www.bullseyewriting.com/index.htm), we find his résumé (.pdf).
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

So, agents are suppose to come to them to find your work? Sorry, I was under the impreshon that agents had enugh slush...
    In Progress:
    Prince$$ Ti@ of Alumin@ Querying :S

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    Another useless service...
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    It's for publishers, not agents.

When it opened its doors for writers last week, no publishers were signed up at all. Now there appear to be several, but all accept submissions direct from writers, making submitting via a submission service a bit redundant--especially if writers are expected to pay for membership.

I'm planning on blogging about Pubmission toward the end of the week.

- Victoria

Even still. Publisher or Agent. I thought they had enugh slush
    In Progress:
    Prince$$ Ti@ of Alumin@ Querying :S

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    I saw it on Twitter too when Carole Blake tweeted that agents do all of this already, only without upfront charges. She has a point.

Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
    Most agents and editors take email now anyway, or have online submission forms. So saying that it "digitizes" the submission process is archaic.

There was a Pubmission post on the WOW! Women on Writing blog yesterday. It does give a lot more details, but keep in mind that this is probably one of the posts that WOW! does when someone pays for their PR or blog tour services (nothing wrong with that per se, I've come across some interesting resources).

Pubmission has started awarding 6 "credits" just for signing up, so you could theoretically post something to test the waters. One thing I didn't like is that the list of publishers currently enrolled is not visible unless you register (and their signup form requires your PHONE #--no thank you!). Mr. Hoelscher does say that a lot of the pubs that are signed up are smaller and/or independent presses.

I could see this being a useful service for niche publishers, but I really can't picture any of the big ones paying $300 a year for the privilege of reading more slush--unless the submissions went through some sort of screening process. As it stands now, just because a writer can afford the service is no guarantee that their work will be better than anything else that comes over the transom.
    Angelica R. Jackson, Writer and Photographer

Crow's Rest, a darkly funny young adult urban fantasy, forthcoming from Spencer Hill Press in May 2015
    Add it on Goodreads

Website
    Blog: Angelic Muse: Angelica R. Jackson
    Photography
    Twitter: @angelicarjaxon
    Facebook

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    They still have no publishers to which you couldn't submit on your own, sans agent--plus they have a "literary assessment service," which claims to offer a kind of go-between service between writers and agents/publishers, and is run by people with no evident professional writing or publishing experience (which may explain why they are deluded enough to imagine that a publisher or agent would pay them a finder's fee).

So I still fail to see the point of paying for this service--from the author's perspective, anyway.

- Victoria

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Front page has read "We’re making a few changes. Be back soon!" since Fall '14.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: