• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Job listing] Upwork Global, Inc. (formerly Elance, Inc.)

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
link

it's not really free to use (it gives a few sign-on tokens) and most writing projects are listed at "under $500"

Is it worth it? do you or does some one you know use it?

more words/opinions/thoughts about it?

Lyra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimfarnell.co.uk
I use it. And I've made $44k there over the last few years. (If you PM me, I don't mind telling you my username so you can see my profile, but I don't want to put my real name up here.)

It takes some thought and work to get started, but it's possible to make a reasonable amount of money. The forums (water cooler) on Elance are a mine of information and well worth looking through if you're planning to give it a try.

To stand a chance you really need a paid membership. And remember that you have to factor in Elance's commission. Most people in the US - who have been there a while - estimate about 10% of their bids succeed. About 90% of the projects go to about 10% of the providers in the writing category. With a good profile and samples to show, you're already ahead of the masses. Although taking a relatively low paid project for initial feedback can help, it's often counter productive to bid too low. Under $500 projects can be worth it at times, as they may lead to more or take little effort. You need to learn to read between the lines.

On the negative side, the system can be a nightmare to navigate and there are some real sharks posting projects :-(

You won't get rich on there, but it's possible to make $1-2k per month with concerted effort. I have other avenues so I don't focus on it to that extent.

writernow

Registered
Reaction score
I landed a small (under $500) project while I had a free membership. Since the first level of paid membership is only $10/month and that permits me to put in more bids per month, I decided to go ahead with that expense. I like that they have a wide range of projects posted there, and that they have the escrow set up so you can receive payments immediately after completing a project.